PDA

View Full Version : Carry-ons for plane?

jplee3
01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering, for those of you who travel frequently [with gear as well], if any of you know what the restrictions are for fishing gear that is not allowed on planes (per TSA).

I know, for the most part, that rods and reels are fine as long as they are apart. But what about hooks? I'm not talking about huge marlin hooks but smaller game hooks - like nothing bigger than a 4/0 hook. I'd probably bring lures with treble hooks though.

Obviously, we know knives wouldn't be allowed :P

But anyway, can someone fill me in on the hooks and lures?

I'm tentatively going to Oahu and Maui over the summer...

DarkShadow
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
JP,

I've always checked any of my 'sharp' fishing objects.

One thing that was also removed at the TSA checkpoint and I was made to put with my check in bags was a spool of braided line.

It's best to call the airline (can you even call the TSA?) to find out what you can and can't bring. Hate for you to be inconvenienced by misguided information.

Ricky-Ray
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
You'd have to check with your airline. Each has their own guideline in addition to following TSA's requirements.

Here's what it say's on TSA's website about fishing equipment. It's at the bottom of the page. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

bsp
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I have had to deal with this when I've gone to Hawaii to visit my uncle, and the answer is that hooks of any size are not allowed in carry on luggage. Just remove them from the lures you want to bring, and buy a pack of hooks and some pliers when you are there. If I were you, I would just buy a few lures over there. The local made baits are sick, and you won't find anything like them on the mainland. As DS said, fishing line is also not allowed in carry on, but reels can (and should) go into your carry on.

jplee3
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I have had to deal with this when I've gone to Hawaii to visit my uncle, and the answer is that hooks of any size are not allowed in carry on luggage. Just remove them from the lures you want to bring, and buy a pack of hooks and some pliers when you are there. If I were you, I would just buy a few lures over there. The local made baits are sick, and you won't find anything like them on the mainland. As DS said, fishing line is also not allowed in carry on, but reels can (and should) go into your carry on.

Right on... thanks for the tips. Hmmm, the thing I want to avoid doing is checking luggage in because there's generally a first-bag charge these days. What if there's fishing line on the reel already? Would I have to strip it?

I feel like this may be more of a pain than it's worth.... we'll see.

DarkShadow
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
What if there's fishing line on the reel already? Would I have to strip it?

I feel like this may be more of a pain than it's worth.... we'll see.

Yeah, you will have to strip it off. I was given the option to remove the line from the reel, or put the reel inside the checked luggage.

bsp
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
My experience is that they don't care about line on the reels (on the TSA site it says to have reels in your carry on and it hasn't been a problem for me with 2500 size spinning reels and 200 size baitcasters), but one of the guys at the Avet booth at the Fred Hall show said that the security officials made him strip all the line off of his 50 wides when he went to Mexico. Go figure.

This is off topic, but if you want to talk about fishing on Oahu, check out www.hawaiibassfishing.com. The guys there are really nice, and will hook you up with some advice.

Ricky-Ray
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Here's a thought....If your not bring alot of gear why not have it shipped there and then ship it back? You can get a Flat Rate priority box from the post office for free and you can pack as much gear as you can in the box up to 20 pounds and it will only cost about 10 bucks. If your staying at the hotel just have it shipped to the hotel and put attn: your name Hotel Guest and arrival date and they will hold it for you. When you leave just use the same box and pay the 10 something bucks and have it shipped back to you. In a few day's after you get back from your trip you've got your tackle and no worries about anything.

I use the priority flat rate mailing boxes quite a bit for ebay and it works out really well.

Liteliner
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I was in oahu last summer and just jammed everything in my suitcase. I had everything from big hammers to lucky craft lures and my reel was loaded with spectra. Not one question asked. I think you will be fine aslong as its not a carry on luggage. Dont forget to take some gulp for the aquarium fish and LC 110's. I hooked three trevaly off the jetties on the LC's. I farmed all three though. Super strong fish. If your a ninja fisher than hit up the canal at night. I saw a few monster cuda and trevally hangin around structure under the street bridges....

Nessie Hunter
01-22-2009, 07:41 AM
TSA seems to have different policies at each Airport...
The Airlines have general policies on their sites.

The safest thing to do is call the TSA, AT the airport your going to, or the Airline at THAT Airport. And be Specific in your questions...

jplee3
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

So if I end up having to strip the line off my reels (planning to bring a smallish spinning reel and Curado 300) am I able to bring new spools of line with me on the plane (aka still in the box, etc)? Or will they have issues with that too?

