PDA

View Full Version : Quick mid day at Yorba Regional

Manny
01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Took a long lunch and headed a couple blocks down from my office to Yorba Regional. They got stocked recently and I was hoping that the lake wasn't already fished out. Set up at my spot and on my first cast in less than 5 minutes my bobber starts to move....bam, set the hook and landed this guy.
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4509.jpg

It was like this for 2 hours. I had 2 poles but never got the chance to even set up the other one. Hits every 5 minutes.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4516.jpg

After a few minutes this guy from the other side of the lake rides over and starts shooting the sh** about what i was using to catch so many fish. He ended up being my net guy and helped me land about 4 more.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4513.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4512.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4518.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4510.jpg

About half hour before I pack it up, this nice man sets up near me and just kept shaking his head every time I hooked up. I set him up with my secret (more on that in a few) and bam he hooks up. As we get to talking about fishing at the local park and our backgrounds, he tells me that he's a recently retired U.S History teacher after 30+ years at Esperanza High. Same high school that my wife graduated from in the early 90's, what are the chances..not just that but he actually remembered my wife and described her perfectly, yes he had her in his class. Not only was she his student but he vividly rembers her because as a History assignment she had her Grandpa as a guest speaker. Grandpa was a P.O.W. survivor of the Bataan Death March. Here is Mr. Smith with the fish that he landed using the secret sauce. Funny thing is I set the hook for him while he was at his car taking his blood pressure medicine :ROFL:.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l437/man-yo/DSCN4519.jpg

Fish were caught using garlic power bait as well as powermouse combo, all covered in the killer "Rooster's secret sauce". Dont ask, its not my secret to share! Ended up with about 12 fish, only 3 keepers and the rest were dinks and released. Gave the trout to my net man, he was stoked. Water was still green but not too bad and not a lot of weeds. Thanks for reading.

Manny

P.S. - this is my first photobucket attempt, hope it works.

chivo
01-22-2009, 06:20 AM
looks like the photobucket works. Nice job

calico killer kevin
01-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Dude, I'm there this weekend.
Which Lake did you catch them at?

richaaron
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Which Lake did you catch them at?

Thats lake #2. The main lake...

Nessie Hunter
01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
It was like this for 2 hours. I had 2 poles but never got the chance to even set up the other one. Hits every 5 minutes.

I count 24 fish at that rate.....

How do you safely release 20 trout caught on Power Bait & 1/2 Oz weight...

I guess the 'next guy' can just net 20 dead trout....
Who cares right. you had your fun...

I could see it if you were using Artificial and lip hooking only.. But Power Bait is a Fish Killer....
Sad, sad Read....

TARHEEL15
01-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Good job! Sounds like a fun day. My friend was there last Saturday and said he caught 3 trout in about 45 minutes. One was 3 lbs.

Levianth
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Its generally easy as pie within the first week of stocking at lake #1 or #2 depending on the stock.....way to go man!

Mr. Smith...what a catch and you retired! Glad to hear it and good luck with everything and I promise I will never come to class smelling like "grass" ever again! ...catch any waves lately!

one_leg
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
When they are biting that well you should try using some lures.

Congrats to you on getting to them before anyone else, cormorants included.

steve092
01-22-2009, 07:09 PM
When they are biting that well you should try using some lures.

Agreed.

It's more fun to have a trout slam a lure.

Rooster
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Fish were caught using garlic power bait as well as powermouse combo, all covered in the killer "Rooster's secret sauce". Dont ask, its not my secret to share!

Manny, i should have warned ya about that sauce bro. It will get ya in trouble at times. :Secret: Big Problem is it works twice as well on lures :ROFL:

Manny
01-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Which Lake did you catch them at?Ya, it was lake #2, the big lake.

I count 24 fish at that rate.....

How do you safely release 20 trout caught on Power Bait & 1/2 Oz weight...

I guess the 'next guy' can just net 20 dead trout....
Who cares right. you had your fun...

I could see it if you were using Artificial and lip hooking only.. But Power Bait is a Fish Killer....
Sad, sad Read.....

Easy there Loch Ness, every 5 minutes is more like a figure of speech. The fish that I didnt keep were safely CPR'd! As a matter of fact 1 of the 3 that I kept was a dink but it was a bleeder. If the fish that I released werent shallow hooked, I would have taken my limit and called it a day.

Manny
01-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Manny, i should have warned ya about that sauce bro. It will get ya in trouble at times. :Secret: Big Problem is it works twice as well on lures :ROFL:To say that the sauce is deadly would be a huge understatement. I never leave home without it :LOL:

troutdog
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice job out there Manny, sounds like a great way to spend the day....thanks for the report!

every 5 minutes is more like a figure of speech.

We knew what you meant, don't sweat it!

TD

Manny
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice job out there Manny, sounds like a great way to spend the day....thanks for the report!

