PDA

View Full Version : MLK weekend fishing for Lower Otay

bluehunter
01-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Out to Otay yesterday with Devin. Stopped at a Mexican food spot I always frequent when I fish SD and picked up some Steak Ranchero and some Jamaica(pronounced hamaica, I used to call it jamaica and they would laugh at me-) and I was good to go for the morning.

We arrived at opening and went off to the spot. First thing at the spot I was able to pick up a few gills small size, but the cats were not awakened yet. We bounced around to a few spots and still were not able to get any cats. There were a few other cat boats in Harvey Arm and also Otay arm but all we could see was that they were bouncing too trying to locate the cats. One of them was the big cat slayer for Otay lake.

Finally in the evening after movong around a few times we went back to the first spot and the gills and catfish started to venture out and chew. Had a few runs and one that became stuck in structure. But we were able to pull out a few decent channels at 5 and 7 pounds. Bonita was the lick for them. Also pulled off one fat gill and a crappie as well at the zone.

Overall it was a slow day out there and we had to work for the fish there. Weather was very pleasant. Water was very cool and the cats just are not into the right feeding conditions yet at Otay. This is really a spring lake and the blues start showing in better numbers around late Feb and early March there. Unless there is a rain storm there than its a different story. Rain supposively next weekend so that is a prime time to roll for Sunday if it holds up.

On the way back home we stopped at an old school soul food spot I frequent in San Diego and I picked up some beef rib tips, collard greens, and, mac and cheese. Dev had the beef short ribs, mac and cheese, and yams. This is the spot I always roll to in Sd on the way home a lot.

I am working on a slide video to post later with more pics and food as well as a few pics of the parade for tomorrow. So stay tuned for the vid to cap off a love's holiday celebrating MLK weekend.

LateFisher
01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Bluehunter, congrats on the fish you caught. Looking forward to your video, and sounds like some good eats. :ROFL:

bluehunter
01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Ok everyone here is a link to the vid I put together. Used my camera for that one but will upgrade to better things soon. Im learning. LOl. Will get better at this soon. Hope you like it.

B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbpBJxpU7U&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit2?ns=1&video_id=lWbpBJxpU7U&next=%2Fmy_videos2%3Fpi%3D0%26ps%3D20iurl=http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/lWbpBJxpU7U/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded

sidified
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
For once I'm not as interested in your great report about the fishing as in the name of the soul food palace--sweet potato pie?

bluehunter
01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
LOL, Thanks.

The soul food place is Huffmans BBQ off of Imperial and the 805 in San Diego. Really good soul food there. I recommend them if you acquire a taste for it in San Diego.