PDA

View Full Version : new swimbait setup!! big bass beware! haha

matt duarte
01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
ok well since my wife said she would of killed me for buying a 275$ rod i talked to a buddys girl friend that works at BPS to see if she could get a deal on a different rod...40% off!!!!!! so i bought a swimbait rod that i liked that handles 6oz baits and its 7' 10" XH XF teamed up with a millionaire s 300 bought and the one and ONLY Last Chance Bait and Tackle
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Picture094.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Picture095.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Picture096.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/Picture097.jpg
oops fuzzy pix haha..in the first pic the handle looks shorter than it really is... its actually pretty long

ZplugJunkie
01-21-2009, 12:10 AM
The gearing on those millionaires are not going to last you very long when you chucking heavy baits. I think the Shimano Corvalus or Cardiff will give you a run for your money.

one_leg
01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Hurry up and catch something with it already!!!

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 07:21 AM
The gearing on those millionaires are not going to last you very long when you chucking heavy baits. I think the Shimano Corvalus or Cardiff will give you a run for your money.
way to burst a guys bubble dude... I think it will hold up just fine im not a shimano guy i dont like there stuff, ive have a cardiff and didnt like itat all..tj had it for like 2 weeks and it broke... Ive already seen a few people throwin big baits with this reel and they have had no problems with it. Even if something does go wrong with it dawia will take care of it so im not worried

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 07:27 AM
way to burst a guys bubble dude... I think it will hold up just fine im not a shimano guy i dont like there stuff, ive have a cardiff and didnt like itat all..tj had it for like 2 weeks and it broke... Ive already seen a few people throwin big baits with this reel and they have had no problems with it. Even if something does go wrong with it dawia will take care of it so im not worried

DarkShadow
01-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Good topic regarding the reel in question:

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31757&p=246972

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
thanks for the link DS! It seems like its all just preference. Shimano guys will say shimano ect. Or its a ego thing about having a 500$ setup thats better than everyone else. Same with baits... Like i think a 25-30 $ lure is cheap cost wise for baits ill spend upwards to 100$ if i like the lure....dont get me wrong though id love to have a luna but this will do me just fine... ZPJ boo on you

tacklejunkie
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Matt,
Does the levelwind disengage on that reel?

Get on your toon and bounce some hudds around the bottom. :Twisted:
Yesterday woulda been hot! Maybe today too. I was supposed to go but flaked out on myself.

Sorry 'bout that BBZ the other day. Gotta get you some P-line for that new combo!

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
no it doesnt disengauge...thats the only thing i dont like about the reel but i noticed it keeps up with the reel speed real well...i spooled a lil bit of line on it last night and yanked off line as if i were casting and it kept up farily well so it should be good

BingJr
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
With the many many backlashes that Matt gets when he casts, the gears will all be fried in a few days anyway. Wont matter what brand of reel he purchases. No need to see Matt hunched over a 300.00 reel picking loops, it will look more appropriate for a Diawa owner to be getting those kinds of backlashes.

tacklejunkie
01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
With the many many backlashes that Matt gets when he casts, the gears will all be fried in a few days anyway. Wont matter what brand of reel he purchases. No need to see Matt hunched over a 300.00 reel picking loops, it will look more appropriate for a Diawa owner to be getting those kinds of backlashes.
I haven't seen him backlash his old abu yet. That's how I broke my abu.. :LOL:

Just set it a bit tight and keep your thumb on it until you are used to it, and don't let your hand hit the handle to engage it during mid cast!

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 01:29 PM

what you talkin about willis.. I hardley ever back lash my reels.. The only time it really happens is when im trying to hard(mind you my other rod i was using was a 7' shakespeare i got for when i go ocean fishing...pos)

i am the baitcaster master! Haha ill get ya back for that bling bling watch your post hahaha

fishntime
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Honestly, If it works for you and you dont lose any fish with the setup. Then it was a good purchase. I personally am not a shimano fan either, but I too recently bought a swimbait setup. And, I went with a shimano reel and I dont regret it one bit. Now get out and go get yourself that pig of a lifetime!

BingJr
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Most of my reels are BPS stuff so Im no one to be talking. I think your new setup will thow thos 4" wild eye minnows just fine.

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
4" hahaha try 8 9 and 10" lol most are wood baits so they dont weigh as much as the bbz does..bbz is the heavest bait i toss so far...now if i had the money or the stupidity id buy the rago tool..a 300$ 13" 8oz bait than id need a bigger better setup haha

jim532
01-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I more of a Zebco aficianado myself.

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
whats that?

dockboy
01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Dude the Millionaires work fine. The drags arent as smooth as a Cardiff, IMO, or obviously the Luna, but it does the job admirably for the price. The biggest bait I would throw on it would be a Hudd, but Ive known guys who have used them for years and no problems. My buddy still has his from 5 years ago with no problems, pretty much big baits only.

steve092
01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
There you go bro!

