PDA

View Full Version : Abu Garcia Toro

SOSO
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Thinking about getting this reel for smaller swimbaits for fresh and saltwater. Anyone have this reel? Wondering if it's worth $275.00 .

samgann93
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
get a calcutta. i personnally like em better. or my favorite is a curado. the new one.

Nessie Hunter
01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
The Revo Toro is a sweet reel... That 60 size is an awesome offshore reel..

Would love to try one out, havnt had the opportunity to handle one yet.

spooky007
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Awesome reel!! I love Shimanos and had 3 curado 300s just one now, and have the calcutta conquest, the toro is my new favorite reel for throwing the big baits!!! I preffer low pros and this reel fits the bill nicely!! Plus you have the option of buying a 5.4:1 or 6.4:1. Plus if you buy one right now, you get a free pair of wiley X glasses $130 value or there is a $20 off rebate. Also tacklewarehouse sells the 50 for $239

Al

SOSO
01-23-2009, 09:55 PM
The Revo Toro is a sweet reel... That 60 size is an awesome offshore reel..

Would love to try one out, havnt had the opportunity to handle one yet.

What line & lures would you fish the size 60 offshore?

SOSO
01-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Awesome reel!! I love Shimanos and had 3 curado 300s just one now, and have the calcutta conquest, the toro is my new favorite reel for throwing the big baits!!! I preffer low pros and this reel fits the bill nicely!! Plus you have the option of buying a 5.4:1 or 6.4:1. Plus if you buy one right now, you get a free pair of wiley X glasses $130 value or there is a $20 off rebate. Also tacklewarehouse sells the 50 for $239

Al

Yeah, i'm really liking Low pro baitcasters vs. round reels. I fished the Curado 300 last summer in salt. Handled well against Cudas & Bonitos. Round reels were being left behind more and more.

shy_boxer
01-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Soso stick with shimano!!

Nessie Hunter
01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
What line & lures would you fish the size 60 offshore?

Me?? I would fill it with 30# spectra and top shot with up to 17# for anything you may get up to 25# fish.....
That would be anything you may get in local waters..

Private boating would be fun, cattle boats they frown on fighting them to long.....

mrjonez
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Me?? I would fill it with 30# spectra and top shot with up to 17# for anything you may get up to 25# fish.....
That would be anything you may get in local waters..

agreed. you could even go up to 50lb spectra with the toro. i use 30 on my revo and its the stuff.

surfnfish
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
The Toro is a pretty sweet inshore reel. Matched with a swimbait rod, it can fire swimbaits and light irons. It is great in-hand and casts better than any freespinning reel I've ever used(not including DC's). However, if you are thinking about using a low-profile reel offshore, stick with the Curado 300. The Toro just doesn't have the torque to land fish like albacore or yellows. I fished with both this past summer and I'm not denying the Toro in the least. It would be great for freshwater swimmies or fishing inshore saltwater. But when it comes to big game, it just can't hang with the Curado. Hope that helps you make your decision.

SOSO
01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
The Toro is a pretty sweet inshore reel. Matched with a swimbait rod, it can fire swimbaits and light irons. It is great in-hand and casts better than any freespinning reel I've ever used(not including DC's). However, if you are thinking about using a low-profile reel offshore, stick with the Curado 300. The Toro just doesn't have the torque to land fish like albacore or yellows. I fished with both this past summer and I'm not denying the Toro in the least. It would be great for freshwater swimmies or fishing inshore saltwater. But when it comes to big game, it just can't hang with the Curado. Hope that helps you make your decision.

Thanks for the helpful insight.

Older Curado D 300 or newer Curado E 300? Any difference in torque? They have similar line capacity.

surfnfish
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, honestly I've never fished the Curado 300 E. It does feel awesome in hand though, I think thats it's just because I'm used to the D series 300's and it feels the same. I don't know of any difference in torque, in fact i think the olnly difference is the extra bearing(s) in the reel. I'm not even sure where they are. I do love the new 200 E's though, I fish an E5 and an E7 and if the 300 E is anything like those I'll have to swap out my old 300 D's for the newer upgrades.

a biley
01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Dude the toro will bring in fish easy!!! 22 lbs of drag... i don't know how abu garcia gets that much drag in their low profile reels.

Toro: 22
Revo Winch: 24
Revo S: 22
Revo SX: 24
Revo STX: 24

surfnfish
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
They don't. The drags certainly can handle bigger fish, but we've tested out the Toro 50, 60, the Inshore, the STX and the Premier and I don't recall any gettin more than 15 pounds of drag. That is stil certainly enough to handle bigger fish, but what the Toro's lack is the torque. They just aren't as buttery when your really tryin to hammer on big game.

gallogg
01-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Dude,

That's a lot of money for Garcia!

Sammy

mrjonez
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
They don't. The drags certainly can handle bigger fish, but we've tested out the Toro 50, 60, the Inshore, the STX and the Premier and I don't recall any gettin more than 15 pounds of drag. That is stil certainly enough to handle bigger fish, but what the Toro's lack is the torque. They just aren't as buttery when your really tryin to hammer on big game.

i had to mess with my revo a bit (carbon fiber drag, mess with the little springy piece under the nut), but now i can pin that thing and it wont move. i turned a huge bat ray in catalina with it. i think it would be fine for albacore, at least im going to try before the deckhand yells at me. but it feels like it would exploded if i had a big yellowtail.

surfnfish
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Haha the deckies think its funny when you break out that kind of gear, they laughed at me on one trip last summer until on two separate occasions I hooked fish with my Curado on the slide and had them boated before the troll fish. I think to put an end to everything its all a matter of opinion, I felt that the Toros don't get enough POWER/TORQUE it gets plenty of drag. I personally prefer the Curado but I know several others who feel differently.