PDA

View Full Version : South Bay Halibut

halijedi
06-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I had plans to fish for LMB last night and it since none of my fishing buddies were able to make it, I decided to sleep early and target halibut this morning solo.

I arrived to an incoming tide tide at 5a.m. and noticed bait fish rilpping the surface. I decided to see if there were any active fish with a Zip Bait and immediately hung a nice fish. What was odd is that I was fighting this fish like a LMB bass with the rod tip low to the sand and little bend on the rod. After a brief fight, I landed my first legal in months. The fish measured 25" but she was on the thin side. Post spawn fish?

It was definitely nice to be back on the sand after 6 month absence.

Once the sun broke through the marine layer, I noticed red tide lingering 50-100 yards behind the first break. With little or no wind, the red tide remained away from "fishy" water.

A few shorts later on the hardbait, I decided to concentrate my efforts on the north side of a jetty with an Underspin rigged with a Super Fluke Jr. trailer and got hammered! However, this fish didn't feel like a halibut. Before the fish spit my lure, I saw what appeared to be a nice size calico bass. Probably a couple pounds.

A few casts later on the Underspin, resulted in a halibut that appeared to be borderline legal.

10:30a.m. rolled around and after few more shorts on a Mega Bass Ito 110, I decided to call it a day.

On the way to my car, I noticed a LOT of sand crab beds. These crabs were definitely primo corbina baits. After scanning the area for sliding fish, I saw a couple bruisers that were easily 20 inches. Can't wait!

Well, time to go watch Ocean's 13 with the old lady.

Hope you guys enjoy your Sunday.

*All fish were released.

hakaveli
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
great report sinjin

ill see u out there again

bones
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
OH BOY OH BOY........I KNEW THAT SPOT WAS GOING TO COME AROUND!
Bait fish and SC beds....BOY OH BOY!!
Nice report Sinjin. Funny thing though. The north side is a steeper slope than the south side. I've never hung a hali from the north side ....just beans and croakers. Yet...on the south side it's a flatter side and the perch and halis seem to like it better.It's kinda a strange spot. I remember when we had a talk about how sometimes the butts stack up on one side and sometimes it's the other. It all probably has to do with the direction of the swells combined with the water temps and the presense of a food source. Sounds like the water temps finally are right where they need to be for it to go off.
Thanks for the report.
The water up in ventura is definately colder and the butts are just moving in to spawn.
Hunting Halis is all good but I love stalking the sliders (El spookus maximus).
Time to start dragging my family down to the southbay on the weekends.
I hope the red tides go away soon.

one_leg
06-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I been wondering when you were gonna start fishing/reporting again.
I missed your insightful saltwater stuff.
I hope that your Dream Job is working out for you.

Someday I'll see you out there and you can teach me everything you know......J/K...LoL

One_Leg

paintnfish
06-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Hey Hey, you cheatin on me again :lol:
nice going and glad to see you back on the
other side, Welcome Home

phish
06-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Great to see your reports again Sinjin.

halijedi
06-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey Hey Hey, you cheatin on me again :lol:
nice going and glad to see you back on the
other side, Welcome Home

Hey Ron,

I was going to call you but it was a last minute thing and didn't want to wake you up just in case you were asleep.

We should plan something soon. I know the corbina would have been easy to catch this morning had I targeted them with proper gear.

n1ckxlam
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
wtg man
great report

Nick

Fish4Birdies
06-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Hey Sinjin, way to keep that rod low...you don't want that butt to jump and throw the hook :lol: Nice to see you posting again...hmm underspin/fluke, very creative for butts.