PDA

View Full Version : Bought some new gear

smitty99
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Well I've been trying to put a surf fishing combo together. I didn't really have any gear to start so I had to begin from scratch. I did lots of reading and research the past few weeks and deicided on the following:

Rod: Went with the E21 Carrot Stix CLTX721M-DSS 7'2" Medium (4-16# line) (1/8-1/2oz lure weight) Moderate Fast action with 10-1/2" grip.

For a reel: Shimano Sedona 4000FD. I know thats a little larger than most recommended using for a lighter surf setup but I wanted something I could put 12# test on, and I'll just use 6# flouro leaders for lighter applications. Not sure how that will work out but figure I'll give it a try.
I have a couple extra Okuma Aveons (a 15 and 20) that I could also slap on the same pole.

Waders, lures, & terminal gear: 3mm lightweight Cabelas neoprene waders, felt sole wading boots, various lucky craft lures and some kroc spoons, grubs/gulp camo worms, plastic pre-rigged shrimp. The 3rd Grip rod & tool holster, xtools floating pliars, a chest storage pack, and some other misc gear. All in all I dropped about 600 bucks. I think I should be good to start.

Anybody have a digital camera they recommend? I was looking at those Pentax Waterproof cameras but not sure if they would hold up if dropped in salt water.

Can't wait to get out and try the surf with my new gear. I am planning on heading up to Vandenberg AFB to hit the surf in a week or two. The beaches are always scarce of people up there.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Damn dude. You're set. That's some great gear you got. You must have dropped some serious cash getting that setup together!

candyman
01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
By far man rated one of the best in japan, you can't beat this camera for all your needs, shockproof,waterproof, all in one. but a little pricey

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1363

smitty99
01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Candyman, thank you. I think thats the one I want. Maybe I'll wait until I drop my point-and-shoot in the drink then splurge on this 1030. Hopefully the price comes down or maybe even a better model comes out!!!:LOL:

Ghost
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I have the Carrots Stix rods too. But I don't even live close to the ocean...that being said, do make sure you hose off the guides on the Carrot Stix after you fishing in the salt water. The guides are chrome guides, which I think are similar to stainless steel...they will rust if you don't hose the guides off & clean them.

smitty99
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tip Ghost!!! Will def do that!

Ghost
01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Look at the BPS site under saltwater fishing. They have the Carrot Stix saltwater rods. The diffrence is the guides are TiCh instead of chrome & the reel handles are different. But price is the same which is cool. I like the looks of the saltwater Carrot Stix! I may have to look into the 6'9" MH baitcast rod, I like the specs on that.

jim532
01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
As i recall Ritz camera sells extended warrenties with their cameras that cover EVERYTHING but fire or theft. I guess that includes being dropped into saltwater.

smitty99
01-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Damn Ghost, I may have choked on this choice!! I didn't know there was a diff!!! Where were you when I made the purchase!!! Awww chit....oh well what can you do????

bsp
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Well I've been trying to put a surf fishing combo together. I didn't really have any gear to start so I had to begin from scratch. I did lots of reading and research the past few weeks and deicided on the following:

Rod: Went with the E21 Carrot Stix CLTX721M-DSS 7'2" Medium (4-16# line) (1/8-1/2oz lure weight) Moderate Fast action with 10-1/2" grip.

For a reel: Shimano Sedona 4000FD. I know thats a little larger than most recommended using for a lighter surf setup but I wanted something I could put 12# test on, and I'll just use 6# flouro leaders for lighter applications. Not sure how that will work out but figure I'll give it a try.
I have a couple extra Okuma Aveons (a 15 and 20) that I could also slap on the same pole.

Waders, lures, & terminal gear: 3mm lightweight Cabelas neoprene waders, felt sole wading boots, various lucky craft lures and some kroc spoons, grubs/gulp camo worms, plastic pre-rigged shrimp. The 3rd Grip rod & tool holster, xtools floating pliars, a chest storage pack, and some other misc gear. All in all I dropped about 600 bucks. I think I should be good to start.

Anybody have a digital camera they recommend? I was looking at those Pentax Waterproof cameras but not sure if they would hold up if dropped in salt water.

Can't wait to get out and try the surf with my new gear. I am planning on heading up to Vandenberg AFB to hit the surf in a week or two. The beaches are always scarce of people up there.

If it is at all possible, I would return the rod, reel, waders, boots, chest pack, various lucky crafts, and miscellaneous gear. Then invest the money in two specialized combos instead of one general one. I would go with a Phenix 7' Medium Heavy crankbait rod (the X-10) with a 200 size baitcaster and a a Phenix 7'6" Medium Dropshot rod with a 2500 size spinning reel. I like those rods a lot b/c they let me cover everything from surf perch to halibut.

When you are dropping $600 on gear, it makes more sense to spend the money on high quality rods and reels instead of on gadgets and an all around combo. Also buy some LC Flash minnow 110s and Wander 80s and you'll be set for hardbaits.

You don't need waders in SoCal since the water does not get below 50 degrees very often and you will never be in water more than 3 or 4ft deep. I use board shorts all year round. Just store your gear in a small backpack with waterproof Plano boxes and you'll be fine. I have a Plano Guide Field Box 1425 that holds my camera and cellphone. If you put it towards the top of the pack, it will never be submerged for long. The huge plus about the box is that you don't need to drop more money on a new camera since it will never get wet.

smitty99
01-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah you're probably right but I wanted the waders for steelhead fishing up in Washington anyhow and I'm a pansy when it comes to cold water so the board shorts this time of year wouldn't cut it for me. I plan on spending some more dough in the next month or so and getting a couple more rod/reel combos.