We knew what you meant, don't sweat it!

TD

Thanks Aaron. Hey, you really put a beat down on the Boracho boys Friday night at the Vine. It made for a "quiet" day on the water Saturday morning.

troutdog
01-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks Aaron. Hey, you really put a beat down on the Boracho boys Friday night at the Vine. It made for a "quiet" day on the water Saturday morning.

:ROFL:....blame it on the Gentleman Jack! :ROFL:

TD

BassMasterson
01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Manny, i should have warned ya about that sauce bro. It will get ya in trouble at times. :Secret: Big Problem is it works twice as well on lures :ROFL:

ok, well I gotta know... if it can pull that many fish out of yorba that quick, I need that recipe! also rooster sauce? I would'a gone with c-ck sauce, but maybe thats just me.

LIZARDKING1
01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Spray some Chloraseptic on your PB.We dont need no stinkin RS sauce.LOL.....

BassMasterson
01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Spray some Chloraseptic on your PB.We dont need no stinkin RS sauce.LOL.....

Is that for real? Or are you trying to get me skunked?

LIZARDKING1
01-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Sounds corny but it actually worked.The bro-in law and I laughed about the idea over a few too many beers some years ago and I dared him to bring some on our next trip.Stupid fish or I was trying to get him skunked gave him the last laugh!Anyways,after catching about 5 or 6 in a row this curious beer bellied felllow with a green t-shirt with a Iguana across the front asks my bro-in law what we are using.As a joke he tells the dude its A@*S juice.We thought he would just start laughing,but he wanted to know where you could buy it.Showed him the chloraseptic throat spray and he justed walked away with a slightly disappointed look on his face.This was at Anglers lake which of course is no longer open.

primster7
01-25-2009, 10:51 AM
I haven't been to this lake for about 15 years.

Can you park by the softball fields and walk into the lake area?

Or is it to far of a walk and it's better to pay the parkings fees?

richaaron
01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I haven't been to this lake for about 15 years.

Can you park by the softball fields and walk into the lake area?

Or is it to far of a walk and it's better to pay the parkings fees?

Park across the street on Mark Ln. and walk in. That puts you right at Lake #2.

one_leg
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Sage advice. Get em while the gettings good!!!

Manny
01-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Yup, thats what I always do although I have considered buying the annual pass for $55.00 which gets you into the O.C. parks and beaches.

richaaron
01-26-2009, 05:18 AM
Yup, thats what I always do although I have considered buying the annual pass for $55.00 which gets you into the O.C. parks and beaches.

Yeah, thats a good investment...

pattitude
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice report.........
I need to get the Roster sause..........

Fishingmonkee
02-01-2009, 12:46 PM
parking is only 3-5 bucks, dont be cheap!!!!

Evan III
02-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Nice catch! it's always nice to have one of those days.

OK so I'm new here, but I gotta ask. Is there always some park nazi waiting to talk crap when someone holds a fish wrong, releases a fish wrong, keeps blue gills, etc. Don't seem like to friendly a crowd when you even have to watch what reports you post because someone thinks one of these city park lakes is THIER secret fishing hole. Hell, I read some guy say he was gonna stomp someones throat for keeping "gills". I fish pretty much all of these lakes since I drive all over socal for work and stop when I'm finished at the nearest lake. Anyone ever tried to tell me I can't keep fish that are legal to keep, they'd be promptly told to kiss my A**. I'm sure everyone is gonna get pissed, but if it's legal keep your mouth shut. Just cause it's close to your house, don't make it yours. That being said, Report all illegal activity and poaching. Ok I probly won't be around after the scolding I get for this post. And I apoligize for highjacking Manny's thread. Just wanted to let the admins know why people are being drivin away from this site.

Good fishing to all!

Manny
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Nice catch! it's always nice to have one of those days.

OK so I'm new here, but I gotta ask. Is there always some park nazi waiting to talk crap when someone holds a fish wrong, releases a fish wrong, keeps blue gills, etc. Don't seem like to friendly a crowd when you even have to watch what reports you post because someone thinks one of these city park lakes is THIER secret fishing hole. Hell, I read some guy say he was gonna stomp someones throat for keeping "gills". I fish pretty much all of these lakes since I drive all over socal for work and stop when I'm finished at the nearest lake. Anyone ever tried to tell me I can't keep fish that are legal to keep, they'd be promptly told to kiss my A**. I'm sure everyone is gonna get pissed, but if it's legal keep your mouth shut. Just cause it's close to your house, don't make it yours. That being said, Report all illegal activity and poaching. Ok I probly won't be around after the scolding I get for this post. And I apoligize for highjacking Manny's thread. Just wanted to let the admins know why people are being drivin away from this site.

Good fishing to all!
YUP! There's always gotta be haters out there.