PDA

View Full Version : Corona (and Guasti) Friday, 1/15, pics

AnglerBob
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I began the day originally intending to fish Cucamonga-Guasti park, a place I used to fish in the 70s with my Dad. I haven’t been back since as it’s a long drive and there are closer, better options, but I wanted to see what it was like out there now. Turns out mostly unchanged, although there’s a small subdivision and a Starbucks across the street—but surprisingly, lots of empty fields remain. When I got there though, I was greeted with the sorry news that the stocking truck did not show up Thursday as expected. “It might come today, though,” the gate gal offered. Reluctantly, I forked over my $12.00 and set up shop on the bank, with a surprising number of fellow anglers for a weekday. When an hour had elapsed and nobody had caught a fish, I could pretty well guess the lake—little more than a pond, really—had been fished out some time ago.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=1264

At this point, I decided to cut my losses, head East to the 15 and down to Corona lake, figuring it would be about 35 minutes in good traffic. It turned out to be a good decision, I think. I arrived at the gate around 9:40, and the lady said fishing had been good, with one hot angler in particular scoring on Gulp eggs jigged in some manner. After shelling out for the Gulp eggs and nightcrawlers, I set up on the bank near the white buoy per her suggestion. Although it looked like a good spot, nice and deep, there was no action for me or anyone else in the vicinity. I blamed the slowness on the heat, which I figured had probably warmed up the water pretty well by now, and wished I’d arrived earlier.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=1268

I noticed, though, it looked pretty crowded closer to the dam and wondered if they were doing better there. When a few folks cleared out of that area around 11:30, I headed over there between two parties that were both doing well. Almost immediately, I got a small trout on a 1/2 nightcrawler. A second fish, a bit larger (a bit over a pound, perhaps) followed shortly thereafter on the same rig. I was surprised that this spot worked so well, because it was shallower and sunnier than the spot I fished earlier. However, the fishermen to my left were wading out several feet and found the answer: small baitfish, shad perhaps, were sunning themselves in the shallows and the hungry trout were lurking nearby. I made a shorter cast and picked up a third fish, about a pound.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=1265
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=1266

About an hour later, I hooked into something I will never know. It happened while I was retrieving, which makes me think I might have snagged it. I thought it was a snag at first, but then it moved, and took out line. The guy on my left thought I was hooked up with him, and I was, but that clearly wasn’t the whole story: we weren’t at opposite angles to each other, and my line was peeling off in the opposite direction. Whatever it was, it wasn’t a Tailwalker; it was low and slow, massive and unmoveable. After several minutes, it abruptly came unhooked, and that was that. The consensus on the bank was that it was probably a large catfish. Didn’t want a catfish anyway, but that was pretty exciting!

After that, the action slowed, but the guys on my right (towards the launch ramp) started getting hit pretty good. They limited out and left. I asked if I could take their spot and they said another party had come to claim it, who would be camping overnight. However, since I was leaving soon, we fished the spot together for a bit—I got one more bite on rainbow PB and that was it. Left at 3:15 with the three fish. I don’t usually keep trout, but Corona doesn’t permit catch and release, so I cleaned these fish for the Mini Chief smoker. None of these fish was a revered Nebraska Tailwalker, unfortunately; just garden-variety silver Frankenfish.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=1267

Not a bad day considering the change in plan. Corona has a nice rural feel to it, although right off a giant superhighway. One minor drawback with the place: staff is not as friendly or helpful as Irvine. The older lady was pleasant enough, but the two men were surly and somewhat unfriendly. Not really a big deal, but when you charge $22.00 for a day’s fishing, it might be nice to be treated like a customer.

For anyone planing to hit this lake, I’d recommend getting there early for a choice shore spot, or bringing/renting a boat. I had all my bites on N/C and rainbow PB with no added attractants at all. Also, very short leaders.

Gulp eggs didn’t do a dang thing.

