PDA

View Full Version : Short sightedness is annoying to listen to...

Funjunkie74
01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Now, I'm not one to usually rant and rave about something.
But this one, I just don't get.

http://www.sportcon.org/nowear.html

So the idea is that they want to petition the requirement of having to wear the fishing license in a visible spot.

Yeah, I agree to some degree that this is an annoying thing to have to do.
It gets in the way, the strap is wrapping around your neck cutting off blood circulation...etc.

So, what about those idiots that don't have licenses?
If we start keeping our licenses in our wallets and back pockets, how can we visually distinguish "those with" and "those without".
Why should we let those people enjoy a sport that we support by paying for a license?

So, okay, the point is it's annoying to have to wear it.
But wouldn't it be more annoying to see someone get away with not paying the 40-something bucks?
Wouldn't it be more annoying to eventually see everyone else not get a license and finally ruin the sportsfishing industry?

These guys, I have no personal contact with, so I can't say anything bad (or good) about them. However, if you limit your range of view to things that bother just yourself without considering the consequences, you're not doing anything good in the long run.

Whatcha think?

FJ74

one_leg
01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Joe, thanks for posting this thread, It is a very important topic.

I wonder how people that drive would feel about having to wear their licenses and registration in plain view?

ghetto dad
01-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Now, I'm not one to usually rant and rave about something.
But this one, I just don't get.

http://www.sportcon.org/nowear.html

So the idea is that they want to petition the requirement of having to wear the fishing license in a visible spot.

Yeah, I agree to some degree that this is an annoying thing to have to do.
It gets in the way, the strap is wrapping around your neck cutting off blood circulation...etc.

So, what about those idiots that don't have licenses?
If we start keeping our licenses in our wallets and back pockets, how can we visually distinguish "those with" and "those without".
Why should we let those people enjoy a sport that we support by paying for a license?

So, okay, the point is it's annoying to have to wear it.
But wouldn't it be more annoying to see someone get away with not paying the 40-something bucks?
Wouldn't it be more annoying to eventually see everyone else not get a license and finally ruin the sportsfishing industry?

These guys, I have no personal contact with, so I can't say anything bad (or good) about them. However, if you limit your range of view to things that bother just yourself without considering the consequences, you're not doing anything good in the long run.

Whatcha think?

FJ74

yo Joe....WE shouldnt even really have to worry about that, its up to DFG to do the distinguishing. Not everyone that has a license currently follows that rule anyways.....

GD

Tail Chaser
01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I dont wear my lic around my neck.
But is comforting to see that everyone else is wearing there lic in plain view.:LOL:

one_leg
01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I got into the habit of wearing my license around my neck, even at paylakes and on the PIER/JETTY.

I do this for three reasons.

1st. So that I would get into the habit of doing so and not forget it. I put it on before my shirt in the morning.

2nd. So that I will always have my broken nail clipper with me in order to clip line.

3rd. In order to have my hook sharpener handy in case I don't want to take the time to retie after every fish.

Evilone
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
It does'nt matter if you are wearing it , the DFG officer will still make contact with you to make sure you are in compliance with all the statutes of the law.Having to be 1 of only 2 types of Americans that are supposed to wear or show some type of identifier in plain view is Draconian and oppressive in the same nature as if having to wear a star, cross, or crescent moon to show religous affiliation. I.E. Nazi Germany. By the way the other type of identifier is the wedding ring LOL

fish4keep
01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm not buying my license next year.....

Troutman65
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Good post Joe. I think GD hit the nail on the head. :Wink:

Hey Joe, when you coimg back out to Irvine Lake and put a hurt on some Brook, Brown , & Rainbow Trout? Long time no see Bro.:Wink:

kissthecrook
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Joe, thanks for posting this thread, It is a very important topic.

I wonder how people that drive would feel about having to wear their licenses and registration in plain view?

How many folks drive without
licenses,
insurance,
or reg?
Good idea!
We need to do that.!

pattitude
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
It a fine idea, they just need to up the fine. I have no idea of the fine but why not make it $1500 or so. So for the first few years we could get increase in revenue, for fish stocking. Then require a 1hour web class for firs time anglers so people coud get a little education on limits, catch & release and responsibility. My two cents

smitty99
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I never had heard of wearing your Fishing license visually until I moved here a few years ago.

I can see why it makes some sense--limited amount of DFG officers vs. the copious amount of fishermen; easier to canvass a larger area in less time.

I can also see the argument that it's like asking people to wear their drivers’ license around their neck. It almost becomes a privacy issue.

Personally I'm not going to go around asking to see people's fishing licenses if they aren't wearing them. One could argue it's none of my business but sure it partially is because I pay the fees and taxes to keep our sporting areas up to par. I will let the law enforcement officials continue to do their job of enforcing the rules and regulations. I will not step into someone else’s business unless I believe it means life/death or serious risk of injury is at stake. Again, the latter is just my opinion.

I am not concerned enough about whether Joe Blow is fishing without a license to go and risk getting into a verbal or physical altercation over it. In that particular scenario the cons far outweigh the pros for me.

If anyone else wants to be a 'Billy Badass' and start patrolling the lakes, thats fine by me. I have my license and would be happy to show it to you if I was not already wearing it.

That said, I also take no issue with those of you who are willing to speak your mind when you see folks leaving their trash around or letting their kids run around like tazmanian devils and throwing rocks into the lake where others are trying to fish, etc. Maybe some folks just have no clue and are ignorant...so they could use a reminder.