PDA

View Full Version : fish report for 1-21

ffunluving
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately, it's been too long since my last trip to the Vine...but today is the lucky day.
I was a little concerned about the pm showers predicted, but seeing they stocked on Tuesday was the kick in the butt I needed to make the drive from Glendale.

Arrived about 5:40 and got in line about 20 vehicles back from the gate. Went to the bait shop and was surprised to discover they were out of Chart powerbait. Mitz suggested I try the new garlic flavor, so I did. Also purchased a dozen crawlers.

Didn't have anyone to fish with today, so decided to set up between the launch ramp and boat dock as that location has been golden before. Was surprised to discover how much more the water has risen and the area I usually fish has changed. Mitz had said the flats was one of the better locations lately, so decided to check that out.

It's still dark and I really can't see much and I've not fished the flats before, so I missed the road that leads to the flats. Ended up at the point of Trout Island. There happened to be an open space to the right of the point and I've heard so much about Trout Island, decided to settle in there and wait daybreak before exploring the flats.

What a great decision and day this turned out to be. As I was getting things out of the truck there was a constant sound of line being peeled of of reels and fish splashing as they are netted. I set up one pole with garlic pb and the other with an inflated half-night crawler. Just getting water and other less important items from truck when the bobber flies off my pb rig and I race down to reel in a nice brook trout which is a great way to begin the day.

I don't have much luck for the next hour, but I'm not exagerating when I write that every five-minutes someone on or to the left of the point is hooking up. After talking with them I learn they are mostly catching the fish on the power mouse with a green head and pink tail. My power mouse usually consists of a treble hook with chart pb head and green tail, so I bait up with garlic pb head and green tail. Still not getting any more hits, so I check through my gear and find some white pb eggs. I've always believed in big bait for big fish, but these guys are using tiny hooks.

I have some mosquito hooks, so I push a white egg up over the hook onto the line and thread the green worm on the hook. Cast out and five minutes later my bobber bounces and I've got my second hook up. Reel in a nice Rainbow.

What a beautiful day it's become weather wise. One of the few days I've been at the Vine and there is absolutely no wind or even a breeze. Mostly cloudy, but warm enough not to need a jacket. Basically, ideal fishing conditions and the fish were keeping everyone busy.

My bobber was dancine quite a bit, but fish seemed to be spitting the bait out more than usual. With the treble hook, they usually hooked themselves. Learned alot today as most of these guys were casting their power mouse out and leaving the bail open and letting the fish run with the bait before setting the hook. So, I tried this, but at first I kept forgetting to close the bail before setting the hook. Finally got the hang of it and caught my third fish around 9:00. The nightcrawler (started with a dozen and went home with eleven) was getting no love, so switched to anothe power mouse set up.

To make a long story shorter, almost everyone limited out by 12:30 and most of those fish were caught on powermouse. The largest was a 6lb rainbow. General size was between 1-3 lbs. Most of the brookies were smaller. Here's a pix of my catch.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/ffunluving/002.jpg

I realize much of our success was due to fish being stocked the day before, but that didn't diminish the amount of joy everyone experienced in reeling in these hard-fighting fish. It really did seem that the smaller the fish, the greater the fight. I'm greatful to the Wed regulars who shared their technique with me and I'm definitely stocking up on tiny hooks, pb eggs and tails.

Hope all of you experience ideal conditions and hungry fish on your next trip.

one_leg
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Good for you!!!

It's nice to see that people are catching fish to the right of the tip of the Island.

That is a nice lil' Brook Trout too.

Troutman65
01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice going on your Brook trout and limit on your stringer. :Cool:

Great report and thanks for sharing what was working on catching the fish for you that day. :Cool::Wink:

Mondo21
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice size trout. Congrats on the limit. I'm hoping to go out on Sunday. Cindy:Big Grin:

troutdog
01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Great report right there, thanks for sharing all your keys to success....don't be such a stranger to the board! :LOL:

Thanks again for sharing the day and congrats on a nice looking limit....just waiting for the fish to ave 3lbs like last year. Should we stop holding our breath Jimmy?

TD

Troutman65
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
The Stealhead trout will be in for the Feb. 14, 15 , & 16 President's day Tourney. I have hooked into some of these trout before and let me tell you, they sure fight harder than any other trout I have ever fought. You can bank that.

troutdog
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Patrick if those steelies look anything like the one pictured below I will give you, Jimmy AND the fish the same treatment :ROFL:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/troutdog_photobucket/Steelie.jpg

Got tail?

TD

BassMasterson
01-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice catch, hope the trout hold over for me on sunday... if not, any Bass biting right now??