Specifically, I'll be flying out of LAX, so I'm sorta wondering how stringent they are specifically about line on fishing reels...

bsp
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey guys,

So if I end up having to strip the line off my reels (planning to bring a smallish spinning reel and Curado 300) am I able to bring new spools of line with me on the plane (aka still in the box, etc)? Or will they have issues with that too?

Specifically, I'll be flying out of LAX, so I'm sorta wondering how stringent they are specifically about line on fishing reels...

The problem the airline's have with fishing line in this paranoid age is that it theoretically can be used to choke somebody with. I got this answer from a security guy at LAX when he saw my fishing reels and checked if there was line on them. Put the spools in your checked luggage or buy some when you are over there if you want to be totally safe.

LAX seems to be random. Last year they didn't check for line on reels in my carry on, but this year they did (luckily I removed it at home). If you don't mind stripping line off your reels at the airport then you can risk it. The worst that happens is that you spend like 15min holding up the security line.

jplee3
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
The problem the airline's have with fishing line in this paranoid age is that it theoretically can be used to choke somebody with. I got this answer from a security guy at LAX when he saw my fishing reels and checked if there was line on them. Put the spools in your checked luggage or buy some when you are over there if you want to be totally safe.

LAX seems to be random. Last year they didn't check for line on reels in my carry on, but this year they did (luckily I removed it at home). If you don't mind stripping line off your reels at the airport then you can risk it. The worst that happens is that you spend like 15min holding up the security line.

Makes sense...
LOL if that's the case, I might as well just strip the line off beforehand at home, wrap it up around a plastic line holder or something, and just have it in my pocket when I go through security.

jplee3
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I guess I could also take up Ricky Ray's advice and just mail a bunch of hooks and the line in a medium padded envelope or small box via USPS ($5~) to the hotel I'll be at. It'll probably be cheaper than buying all the tackle there. Shoot, why didn't I consider this earlier?

midgettosser1
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I recently flew on southwest and there was no problem carrying on my reels loaded with braided line.
Lures and hooks I left in my check-in.

primo55
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
best bet is too check in all gear,just flew to mexico with Alaska air..some airlines make more of a fuss than others!!

jplee3
07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
So I decided to mail (USPS Priority) a couple small tackle boxes with hooks and lures (as well as pliers/forceps) to the hotel I'll be at the first night. I'm *hoping* everything will get to the hotel before I arrive. Otherwise, I'll be out of luck. I hooked up with a native to show me the spots on Sat morning. Hopefully I'll be awake. And I'll feel bad if I have to end up borrowing anything from him. Not sure if the tackle stores will be open that early...
I was contemplating throwing my reel spools (with line on them) into the box to mail out but was thinking maybe not in case the package arrives even later. Then I really wouldn't be able to fish! I'm going to have to think about this. Perhaps I can remove the spools and place them in my carry-on separately from the reels in places where they likely wouldn't check. If worst comes to worst and they find the spools, I'll just remove the line there. I just don't want to lose the line I put on my Curado, so maybe I'll just remove the line from that spool. Come to think of it, maybe I should just redo all the line on all the spools :P

drifter57
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
When I went to Oahu, I just sent all my hooks via US postal in an insulated envelope, I think it came out to be $3 to send the hooks from Boston to Oahu. Not bad... To be honest, I accidently took some hooks on my carry-on from LA to Boston and made it thru with no problems... But it's hit or miss, some security guys are better than others... I always forget to take off my leatherman knife off my keychain when travelling, and 1/2 the time I'm able to pass thru, the other 1/2 the time I have to send it back to myself via mail... and getting charged $10 for it...

Once you're done, just send them back to yourself via us postal. There's a post office right in Waikiki that you can send it from. FYI, I brought one LC 110 and one Sammy 110, in my gear - I ended up hooking up on a barracuda with the LCFM 110 on 8 lb line, lotsa fun... I'm gonna try it out in greece as well later this year...

d

jplee3
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
When I went to Oahu, I just sent all my hooks via US postal in an insulated envelope, I think it came out to be $3 to send the hooks from Boston to Oahu. Not bad... To be honest, I accidently took some hooks on my carry-on from LA to Boston and made it thru with no problems... But it's hit or miss, some security guys are better than others... I always forget to take off my leatherman knife off my keychain when travelling, and 1/2 the time I'm able to pass thru, the other 1/2 the time I have to send it back to myself via mail... and getting charged $10 for it...

