PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 1/19

bblbasser
01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Just a quick report. Quite a bit of the lake is fishable now with ice only in areas around the dam, back of boulder bay (and the backs of other bays like mallard) and the extreme east end (stanfield) but you'll have to deal with snow on some banks (except alot of the north shore shore). The bite is a bit tough but QUALITY fish can be had. Short leader (8'' to a foot) with powerbait or sierra gold. The key is MOVE the bait on the bottom. ZERO bites with the bait sitting still. Move it a couple inches at a time with short pause in between moves and if you get bit it's a cat and mouse game to make em eat it, but when you get em to eat it, it's quality holdovers in the 16 to 18 inch range and beautifully colored fish. Fish full of eggs and semen. Weather should be ok up here except for a little rain wed. night/thurs. morn. as it's a warm storm. Nicest winter fish I've seen in a few years. Scott

kozaki
01-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Big Bear can be a tricky place, and your technique demonstrates that (and it does work- I've used that same technique there with the shorter leader). Also, this time of year the fish seem to 'gum' the bait but never really 'strike'.
Anyhow, thanks for the report!

StriperEye
01-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the report.Good info for the future.

smitty99
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Scott, thanks again for continuing to serve up some reports on BBL. I would think there are plenty of holdovers since the bite never really peaked this last season.

How is the ski traffic? Every other person I know seems lately has been heading up to Big Bear or Mammoth the last couple of weeks.

FISH_HUNTER
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Good to know that it's almost ice free. Yeah I've done the "slow craw" thing w/ half a NC topped off with a Salmon egg....deadly :Wink:

Lechuga
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
thanks for the info, it's appreciated

DccFISHerMan
01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Sweet bit of info, might have to try it out this weekend!

one_leg
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Be careful out there everybody!!!

Thanks for the report/info.

DCCTrouserTrout
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Sweet bit of info, might have to try it out this weekend!

I thought you were going to prado... lol

But yeah, good info... Fun times fishing up there

Senor Rambone
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Way to go over there. Those are some healthy trout. Is there other species that bigbear lake holds?

Tfisherman
01-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the report, those holdover Big Bear trout are nice, and great eating.

bblbasser
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
and as of now the dam is ice free and the ski traffic? not so bad especially over the MLK weekend. Bass should start biting in the next month or so just remember to release them, especially since they have been diagnosed w/ high levels of mercury. Scott

Tr1p0d
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
and as of now the dam is ice free and the ski traffic? not so bad especially over the MLK weekend. Bass should start biting in the next month or so just remember to release them, especially since they have been diagnosed w/ high levels of mercury. Scott

Wow didn't know that. Thanks for the info.. I'll make sure I don't eat any of them holdovers..

Rooster
01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Scott, Thx for the update. Your report told the picture. Props

Troutman65
01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, thanks for the detailed report. You really don't need pics. the way you wrote it.:Big Grin::Wink: