PDA

View Full Version : Pismo Beach Fishing?

tpfishnfool
06-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Going to spend some qt with the wife and kids. Wondering if the surf bite has been good or not? Pier, north or south of pier? Any info would be great.. :)

Cangler
06-10-2007, 12:01 PM
If you can dodge the crowds its the usual BSP with a chance of
corbina or SNGF i think....

Nice place to camp though ...

working4golf
07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
I saw this a few weeks ago, and thought I'd come back after experiencing Pismo. This past weekend and early week, I was in Pismo staying in one of the RV parks. Good times...my first time up there. Dunes are great too.

Anyway, I stopped to talk to the guy in the bait shop early in the day to find out what people were successfully fishing with. He gave me a few options....so I took them all. Muscles, squid and sardines. I made my way through the drones of people about 10pm to find a cozy little well lit spot about halfway down the pier probably about 20 yards beyond the breakers. There were four in our group, and we all tried all baits for about an hour and a half. Maybe a nibble....that was it.

Out comes the experimenting. I kept the same 36" leader with 2 #4 hooks and a 1oz weight. I hooked up half of a Berkley Salt Water Sandworm....beige in color. (Had red too, but didn't need to try them) The night was saved!!!! As soon as those things would hit the water, I was reeling in some Barred Surf Perch. I would literally tell my buddy to start counting, and 30-45 seconds after cast, I'd be pulling in another one!!!! They would bite stationary, but the fish seemed to be more reactive with a slow retrieve and light occasional jerking action. After about 6 fish in no time, we trashed the natural bait and all started using these little fake wonders of night, and collectively probably pulled in 3-4 dozen Barred Perch. A lot of them were dinks, but cool nonetheless to pull in two fish per cast many times.

Good stuff.....everyone around us was getting skunked with the natural bait. People were actually sounding pissed off that we were having such a good time pulling in fish after fish when they didn't catch a thing!!!

The only other catch I saw that night until 2am when we left was one 2' shark that a kid pulled in.

Moral of the story......next time you pass that $6.00 bag of artificials that allegedly fish better than natural bait at the Sport Mart......I'd grab one and throw it in your box....you never know when it may save the night.

Blochz
07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I have done some of my most successful surf fishing at Pismo. We go riding our motorcycles there. Anyways we are there every Thanksgiving and in the morning while the wife makes breakfast I go fish. I use 8lb test (carolina rig) with a 2' leader 1/2 oz egg sinker and an 1 1/2" power grub. Pumpkin seed and motor oil are the hot tickets. Not only have I caught about 20 in one outing they are all from 1 to 2 lber's. All barred perch. I have gotten an occasional flatty also.

Fish on!!!