Seng90806
01-20-2009, 02:43 AM
smoked trouts :LOL: that look yummy to the tummy...WTG out there!!!

CASTAWAY
01-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Nice report and pix. Thanks for sharing.

FISH_HUNTER
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Great report! Thanks for sharing! Most of the time what "they" tell you @ the gate you should do the exact opposite :LOL:

gavin310
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Man those smoked fish look goooood!!! I noticed the staff at Corona are unfriendly too. But my friend says they're really nice. I was waiting at the cash register for a good 2 minutes (which is a long time to just be standing there waiting on someone) while the guy was shootin' the sh*t with another guy, then not even a "sorry about that" or even cracking a smile. I don't know, I wasn't impressed. Irvine staff is great.

BIGRED KILLA
01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the pics and report.Thats the only way i eat trout is smoked i have that same mini smoker you have i used it a lot till i got a wetsmoker from brinks the meat is not as dry and is faster then the mini.

Bigred

troutdog
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Sounds like the move from one spot to another paid off, wtg on the trout and the thrill of the "unknown fish". Thanks for the report and pics.

TD

PureAle
01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Awesome pics and report!!!

PureAle

AnglerBob
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah those smoked fish were pretty yummy. Hatchery fish seem to have off flavors to me, especially around the neck area, for some reason and the smoking process downplays that. Killa, I used to have a watersmoker too. You're right it turns out different, not as dry, the Mini Chief makes a more jerky-like product. I like both ways but I know a lot of people prefer one or the other.

Would love to get one of those Tailwalkers next time though, maybe the upcoming cooler weather will get those guys bitin'.

BULLDOGBOOGERS
01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
i went out last friday also....... i had not been fishing in quite some time.... and i have never fished for trout in my life...... so i hooked up the boat & trailer and headed to corona lake.... 9.6 mikes from my house in corona hills...i was about the 20 person in line....... after getting my boat in the water...... i went streight for the dam......... i fished in the deep water for over 4 hours..... with-out even a bite..... i was using power bait..... red,green,yellow,orange.... i had all of the colors......with no luck at all ! at about 10:30...... i pulled up the ankors..... and drove to the south end of the lake....... with-in about 15 min's..... stan... a friend of mine came up to my boat in a float tube.....we talked for about 30 min's..... and he gave me 6 small hooks & different worms..... orange,green & white ... i then fished for three more hours and i caught 5 trout..... of a weight of alittle over 10 pounds.... i was off the lake by 1:30..... so it was a good day !! no skunk for me on my first outing for trout !

scott "aka" bulldogboogers

one_leg
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Congrats to you on the change of plans. Looks like you made the right move. I think that you caught a carp just barely by the lip and it pulled the hook eventually.

:Confused: I have always found the staff at Corona/SARL to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. :Big Grin: Just like the people at the Vine, they are always on the ball and eager to assist me in whatever way they can. Maybe he was just having a bad hair day? :LOL:

BIGRED, I love the charcoal Brinkman wet smoker and I use it for all my smoking needs. Love it!!! I only wish it could hold more because a couple large hunks of the albacores was all I could fit in there at one time. Squaw Candy made with Salmon and YFT Jerky is awesome. But I prefer to smoke my fish more slowly so I use less heat and I have to add coals occasionally to keep the temperature low.

BULLDOGBOOGERS, I find it hard to belive that you have never fished for trout before. Looks like you did pretty darned good for a noob. Will you be back for more?

BULLDOGBOOGERS
01-21-2009, 08:13 AM
thanks one leg......yes thats the first 5 trout that i have ever caught in my life !! i always fish for catfish.... those darn things really put up a good fight !!i had fun and i plan on going out again soon ! out of those 5 trout that i caught i sure wish i knew what kind they were.... tailwalkers or the other ones.... they all look the same to me. they are a slippery fish.... and always seem to swallow the hook deep in there mouth... l.o.l. ... scott