PDA

View Full Version : Best quality line?

bigblue
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
What is the best fishing line brand; fishing in freshwater and what's the difference on a good line compared to a cheap line? Also the quality of the main line important or can i buy a cheap line and as long as the leader line is good quality? I would appreciate any info.

bsp
01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't skimp on your line! Think about it, why would you skimp on the most essential part of your tackle? The line is what determines if you'll land your fish or not.

The difference between expensive line and cheap line is consistency. With good quality line, you know that it will break at around it's breaking strength throughout the whole spool. Cheap line on the other hand will break all over the map. It may be 25lb line at one part, but only 4 at another. This makes it nearly impossible to set your drag because you never know what is going to happen with the line. Cheap line also degrades more easily, tends to be hard to cast, and has almost no abrasion resistance. Good line will last a while, so while it is best to respool after every 2 or 3 trips, you're not a bass pro and will be able to use good line for four months or so. That is, if you are not doing a form fishing that really beats up the line like flipping for bass.

The quality of the mainline is really important because it's going to be used to fight the fish along with the leader. Good leader line will be useless if you have a cheap mainline that breaks easily. Buy good mainline and leader line.

As for brands, go with the best you can afford. P-Line and Izorline are two readily available lines that are affordable while still maintaining good quality. Suffix and Triple Fish also make good, affordable line for freshwater.

calico killer kevin
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I love Izorline XXX for everything, but I also like powerpro, suffix braid, and
Maxima Ultragreen(2-6lb only).
Been meaning to try some seaguar fluoro, but I'm kinda cheap.

DccFISHerMan
01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Izor is all u need!

DCCTrouserTrout
01-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I have used Izor for awhile but recently had a reel spooled with P-line... I wasn't at all disappointed.

PureAle
01-21-2009, 08:02 PM
PLINE IZOR, well said.

PureAle

Senor Rambone
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I was all P-line until last week I tried some Izor XXX :EyePop: This line is super strong. Both are co polymer lines, so you get the best of both worlds. I was amazed at how much strength it took to break off a snag. Both lines are super smooth and no spool memory.

exfactor
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
In the lighter line tests, you need to change out that line more often, so the quality isn't as important. Not so much because the line gets old, because it gets memory on your spool. I buy triple fish 4# for about $8.00 for 3000 yards. It's strong, inexpensive, and gets bit. The other lines mentioned above are good choices as well. But if you do alot of fishing, cut to the chase, and buy a bulk spool of your favorite line so you can change it whenever you need to.

a biley
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
my 10# pline fluoro pulled out bass from brush the other day

fishindude
01-21-2009, 08:36 PM
P-Line and Maxima are my choice. Ande Mono is pretty good too.

Team Santana
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
P-LINE, I have 2lb test spooled and it pulls out big trout like a champ

jbassc
01-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I dont really fish trout but in my opinion p-line is weak i use MAXIMA and BERKLEY FLOUROCARBON GREEN for all my bass aplications.Ocassionally i use ANDE also.

snag
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Mono - Izor, Big Game, Maxima, P-line, Suffix, (K-Mart-Danielson, LOL)

I’m bored so I’m typing, LOL.

A few years ago, while at the “San Diego Day At The Docks Festival” my son and nephew got into the knot tying contest. The kids contest was a dollar for each attempt and it all went to charity (Very cool). The booth was using 30lb Izorline at that time.

Anyways,
The kids tried Palomars, Improved clinch, Trilene, SD Jam etc...The best knot my son tied was a Double San Diego Jam....which finally parted at an impressive 48lbs. The worst knot was some goof ball attempt at their own creation, LOL, and it still tested slightly above 30lbs...That was impressive! The line itself never failed, it always broke at the point where the line met the knot. Izor is some tough line but quite stiff IMO.

Personally,
Mono - I like Big Game for salt water and throwing swim baits.
Freshwater, I tend to lean toward P-line, Trilene and Maxima.

Braided - Daiwa Samurai (Good Stuff!)
Power Pro - I’ve had fail on me and won’t buy it anymore.
Floro - Seaguar (Good Stuff)

Just don’t use cheap line, tie good knots, keep drag settings at a maximum of 1/3 the line test for most applications and you’re good to go.

As you can see, some like certain lines, and others hate it.

Just try different stuff, pull hard (You have to bust a few off to know how hard you can fish). Whatever works better for you will make you a more confident angler and fish harder.

Just my two cents

tpfishnfool
01-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Maxima 2-6 lb. for trout to bass. Seaguar Invisx 4-8 lb. for finesse fishing.

bigblue
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I appreciate all the feedback i received im gonna try this lines out to see what i like. So i guess the $1.99 line for 1,000 yrds @ big 5 is not good. I knew it was to good to be true!

fishinone
01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't skimp on line or on the drag on the reel, nothing else works without these two.

I'm sold on P-Line and SilverThread.

Astrolux
01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
You can't go wrong with Berkley Trilene Monofilament

smokinflies
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I have used Izor for awhile but recently had a reel spooled with P-line... I wasn't at all disappointed.

Yup, P-Line or Maxima is the way to go.

fishntime
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Pline fluro is the way to go!!!!!!!!

lurk 182
01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
i hate PLine's flouro but i have not tried the halo stuff. for flouro, the seaguar invizx handles better than some mono's. i love Plines mono, both the cx (handles good) and cxx (which will test way over its line rating, but is quite a bit thicker than some mono) big game and yo zuri hybrid/p line flouroclear aren't bad either but the yo zuri has a lot stretch and the you zuri extra soft is like rubber band.

pwynn
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
maxima and izor have always been my choice, for the ocean. i hate big game. freshwater i always used maxima until recently when i bought some triple fish camo 6 lb for trolling for trout. I really dig this line. i now have it on everything i use in the freshwater well up to 15 lb anyway.

PureAle
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
p-line halo is ill too. pulled out a 10 pound thornback ray off the pier,with halo 8#.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
01-24-2009, 10:03 PM
MCOY is better than all ...its exspensive but its worth the money..super tough great memory small diometer say your using 10lb mcoy it feels like 6lb izor.

ZBA

a biley
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm switching one reel to Seaguar InvizX, when I land a fish, I'll see how I like it. But yeah, P-line Mono is tough to beat, and I like P-Line Fluorocarbon as well.

one_leg
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
All line is made by only three companies.

sansou
01-24-2009, 10:28 PM
All line is made by only three companies.

Go ahead. Name them.

one_leg
01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Go ahead. Name them.

Is that another order?

I am too busy to help you out right now. Maybe later.