PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Time in LA

City Dad
01-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm a big proponent of supporting local tackle/bait shops and am always on the lookout for mom&pop stores to check out.

Last Friday I stopped by Fishing Time at Western and Beverly in LA. Paul is very helpful and they have a really cool selection of tackle you're probably not going to find at the local mega-stores.

They also carry lugworms and frozen ghostshrimp and I believe the do rod wrapping there as well.

I'll be going back there before my next trip to the surf.

hakaveli
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes he does custom rod wrapping. All my rods are being wrapped by him at the moment and does a fantastic job at paying attention to detail. His website will be up and running in no time and u can purchase stuff online.

If anyone decides to go there just tell him Hakaveli sent you and he will set u up.

FISH HARD

Ricky-Ray
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
If anyone decides to go there just tell him Hakaveli sent you and he will set u up.

FISH HARD

I'll ask for the Hak special, and I'll get reels with no drag's or handles..... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Just kidding Hak... Been there twice last year... Really nice guy.

hakaveli
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll ask for the Hak special, and I'll get reels with no drag's or handles..... :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

STFU Ricky dont mess with people business

mickeysindahouse
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
I, too, am a big on supporting local Tackle Shops. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by too many at the moment. I've got Joy Fishing about 5 blocks from me, Fishing Time is only 5 minutes away, Cosmos is not much farther, nor is Fishing 25 & New World Camping. All these shops no more than 10 minutes away - in essence, I'm screwed!

I do have to point out though that Paul is definitely one of my new Fav's. Paul is very meticulous in the detail he pays to his rod wrapping. He's re-done some rod tips that other tackle shops (won't mention names) totally screwed up. He also offers a few bells & whistles as well. Here's an example:
http://mickeysindahouse.com/fishing/trek/stcroix.gif

Anyhow, Paul's a cool cat! He will special order stuff for you, hold items, etc. He goes above and beyond and that's what keeps me going back.

BassinChef
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Paul is super cool and very nice guy I drive by that place on my way to work everyday.....and I cant count how many times i have been late to work because of that corner 3 tackle shops in a2 block radius very dangerous on payday

BassinChef

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-20-2009, 07:01 AM
I like to go to kennys rod nd reel in upland. Kennys diffently a cool hombre. Those little shops are hurting for more buissness due to the financial situation. Kenny wraps some nice stuff. I purchased a 2 wt. Fly rod he wrapped a months ago its nice.

smitty99
01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Anybody know of any good tackle shops close to Hermosa Beach or within the south bay? I go to Turners but they seem a bit overpriced.

Ricky-Ray
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Anybody know of any good tackle shops close to Hermosa Beach or within the south bay? I go to Turners but they seem a bit overpriced.

You can try:

Baja Fish Gear
24603 Narbonne Ave.
Lomita, CA 90717
(310) 517-9897
http://www.bajafishgear.com

Purfield's Pro. Tackle
12512 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 397-6171

Yo's Custom Rods & Fishing Tackle
16120 S Western Ave
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 532-1376

CalamARI
01-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I think Baja is overpriced. Good on sale days for certain things but that's about it. They charged me $58 for 300yds of 65# Izor spectra and
60yd top. Something like $52 for the spectra alone, that's 25% more than most places, their jigs are $2-$4 more than most places too.
I used to go in there a lot, but lately I feel like I get burned everytime I come out of there.

Yo's in Gardena, South Bay Fishing Tackle (Redondo Beach Blvd near the Rodium), and Chaeil in Hawthorne (Rosecrans and Shoup) are pretty good.

For best prices I've found go to Fisherman's Supplies (190th and the 405fwy) or the Rusty Hook in San Pedro also has good prices (Gaffey and
2nd?, right where the 110 ends).

disbejonnn
01-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Paul is a great guy and really cares for the customers. I've ordered a few things from him and got them on time with great prices. Fishing Time is a very helpful local fishing store with great customer service.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM

smitty, i've lived all over the south bay including hermosa and i haven't come across any reasonably priced tackle shops, but then again i haven't looked really hard. i live by LAX now and I usually just go over to Sport Chalet, even though they're pricey I just like the selection. I also go to Big 5 on El Segundo Blvd. and they have good prices, but their selection sucks. Sometimes I go out to Turners in Redondo but they are pricey, although I do like supporting them cause they hire knowledgable people. I think with all the fisherman coming out of the Torrance area there are probably some great lesser-known tackle shops around there that probably cater more to Asians and have good prices. I bet with some asking around you could find some...

CalamARI
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I think with all the fisherman coming out of the Torrance area there are probably some great lesser-known tackle shops around there that probably cater more to Asians and have good prices. I bet with some asking around you could find some...

If you read my post I just listed them. Try fishermans hardware (down the street from redondo's Turners). Or Cheail (sp.?) on Rosecrans, just west of the 405fwy.

smitty99
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
ALL great info thanks gents. I work right off El Segundo and Aviation. I'll have to check out that Big 5. Been a while since I've been in there. Never been in a sports chalet in my life!