PDA

View Full Version : Winter Time Sand Bass Fishing

Jackpot Jimmy
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I do honestly believe that you guys would know about this topic, but I also believe that this is an issue with a lot of people going out during the winter and fishing these bass in the structure. People fishing the 10-20# string most often get broken off, and when they do get in the rocks, they don't have the power to pull them out. Standing behind the crew and regulars of the Spitfire, I've learned what this kind of fishing is all about. Before I tried this, I was used to fishing the hard bottom spots, where you can use light line, and pull nice bass up on the boat.

First off, when I said you needed "ninja-like reflexes", I may have exaggerated, but I was not kidding. Just a 1/2 second could mean the difference between putting the wood to a nice bass, or getting stuck in the rocks. You have to pay attention at all times and you have to be able to tell the difference between a perch "tap" and a bass "thump".

Next, the tackle. 25# would be the minimum, and go up to 40#. You could probably get away with 20#, but a lot of fish are lost on this. What I suggest is at least a 5.2:1 reel like a TLD 15/30, and then having the 6:1 gear ratio reels like Newells or Toriums. With getting that first crucial wind, you are already 6 feet off of the bottom. And you really have to get them out quickly. A fast tapered rod is a must, having a sensitive tip, but having a lot of backbone to get the fish up out of the stones. When you fish the Spit, check out the rods that Steve-O and Debo have, and that's the kind of rods that are perfect for it.

Lastly, retie after every fish! Even if you feel the slightest fray, don't think you can get away with that, just retie! You may go through quite a bit of line, but it is worth it! Bring the 1.5-3 oz. leadheads, and some chartruse mogambos, and go put the wood to some bass!

(Forgive me if I missed something or you spot something wrong. These are the tips I've compiled from my experience the last few weeks, and others on the boat. And I did not read the WON article on this topic. :LOL:)

one_leg
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Jimmy, that info is really good stuff. I like using a short leader on the end of my braid for more sensativity.

Vman
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
You did not exaggerate about the ninja reflex. Sandbass in structure is something I love to do. I 'd keep cranking through out the hookset to pull that bass straight up.

Good Stuff. Thanks for Sharing.

cappo
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
what no pics?JK Jimmy. Those are great tips and all you need to know about fishing the rock piles.

Another tip, dont take your rod with you to the bait tank or your spot will get poached.