PDA

View Full Version : Good Marine Starter Batt

GdHkSet1
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Well I thought i had a good cranking battery. Had both Cranking and Deep cycle batteries on the on-board charger night before Irvine, next morning the obd chrgr says fully charged. got to the launch ramp and hear the worse sound you can hear when you turn the key!

Battery is only 7 months old it is a Interstate Cranking Marine 24M-XHD 800CCA, 1000MCA which I purchased with a 08MERC 50hp. Always charged my batteries after each day on the water, maintained proper water levels with distilled water, just don't understand why this batt would die at a early age. The batt is covered under warranty still.

Anyone out there had issues with INTERSTATE MARINE BATTS???

TRDEXPERT
01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Cold weather drains batteries. When I had my boat I always carried a Portbale Jumper Box. They come in handy

diamondbear
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Iam not a battery expert but maybe by you charging your batteries after each use instead of letting them drain down each time before a charge , your shorting the life cycle of your battiers maybe ? hopes this helps Vince // steve

GdHkSet1
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I got a lemon battery, and my portable battery pack needs to be in my boat next time I go out!. Yeah we had some cold weather, but enough to ruin my battery? It seems like a pain in the arse to remove my cranking battery every time after fishing during our "short" winter cycle in socal- My onboard chrger is less than a yr old too, we'll see what happens after I get my exchange battery.

Steve- going to make the striper bowl on 31JAN?

XFACTOR
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I have been an auto mech for 30+ years and have replaced way to many Interstate batteries. Many of the batteries were less than 2 years old and either had a bad cell or just would not hold a charge. When I bought my Nitro at Anglers marine first thing I did was have them swap out the new Interstates for Trojan. Now it's 5 years old and just starting to get weak. If I play the tunes for to long the motor barely starts. Trojans are a little costly so I think that I will now get an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery from West Marine and see how it survives.

smartcaddie
01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
i agree its hit or miss with interstate batteries.. do you have a battery tester? if so charge the battery and see how much voltage youhave after its fully charged.. does the batter have water in it? check for that as well.. if everything turns out bad then just have them replace it.. one year full warranty on them replacement for free.

GdHkSet1
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Just turned in the Interstate 24M-XHD 800CCA 1000MCA "lemon"this afternoon. They load tested the batt-which it failed, voltage was around 11.5VDC and it was on the charger before I took it over to the interstate dealer. Will have a free replacement in a few days. May have to swith to a AGM batt if the next batt goes sour before my warranty is up. 5 yrs on that Trojan AGM... that's the reliability I want at launch.

Tight lines....

GdHkSet1
01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Went to pick up my replacement Interstate warranty battery today at my local Interstate dealer. Dealer said when Interstate rep verified from the date serial# engraved on the front face of the battery (not the Month/Year sticker on top) that the battery I purchased in MAY08 was actually 17month old battery not 9 months! So I could'nt get my guranteed 12 month replacement. Called the original dealer and told them they sold me a battery not under a 12 month replacement gurantee, they are going to compensate with a full exchange. This time I'm going to check the date code engraved on the batt, and not rely on that month/year sticker on top of the batt. BEWARE OF INTERSTATE!

Rambogottafish
01-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I had a similar experience with those batteries. I got so frustrated I swapped out all 3 in my boat for Delco Voyagers. These batteries hold a charge.

GdHkSet1
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Finally got my replacement Interstate battery today, hopefully this one does'nt go out on me. Regardless, the dealer verified the date code on the front side and confirmed the batt is g2g.

crappiemike
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
good thread thnx for the info...

cm

sansou
02-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Are you taking your battery out of the boat and charging it on the cement/concrete floor of your garage (or just simply storing them on the floor in between trips)???

If so, that'll kill any battery.

Fisherman57 clued me in to that a few winters ago when I called to complain about a battery problem.

GdHkSet1
02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
SANSOU,
Whats up. I installed a onboard 2-bank 5A auto charger last year. So I charge both my Group27 deep cycle and the cranking battery after a day of fishing. Night before, I go fishing I plug in the charger so I'm good to go the following a.m, yeah my neighbor taught me to have your batteries on wood if you have them out of the boat. Hopefully this interstate will last longer. See you on the water......