PDA

View Full Version : outboard motor HELP!

socalrippin
01-18-2009, 05:19 PM
i bought a 17' fisher form a fellow fnn member a little over a year ago. it has a 50hp Force outboard motor. it starts right up, always has and when i first got it it ran great. i took it to perris around the third time out and was heading across the lake full throttle when all of a sudden the boat basically went into neutral and just revved out until i brought the throttle way down to like 10 miles an hour. it cruises fine until the motor hits a certain rpm then it goes into neutral or whatever its doing. does anybody know what or why the motor is doing this? how to fix it?

i dont know anything about outboard motors so any info/help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!!!

GeordyBass
01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
something is wrong with the lower unit.Might be the clutch(dog) slipping.How does it sound in reverse?Does it rattle?

Or:check inside the cover and see the where the control cables are connected,the accelerator might be loose.

the lower unit might be the problem,take it to a mechanic,or buy a lower unit or parts motor on ebay and only pay for labor.

btw:stay away from Force outboards!they are problematic...(not bashing on the seller).

BingJr
01-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Before you go gettin all crazy with Geordys advice.. :LOL:

Check the prop. Sounds like a spun hub. In your driveway with the ignition off, put the motor in gear and spin the prop the other way. If the prop spins without the shaft spinning you have a spun hub. Relatively common problem. If the hub and the prop spin in the opposite direction than it could be a gear thing. Sounds like a spun hub on your prop. You may be looking at spending 10's of dollars on a new prop. :Smile:

Also, Force outboards are made by Mercury. It is just their lower end version.

GeordyBass
01-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Before you go gettin all crazy with Geordys advice.. :LOL:

Also, Force outboards are made by Mercury. It is just their lower end version.

hahahaha,
i had the same problem with another motor bingo...lol...

Force was Made and Engineered by Chrysler(U.S. Marine),bought by Mercury because Chrysler almost went bankrupt(guess why?),Merged with Mercury...but Mercury didn't interfere with their design.

Schoolin'!!
:Twisted::ROFL::Twisted::ROFL:

one_leg
01-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Sounds like it is ruined. Buy a new one and let me have the old one.

GeordyBass
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds like it is ruined. Buy a new one and let me have the old one.
outboard_leg...lol...

seahonk
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
socalrippin I have been around boats for many years and it sounds like your problem is a spun hub , Put a new prop on and you will be fine , A spun hub in the rubber part of the propellor that worn out , you can have your old prop rebuilt but its cost's just a few more bucks to buy a new one .:Cool:

smartcaddie
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I completley agree with the spun hub theory. its quite common. though i also agree with Geo, they are problematic, but as long as you stay on top of their service you should be fine.

socalrippin
01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks a million for all the info guys! im goin to check it out right now...

..............one leg. your funny....

socalrippin
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
i put it in gear "ignition off" and spun the prop the opposite way. the prop and hub both turn and its kinda hard to turn by hand. compression of the motor im guessing. im thinking the problem might be the lower unit...

heres a few pics. does anything look wrong besides the prop being beat to hell? the previous owner did that by the way... oh and what about cavitation? i heard if your props too beat up or out of shape it could cause cavitation around it. anyone heard of this?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/socalrippin/50hpforce004.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/socalrippin/50hpforce001-1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee166/socalrippin/50hpforce006.jpg

matt duarte
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
the problem is you havent gave me that damn triple trout yet! once you give it to me your motor will trun fine TRUST ME! hhahaa

socalrippin
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
f n matt..........no!

one_leg
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Maybe you should try putting it on backwards for a couple trips?

GeordyBass
01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
f n matt..........no!
i think matt sabotaged your motor...lol...

BingJr
01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
That giant flat spot on the prop is from hitting something which is what can cause a spun hub. That prop looks like its seen its best days. Taking that prop to any mechanic they should be able to tell you very quickly if its spun or not.

If your gonna test it by hand you would spin it the opposite way of the gear you have it it, So if its in reverse spint it forward etc etc, but taking it to the mechanic could quickly tell you. It could also be soooo damaged that it just looses grab and just cavitates which will cause the prop to loose grab in the water causing a rev in RPMS but a drop in propulsion. Kind of like burning out in a car. Both highly possible.

smartcaddie
01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
ok so you already did the prop test right? when you go 3/4 throttle and spin out.. do you have to put it back on neutral to go again or you just cut back on the throttle and it grabs again?

socalrippin
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
i just cut back on the throttle and it engages again. i dont have to put it back in neutral first.

BingJr
01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Spun Hub. When the pressure comes off the prop as the RPMs drop, it will hook up again and go. Sounds definitely like a spun hub. Might be time for a new prop.

socalrippin
01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
bing, so the hub is on the prop itself? its not the shaft that the prop slides onto?

i can just buy a new prop and the problem will be fixed if its a spun hub?

thanks!!!!!

dixoncider
02-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Hub is spun. get new prop or have it fixed. with that prop cheaper to get new one. now is the time to change pitch if needed.

riverbud55
02-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Get a new prop or have it rebuilt, You should NEVER EVER run a prop with that much damage, you run it like that for long its going to tare the bearings up in the lower unit from being out of balance, there are places to rebuild them, going to be around a $100.00 w/hub I would buy a new one and have the old one rebuilt for a spare. My guess its cavitateing , you could also mark the hub with a paint marker with a line from center out and put it back in the water and see if all the lines match up after it spins out

socalrippin
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
thanks for the info thats a good idea!

BingJr
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
What was the outcome? I think you can get new props that small for a very very reasonable price. Let us know how it turns out. Yeah the hub is the way the center of the prop attaches to the main prop itself. If ya hit stuff the prop stops spinning but the hub keeps going and it will spin out of the center so not to destroy your lower end gears. It is kinda like a skateboard wheel bearing as the center hub and the outer prop will spin independently of one another. (not nearly as easy as in a bearing of course) but you get the idea.