Once you're done, just send them back to yourself via us postal. There's a post office right in Waikiki that you can send it from. FYI, I brought one LC 110 and one Sammy 110, in my gear - I ended up hooking up on a barracuda with the LCFM 110 on 8 lb line, lotsa fun... I'm gonna try it out in greece as well later this year...

d

Cool man! How long did it take to arrive in Oahu? I sent my stuff out Tuesday USPS Priority. I really hope it gets there on Friday... ended up stripping the line off my reels and wrapping it around giant popsicle sticks. I just buried the sticks in with my clothes. I think it's inconspicuous enough to where they won't rifle through my stuff looking for them. Hopefully!
I sent a LC 110 in along with some fake LCs from Ebay, so hopefully I can pick up some nice fish :) Also included a number of different sized hooks and a couple more hardbaits - RapXs/Rapalas/Poppers

spartafish
07-23-2009, 12:53 AM
i flew out of san fran to JFK and from JFK to san fran with a small tackle box in my carry on. hooks and call. the TSA website says theyre okay. it says to carry on flies because theyre fragile. a fly is a hook with thread on it. it says pliers are okay, as long as theyre not pointy and are shorter than a certain length.

i had zero issues with my fishing stuff. the guy just asked what in my rod case before he scanned it. i said a fishing rod, he said ok. that was all the interaction i had at security.

i dont understand what everyone keeps saying about airlines being different. airlines do not insect your luggage. if you get pas security, how would the airline people at the gate know whats in your backpack?

jplee3
07-23-2009, 08:21 AM
i flew out of san fran to JFK and from JFK to san fran with a small tackle box in my carry on. hooks and call. the TSA website says theyre okay. it says to carry on flies because theyre fragile. a fly is a hook with thread on it. it says pliers are okay, as long as theyre not pointy and are shorter than a certain length.

i had zero issues with my fishing stuff. the guy just asked what in my rod case before he scanned it. i said a fishing rod, he said ok. that was all the interaction i had at security.

i dont understand what everyone keeps saying about airlines being different. airlines do not insect your luggage. if you get pas security, how would the airline people at the gate know whats in your backpack?

Thanks for the input! From the sounds of it, it seems like if you have a larger reel like anything bigger than a Daiwa Saltist 30, you'll more than likely need to strip the line off. And if you have hooks that are larger than 4/0 or 5/0, you'll probably want to check those in... I don't see why security would need to worry about anything smaller.

And yea, I was kinda wondering why ppl were talking about airlines when it's really just the security checkpoints you have to worry about. Maybe they meant different airports, and not airlines?

Anyway, we'll see how they are at LAX. Hopefully lax! lol :D

drifter57
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I got it in 3-4 days at my Hotel, it was really quick actually.

As far as fishing line on the spool... I've usually had no problems.

When I go to Cabo, so long as the line is on the reel, they had no problems w/us carrying on board, b/c they know the reels are expensive and have had complaints of them being stolen in baggage. They only have problems with an extra spool of line that you bring (not on a reel), you have to check that in.

I've taken a spinning reel spooled to Hawaii and to Hong Kong on my carry-on luggage with no problems. I plan to take the same one to Greece as well... Hope this helps.

d

Ultralight
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I know you are not talking about international travel but recently traveled in Asia. I started off carrying four short rods on the plane. Then in Hong Kong airport where I was in transit, one of the agents absolutely insisted on confiscating my rod and said the only way I can retrieve them is to fly back in a week to pick the up, or have a friend living in Hong Kong pick them up. Not having friends in HK, that was not an option.

To cut a long story short,I was not about to give up those 4 rods which were not exactly cheap rods. So I ended up missing my flight in order to have the airline pack them for me to ship via the cargo hold. Thankfully they did make it fine and I caught the next flight out.

My point: It is not just the departure airport that you have to check with. You may need to check with any transit airport TSA also.

Incidentally, when I got my airline to agree to pack it for me and I went to retrieve the rods from the agent, he looked decidedly unhappy about returning the rods to me. All in all, a very unpleasant experience at the Hong Kong airport.

UL

drifter57
07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
you know what you're right, the last time i went thru HK, they just recently disallowed rodtubes as carry-ons, and I had the same problem. I'm hoping to just take a rod within my luggage and see how it's going to work out.