PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 MLK Derby Limit

Marley
01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Nothing fancy, just a nuts and bolts report for Sunday, January 18. Trolled the west shore for nothing, then Marley's Secret Spot #1.4 for what ended up WFO fishing. Trouble was, the wind made it so very difficult to hold an anchor, keep the boat in one aspect (or close to it) and ultimately see the bite. I went through a lot of worms today on missed bites, though I think more than a couple of the undetected hits were bluegill, which I managed a handful of to go along with the trout I caught.
I was also very fortunate to have caught a fish that placed me 4th in the derby. There were a lot of comments about how small the fish were that placed, but we fished the conditions and one of the conditions was the fish that we could find that were hungry. I would much rather have had a fish like GMoney's, but that wasn't to be for me today. I'll let him tell about his beauty. I'll be looking for a Masters qualifier again, and just maybe I can move into the top two or three fish next time out.
I took home a limit of trout ranging from a pound up to the 2.1 pounder that paid for my day. As an aside, the fish came on a new Phenix rod. If you've never had the pleasure of playing with one of these sticks, treat yourself. They are emotion in motion, to be sure.
Good luck to all who will fish Monday's edition (they're biting worms.)

one_leg
01-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice to see you out there. Spot #1.4 should be hot tomorrow also. Congrats to you.

Troutman65
01-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Marley, Nice going on placing 4th and taking home some cash. I think you have done that before if I remember correctly. ( Taking home the cash ) :Cool:

You got to love Secert Spot #1.4 .

That spot has always been very good to me over the years.

See you next time.

Judder73
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Congrats on placing 4th.....Good Luck Next round !!!!!!!!!

Mondo21
01-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Congrats on placing and on the dough you won. I couldn't get the fish to bite on worms Saturday. Man I wish I could be there tomorrow. Fished Saturday,Sunday rested up and Monday,catch up with errands and housework. A girl's work is never done. Cindy:Big Grin:

Marley
01-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks, guys. I've been fortunate so far this season. One thing I've been playing around with is blowing up meal worms and fishing them over a single split shot. That was absolutely deadly Sunday. It's tricky and you have to practice. Everything, especially bluegill, will eat them. My biggest trout to-date on the floating meal worm was an 11-pounder last season.

Gmoney
01-19-2009, 07:45 AM
marley
it was really great meeting you yesterday.
props on pullin in a lil $$ to pay for the day - very cool

im gonna have to try the inflated mealworm one of these days!!

take care and i look forward to seeing ya again

G$

troutdog
01-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Congrats on the 4th place finish...the size of the fish at the Vine this season has been a MAJOR dissapointment vs last year thus far. What happend to all the 3-5 lb fish this year? :Confused:

TD

Mondo21
01-20-2009, 11:26 AM
[quote=troutdog;297288]Congrats on the 4th place finish...the size of the fish at the Vine this season has been a MAJOR dissapointment vs last year thus far. What happend to all the 3-5 lb fish this year? :Confused:

You will just have to cheat some more on your best girl and go where they are bigger:LOL: Cindy

dirty girl
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Dirty Marley,
great meeting you at the weigh in. congrats on your derby place! didja go out and buy matching boots? :Cool: hope to see you at the lake again soon!

keepin it dirty,
Dirty Girl

Marley
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Dirty Marley,
great meeting you at the weigh in. congrats on your derby place! didja go out and buy matching boots? :Cool: hope to see you at the lake again soon!

keepin it dirty,
Dirty Girl

Thanks, DG! Nice meeting you, too. I couldn't find those wild things in a size 13. Still lookin' though. Oughta bring a look or two on the tuna grounds, no?