PDA

View Full Version : Pvr- 1/17

Joshua
01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Softball season has begun and my weekends are a thing of the past. Took off for one last trip to PVR for the season.
Made it Bishop at 615am, waited for Culvers to OPen. Got some of the required equipment and a second rod stamp. The guy in the shop said, "it is too easy at PVR, and we should try the river" Well he was right
I had been at PVR about a month prior and had fantastic luck. Fishing is luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Had one guy with me from our last trip (Dan) and a new participant (Harvey) Harvey fishes the Sierras, but spends most of his time near June loop and Bridgeport. He has passed up all these areas.
Jumped on the bikes and made the quik ride to the launch ramp. Harvey had a mechanical problem with the bike. Somehow the front brake got wedged against the tire. It was killing him. He had to get off and push it. (PC incorrect) I had to ask him why I always see mexicans pushing bikes.:Rolls Eyes: Just ride it , I kept yelling at him.
Hit the water and it was wide open again. There were 2 guys already there that had fished the day before. They said it was WFO the day before
Sunny and blue skies. Temp were pleasant to warm. Caught more fish than I could count. Everything worked. Spent more time throwing lures this trip. Thomas Bouyant produced best for me. Harvey was killing it with a Cyclone. Tried 5-6 different lures. All caught fish. PB, worm, eggs. It all worked. Landed a couple nice 1.5-2. most were the DFG cookie cutters
We heard rumors of brood stock. So we swung through town and headed down Line St. Dan pulled out 2 nice fish, best went about 3 lbs. He is a novice angler. He tried his best to lose this fish. From pumping the rod like it was a halibut, walked up the bank rubbing the line of the edge of the bank. got the line wrapped on a partially submerged bush. Amazing. All this while using my rod. I went in and did the 2 handed bear scoop. Very nice fish
I landed 5 or 6. 2 were in the 1.-1.5 range. The others were small. Harvey spent the majority of the time fighting a tangle in his line

WOuld love to get back soon.

Overall a good trip.

Troutman65
01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Great fishing trip. Thanks for the report.

one_leg
01-21-2009, 08:54 PM
We are gonna go up a lil' higher very soon. Thanks for the report though.

bones
01-22-2009, 04:51 AM
It's reports like this that bring back very fond memories. This is the time of year that's perfect for PVR. I am in the process of planning a trip up there very soon. TO told me once that when they stocked PVR at the launch ramp he saw a HUGE brownie with a alper sideways in it's mouth. Makes me want to toss big baits for the BIG BOYZ. Funny how you mentioned the brood stock thing too........about 20 years ago .....Mount Whitney fish hatchery let go a ton of their older brood stock at PVR and I stuck a 12 lb rainbow. Still my PB up there. Thanks for the report!

yztim
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Going this weekend to PVR for my second time, and don't remember seeing any launch ramp. How far in from which end?
thanks, tim

bones
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Going this weekend to PVR for my second time, and don't remember seeing any launch ramp. How far in from which end?
thanks, tim

As I remember.....The road from the powerplant to the lower dam is about 2 miles long....
The Launch ramp is really just a spot where the DFG can access the water with their truck and it's pretty easy to tell the spot since most of the area is just boulders and shale. If your walking ..... It's a nice distance from either end which would put it somewhere in the middle. The reason why I'm kinda sketchy is because I never go that far anymore but rather fish the inlet instead. Too many years of getting plastered up there and doing that long grind back to the car so now......I prefer to fish moving water and the inlet provides that as soon as they start pumping. My go to baits up there are always small trout pattern rapalas,mira shads and cultiva lures. I love geting bit on those lures and big bows and brownies will slam even the bigger 4" baits.Hell....you can catch DFG stockers anywhere in socal but a stream grown brownie......Now that's a bonus. Last time I was up there with Bigred he caught a small brownie on a nightcrawler and then a 4lb brownie came up out of the depths and ate the small brownie......It was crazy. The big boys are in there so don't forget the big baits.

yztim
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
thanks bones. In oct I had good success by the plant with a cd1 brownie for some browns. bought a few 7 and 9's to hunt for the bigger ones.

If I'm casting CD7 and 9's, do you recommend going to the ramp, or just where it starts to get deep?
tim

bones
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
CD7s or 9s are better off being used in deeper water and you will lose them in the upper section. Once you walk a ways down though it's all good. I never have to go past the upper area though. I like the tree lined area just above the reservoir itself.Mostly because it provides some shade and wind protection not to mention it's just prettier!
It's been my experience that when it's flowing at all.....The brownies move up stream and get active. Some of the bigger model rainbows and alpers like the current also. The rest of the reservoir is pretty featureless as you walk the road. I think alot of the fish move around because the water is always going up and down. Don't get stuck on just the launch ramp. The pressure on that area scatters the fish pretty fast and after they have been in there for a few days they get hungry and move on out.I've even heard about the locals tossing smaller ac plugs at night time around the launch ramp for some big brutes that only feed at night.......I still gotta try that some day!

Joshua
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
From the power plant to the dam is 3 miles. The launch ramp is half way. You will know it when you see it. It is large enough to launch a boat or for a DFG stock truck.
You can find fish almost anywhere, but the ramp is an easy place to locate. We ride in on bikes. makes the trip almost effortless. There are a couple high spots that make the legs burn.
I also prefer moving water, but I like to wade out. Winter wading doesnt sound too warm. I was with 2 other guys that like to bait and wait. I am hoping to get another trip in soon. I will have to hit up the moving water. I have been slammed by some big browns in there. Just havent gotten them to the net. I would call the LDR, but that isnt true. They flat out snapped me off

bones
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Found the pic of Bigreds brownie that ate his little brownie at the powerplant...... It's a sick set of pics especially the last one. The Big brown wasn't hooked and what was insane is that when Bigred got it to shore the first time the big boy spit out the little one but IMMEDIATLY made a U turn and came back for the injured little one and snatched it up again. The second time we got it to the net.......No BS. Greg Madrigal was there and took the pics.
Check it out.......

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=19778&highlight=parchers

BigGameHunter
02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Nice job... All these PVR posts are driving me crazy. I've been wanting to go up there [b]BAD[/]. I've never been but have a feeling it will be an experience!!! Thanks for the report..

BGH