PDA

View Full Version : Lower Owens Report

retired96
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Got to Bishop Monday, 1/12 about 1100 and came home today 1/17.
The weather was fantastic, cool and crisp in the morning and in the low 70's in the afternoon.
The fishing was very good, I fished from Laws Bridge down to Collins Rd. I caught fish on everything, bait and assorted lures. I didn't keep a daily count but caught about 25-30 each day with about 6-7 hours of fishing.

DFG stocked 1600 pounds of big brooders on Thursday at Laws, Line St. and Warm Springs, about 500 pounds at each bridge. I was at Line St when they stocked and saw them dump about 100 fish. I asked the guy if they were tagged fish and he laughed and said we ran out of tags. I later on Friday caught 4 of the monster brooders up river from Line St. and they were all about 5 pounds. ( caught and released on green Rooster Tails.)

Let me tell you it was crowded, Monday I saw no one, Tuesday, fished all day and saw one person, Wed, 2 other fishermen, Thursday 2 fishermen. Friday was packed jam with 7 fishermen seen. Basically had the river to myself. Friday I spent most of the day by Line St. fished all day with no one else in sight.

The trash in the river at Line St. east of the bridge was sickening, there were at least 50 empty worm containers and 25-30 plastic water bottles floating atop the reeds in the water, sadly there was no way to get to them to clean up.

The only downside was I lost about 8 assorted lures, one on a huge 10 pound plus carp that I snagged.

Cal Trans is doing alot of work on 395 and have completly torn up the N/B lanes north of Independence for about 10 plus miles, making drivers drive in the new S/B lanes. The speed limit is 55 in that section.

Got a big laugh when this idiot in his monster truck passed me at 100 mph and the car in front of me which was a slick top CHP. I bet he pooped his pants when he saw the CHP logo on the doors as he flew past the patrol car. I hope it cost him dearly as he was passing both of us in a no passing zone.

Was a great trip for January, couldn't ask for nicer weather and excellent fishing.

retired96
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I typed this 2nd post as my first one I typed about 90 minutes ago didn't get posted, but I see that its now on the board.

retired96
01-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I might add this isn't very much snow in the Sierra's as you drive north, I expected much more. We better pray for some big storms or it could be a miserable year as far as water flows later on in the year.

one_leg
01-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the report. Be safe up there.

MarkyMark
01-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Got to Bishop Monday, 1/12 about 1100 and came home today 1/17.
The weather was fantastic, cool and crisp in the morning and in the low 70's in the afternoon.
The fishing was very good, I fished from Laws Bridge down to Collins Rd. I caught fish on everything, bait and assorted lures. I didn't keep a daily count but caught about 25-30 each day with about 6-7 hours of fishing.

DFG stocked 1600 pounds of big brooders on Thursday at Laws, Line St. and Warm Springs, about 500 pounds at each bridge. I was at Line St when they stocked and saw them dump about 100 fish. I asked the guy if they were tagged fish and he laughed and said we ran out of tags. I later on Friday caught 4 of the monster brooders up river from Line St. and they were all about 5 pounds. ( caught and released on green Rooster Tails.)

Let me tell you it was crowded, Monday I saw no one, Tuesday, fished all day and saw one person, Wed, 2 other fishermen, Thursday 2 fishermen. Friday was packed jam with 7 fishermen seen. Basically had the river to myself. Friday I spent most of the day by Line St. fished all day with no one else in sight.

The trash in the river at Line St. east of the bridge was sickening, there were at least 50 empty worm containers and 25-30 plastic water bottles floating atop the reeds in the water, sadly there was no way to get to them to clean up.

The only downside was I lost about 8 assorted lures, one on a huge 10 pound plus carp that I snagged.

Cal Trans is doing alot of work on 395 and have completly torn up the N/B lanes north of Independence for about 10 plus miles, making drivers drive in the new S/B lanes. The speed limit is 55 in that section.

Got a big laugh when this idiot in his monster truck passed me at 100 mph and the car in front of me which was a slick top CHP. I bet he pooped his pants when he saw the CHP logo on the doors as he flew past the patrol car. I hope it cost him dearly as he was passing both of us in a no passing zone.

Was a great trip for January, couldn't ask for nicer weather and excellent fishing.

I agree..it's sad..I fished that area the Saturday after Thanksgiving..

gwjones00
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a great weekend of fishing!

I as up in Mammoth skiing with my kids this weekend. Snow levels are low so far this year - only about half of normal. Temps are also high - in the upper 40's at Mammoth over the weekend. Crowley is thawing - frozen around the edges, but the middle has open water.

The one thing that bothered me this past weekend was how slow it was up there. We stoppen at Jack's in Bishop for a late lunch (around 3:30 PM), and there were only three other parties in the restaurant. I was even able to book a condo in Mammoth last Monday at a discount. The news was saying Mammoth was only running at 50% capacity - bad for a three day weekend.

Finally, best gas prices were at Paiute Palace at 1.90. Arco/Giggle Springs 1.95. Vons 1.93 (with Vons Card discount). Fort Independence Reservation (advertised as the cheapest gas on 395) was 2.09.

sierraslam
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
That may be the first time I read where someone was bummed on to few people in the Sierras. I'm sure the economy has everything to do with fewer people, but i wouldn't be bothered by that. I'm going to Mammoth and Bishop this Friday, I hope everyone stays home when I'm there.

retired96
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I was not bummed on the very few people I saw fishing, I realize the economy is keeping alot of people home. It just surprised me that with the great weather there was no one up there.

FISH_HUNTER
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
"I'm going to Mammoth and Bishop this Friday, I hope everyone stays home when I'm there"

That's what I was thinking!:ROFL:
I'm sure the local business owners don't agree with us though! :LOL:

Thank you for the report, must have been really hard fishing by your self :LOL: Lucky you......Then again your retired :Big Grin:

sierraslam
01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
I know you weren't bummed on crowds Retired, I was giving GWjones00 a friendly jab. I know what Gw meant, it is kind of sad to actually see the economy affect the area like it has. Hopefully things will get better soon.

gwjones00
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Don't get me wrong - I was selfishly happy there were few people up there. But, check out this pic of the Village at Mammoth on Saturday:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/3211759422_854aca4682.jpg

Heck, when I pulled into Pauite Palace for gas Sunday afternoon (best price around), there weren't any cars in line! I have never seen it this deserted on a three day weekend, and I've been going up to the area since 1963.

Other things of note - Ranch House Cafe was closed Friday night about 9PM when we drove by - I remember the place being open all night on weekends.

If this continues much longer there will be businesses rolling over soon!

retired96
01-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Regarding businesses closing, the entire Cottonwood Plaza in Bishop closed at the end of the year, Burger King, Subway, Donut shop, restaurant etc. I think that was mainly due to some type of legal dispute between the owner and person leasing the property.. The entire shopping center has been fenced off.

gwjones00
01-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah - the Cottowood Plaza thing is between the property owner and the prime lessee: http://www.ksrw.sierrawave.net/site/content/view/1681/48/. Imperial Gourmet is moving down the street next to KFC (building is still under construction). The others that were there are kind of scattered to the wind. For right now, no Subway, no Burger King, no Baskin Robbins.....

Troutman65
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the report.