PDA

View Full Version : OC park lake on 01/19/09

Vman
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I decided to go fishing again, taking advantage of the warm weather that we are having. This time I decided to hit up a new lake about the size of 2 football field but shallow with no structure. Most of the lake is probadly about 5 to 6 foot deep and shaped like a dinner plate.

I got 2 solid hits on my senko and missed them both. These were aggressive strikes that straighten out my line. I had on a bad hook and didn't even know. The point has broken off about 1/16 of an inch and it was dull like a toothpick. Man !!! I worked hard for 3 hours and missed both hits because I was too lazy to check my hook. The hits came at about 2 to 3 PM way out far, a good 40 to 50 yards from shore.

I decided to try another park, that is closeby, which I caught some fish at last week. Similar to this one but about half the size. This time I decided to use a Team Daiwa lipless crankbait in shad pattern. I didn't have my crankbait rig so I had to use my coffegrinder and it wasn't that bad. The medlight rod has the right action for this bait.

After about 3 cast, I hooked up about 60 yards from shore and it felt good. After a pretty decent fight, it turned out to be a 2lb catfish. I was a little disappointed but not totally supprised. I started burning this bait everywhere in this small pond and landed a 1 pound bass 20 minutes later. Then something BIG hit. I felt the strong strike before the sizzling drag-pulling run of 5 seconds then slack line. Man, I was pissed. That was a nice bass but I'll never know now.

I then hooked up again in 10 minutes, this one stayed down low and shooked his head. Again, the line went slack. I lost another one but it didn't feel like a nice fish. I kept on fishing the same way, got hit again ( this time it took 30 minutes or so ), and landed a fat one about 3 pounds. This guy actually jumped, my first bass of 09 that jumped. This one, I took a picture of and attached below. Notice that I brought along a plastic bag to put him on so the slime coat is not damaged.

HBJapo
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Nice frish! Good job!

Japo :Envious:

one_leg
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice looking bass!!! I am kinda wondering how you could have missed having a broken hook though?

Vman
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice looking bass!!! I am kinda wondering how you could have missed having a broken hook though?

I clipped the whole bait off ( with the hook buried in the senko ) last time and put the whole thing in my box. My senko supplies was running low so was being cheap. I simply tied the whole thing back on without checking the point on the hook.

DccFISHerMan
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Lol looks like the talking billy the big mouth bass
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/Ghettoimposs/1-10.jpg

castle
01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats Comedy!

DCCTrouserTrout
01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I get a kick of how you describe the lakes... ha ha Nice bass

PureAle
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
thats a nice catch!!!!!!good job on the plastic bag if it helps!

PureAle

richaaron
01-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Just hope you didn't put it in the plastic bag after the photo... You know, it's not that hard to hold the fish out in front of you to take a pic. Why even take a chance of removing "slime coat" for a pic...

BassFreak
01-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Just hope you didn't put it in the plastic bag after the photo... You know, it's not that hard to hold the fish out in front of you to take a pic. Why even take a chance of removing "slime coat" for a pic...

Maybe the plastic bag was that so his nice rig wouldnt get scratched on the ground. :ROFL:

steve092
01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
It is pretty strange when you hook up on a cat with a crank.

Nice bass.

Vman
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM

Nice bass.

I 've fished all my life and only until a few years ago that I experienced catching catfish on bass plugs. Last year, after a big catfish plant, quite a few people were catching them on rattletraps. I caught maybe 10 or so on Zoom paddle tail worms. The biggest supprise came when a fat 6 or 7 pound catfish nailed my spinnerbait.

Anyway, Thanks to all with kind words and comments.

Dr. MindBendo
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
That's a nice fish. Congrats.

Troutman65
01-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Nice Bass. You ever hold the Bass by its lip? Alot of guys do that and are able to snap off a pic. before releasing the Bass back into the water. Thanks for the report. Keep up the good work.

one_leg
01-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Nice bass.

FishingDude420's dad caught two using a Chatterbait at Castaic when we were fishing for LMB there last year.

Right along the shore and within a second or two of casting right up against the shore.

It is not that rare.

That is a real nice looking bass though.

chivo
01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
fatty dude!!!