Now go out and land some beasts!

matt duarte
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
i know dude! it sux i have to wait till sunday till i can really test it out!

shy_boxer
01-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Nice SB setup Matt. Just change out the drag later. Go catch a toad! Good luck!

ZplugJunkie
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Not trying to burst your bubble, just giving you an honest opinion. I am not trying to start a daiwa or shimano war, I could have said Luna,and calcutta te's.

I know your a newb, being a beginner could cost a lot. Just trying to point you in the right direction, just coming from someone who has blown out 5 (daiwas and shimanos) reels from fishing them too hard.

So far, the only reels that have held up is my calcutta te's!
:Wink:

matt duarte
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I know your a newb, being a beginner could cost a lot. Just trying to point you in the right direction, just coming from someone who has blown out 5 (daiwas and shimanos) reels from fishing them too hard.

So far, the only reels that have held up is my calcutta te's!
:Wink:

your new here dude...i am by no means a newb.. you said "being a beginner could cost a lot"? really i thought bigginers start off with kmart specials and stuff like that haha..trust dude i know the cost of things i have well over 500$ invested in swimbaits,rods and reels ect. ive been fishing swimbaits for quite some time now.. just recently i put away all robos and crank baits to consistantly toss big baits.. i know the lunas are better, thats the reel i want... i just didnt have the 240 in my pocket when i was at last chance.. i had 50 so i bought this reel..i have to wait till feburary to get the luna so i bought this to hold me off till than..its better than using my old salt water rod and pos abu garcia 7000 reel or what ever it is.. you shouldnt comment on things you dont know the answer to...just my 2 cents.. im not trying to be a weiner dude so dont take that the wrong way..

ZplugJunkie
01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
your new here dude...i am by no means a newb.. you said "being a beginner could cost a lot"? really i thought bigginers start off with kmart specials and stuff like that haha..trust dude i know the cost of things i have well over 500$ invested in swimbaits,rods and reels ect. ive been fishing swimbaits for quite some time now.. just recently i put away all robos and crank baits to consistantly toss big baits.. i know the lunas are better, thats the reel i want... i just didnt have the 240 in my pocket when i was at last chance.. i had 50 so i bought this reel..i have to wait till feburary to get the luna so i bought this to hold me off till than..its better than using my old salt water rod and pos abu garcia 7000 reel or what ever it is.. you shouldnt comment on things you dont know the answer to...just my 2 cents.. im not trying to be a weiner dude so dont take that the wrong way..

I meant a newb in swimbait fishing. Have you got one on a real swimbait? Not an over sized crankbait? Whats up with the pm's you sent me then? That you just started and if i need someone to go with to hit you up? Trust me i never would have said anything if i didnt want to help. Like i said earlier just giving my two cent. As me being new here, i've been here since this board started in the early 2000's days an alias that was "Striperking". Anyways dude good luck, I am to tired from my hike fishing the woods last night going to take my nap.

Manny
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey Matt, is this the type of set up you can use to throw that lure you got from the Vine last Saturday? I won the same one, the one with a spinning prop on the end. I have no clue as to what kind of set up to buy for that thing.

matt duarte
01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=ZplugJunkie;299237]I meant a newb in swimbait fishing. Have you got one on a real swimbait? Not an over sized crankbait? Whats up with the pm's you sent me then? That you just started and if i need someone to go with to hit you up? Trust me i never would have said anything if i didnt want to help. Like i said earlier just giving my two cent. As me being new here, i've been here since this board started in the early 2000's days an alias that was "Striperking". Anyways dude good luck, I am to tired from my hike fishing the woods last night going to take my nap.[/QUOTE

see this is why the internet sux haha i ment just starting to toss them consistantly like nothing but swimbaits..sorry for the confusion on that one... A lot of my post that are during the day are from my cell so i "f" up on typing and leave thing out on accident.. I know you ment well in what you were saying... I was just trying to say i know this reel isnt te best but it will do till i buy the luna in feb...

matt duarte
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
lol thats all my cell would let me write before the page expried...any way dude ya i have hooked up but lost due to head shake and crappy ocean pole.. Just recently i lost a punker fish and figured out it was my pole being way to stiff with no play so thats why i bought a new setup so i wont loose my hookups any more... Again dude sorry for the confusion... How u do at the wood?

basscatcher
01-23-2009, 02:44 PM

hey nothing is wrong with those specials or setups. Before i started using baitcasters thats all i used were the walmart special gear and i would still catch more fish and bigger than the guys next to me with a calcutta with a g- loomis .

spooky007
01-23-2009, 07:13 PM
I once heard a man say, it's not the gun, but the gunner!!!! $500 plus set-ups, wal-mart specials they both get the job done. Obviously one is more up to the task then the other. Nice by the way!!

socalrippin
01-23-2009, 09:00 PM
dont fix it if its not broken matt!!!!! haha j/k

DarkShadow
01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I once heard a man say, it's not the gun, but the gunner!!!!

I've also heard another man say,

"You don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

:Cool: