PDA

View Full Version : Mono or braid ?

Cangler
06-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Thinking of trying braid this year hoping to
get less drag in the rip tide when fishing from the beach.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Thanks

SanDimasLMB
06-10-2007, 07:13 PM
braid definetely has its advantages however the main drawback for most people is the rediculously high price. I can afford braid but it would be nice if it was a tad bit cheaper. Also remember, braid has no strech what so ever, so if you reel in 5 inches of line you reel in 5 inches of line unlike regular mono which streches.

One thing I like about braid is that when the line is tight and your around kelp, the braid cuts through the kelp like a hot knife through butter :twisted:

victor101
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
is braid and spectra same thing? i was thining of spooling with spectra myself. with a topshot of mono.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
I USE CRYSTAL FIRE BRAID. IT IS NICE ,IVE TRIED OTHERS, BUT THEY SEEM TO TANGLE ,AND AT THAT PRICE, I GOT TIRED OF CUTTING IT OFF. GO WITH THE FIRELINE YOU WILL BE AMAZED .THE FELL WHEN DROP SHOTTING WILL SHOCK YOU .REMEMBER BRING YOUR A GAME WHEN USING IT .YOUR DRAG MUST BE PERFECT SO YOU DONT BREAK OFF AT YOUR FLORO LEADER.HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK MIKE THE PMB...

spiceguy
06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I like Fireline too. I use the smoke color & no leader(8lb). The 8lb has the diameter of 3lb mono. I like to use it on an ultralite rig. Casts like it was shot out of rifle and is way more sensitive than mono.

Cangler
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I used braid in Europe a couple of weeks ago
and like the way it performed.
My only concerns are the extra wear it gives on tackle.
Ive heard horror stories of it cutting through rod rings.

I'll get some fireline and give it a try ... thanks