PDA

View Full Version : Advice on waders?

mth1997
01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been looking for some waders and I have a few questions for anyone who has owned some.

1. Anyone heard of 'Chota' brand waders? Are they quality waders?

2. Is there a significant difference in the durability of Orvis, Simms, or other higher end waders from say White River or Cabela's brand waders? I want waders that will last several years or more, but I'm on a low budget.

3. Any recommendations on brands of waders and/or boots? Or maybe horror stories of brands to stay away from?

A bit of info that might help you to help me: I'll be using them in freshwater, mostly streams and rivers, and I'm looking for chest-high breathable stocking-foot waders that can be easily converted to waist high waders.

Nessie Hunter
01-20-2009, 08:59 AM
For stream & River wading only!!! you will need boots to protect the foot.
The felt sole boots seem to be preferred for that application.
If you are not going to Float Tube, you may want to look at Boot Foot waders instead of the Stocking Foot?????
Either way, most breathables are made of the same material, with slight variances in thickness and knee patches, pockets etc... (read labels)

All Breathables will catch and tear on snags (branches/bushes etc). So be careful..
They have a slick surface and will avoid many snags but????

I have used the stocking foot only, I float tube..
But now and then do wade in surf and streams.. I simply wear old sneakers or water slippers over the stocking foot.. They seem to grip the rock surfaces OK to me...???

I would suggest going to a few brick & motor stores and touching/feeling and reading labels, look also for the size & fit of diff brands.. Some are bigger at legs, hips, waist etc then others....

I prefer the "clown pants" fit, for wearing layered clothing under and for getting in & out with ease. Also the big size allows for easy bladder draining :Secret: :Embarrassed: ....
Staying hydrated means that will be important...

For Chest high to waist high?? you may not find exact ones that convert...
They (most brands) come with a waist strap, designed to close the waist and keep excess water out... I would think on a hot day you could wade with that strap around hips/waist and undo shoulder straps to make for hip wader fit????
Other then getting a funny looking tan, they are light enough that you probably wont bother....

My 2 cents............ :Envious:

mth1997
01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh, I'm getting boots for sure. I didn't even know that folks use stocking foot waders without boots (other than with a float tube, I guess).

Good tip on the different dimensions, I didn't consider that. Thanks

No one knows whats up with 'Chota' brand though?

steve092
01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Check these out:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_7666____SearchResults

They are not crazy expensive and they work real well on rocks. I would recommend the felt sole boots.

mth1997
01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Steve, I'm looking for some breathables though. I wore a buddies neoprenes up in Truckee last summer and when I took them off I was soaked with sweat. I might as well have been wearing cotton shorts. I guess they saved me from freezing in that cold mountain water though.

Damn, I had really hoped that someone has at least heard of Chota waders. They're all over ebay at decent prices but I want a testimonial by someone who's used them before I buy 'em. Especially since I can't touch them before buying.