PDA

View Full Version : fishfinder ?

CPRfisher
01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
To all you electronics pros.....please help......

what is a GOOD fishfinder for not too high of price. what type and how much would i be looking to spend on a decent fishfinder. what are specs that i should look for in a finder?

Let me tell you what i have right now and what i dont want. I have a hummingbird that is about 5 yrs old ran be about $130. As you can imagine it works great for depth and temperature. It does not work good at finding fish. i have spent hours just using the fishfinder to see if i can get the "boomerang" or "arches" to show up. I have yet to see any arches. I took the fish ID off and tried playing with the contrast and sensitivity and i just cannot seem to get arches to show up. Im thinking that maybe this was just a crappy fish finder and i think im looking toward a lowrance finder as they have a very good reputation although i have heard that the new hummingbird finders are pretty good. I cannot afford more than 300 to 400 bucks. Im not a pro *maybe one day :)* i want arches LOL. no really though i just want a good fishfinder so i can find structure and perhaps see some arches around the structure.

CPRfisher
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
this must be the million dollar question nobody is willing to answer???

lizzay
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
i personally like the Humminbird 565 although I personally don't know how to use a fishfinder I really like how well the picture is painted.

SDDave
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Your asking for opinions, you'll get a Ford/Chevy answerer, far as price, you get what you pay for... Check out Bass Boat Central, there's ton's of electronic info there, also a buy and sell board there for good deals !

lalo56
01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
I have the Hummingbird fishfinder 565 portable and i would recommend it.

BassnRack
01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I have two lowrance x-17's on my boat, one with gps. They are a couple years old now. I have had lowrance in the past as well. Never had a problem with them. All the guys I know have Lowrance as well. I think it is more of a West Coast thing. Hummingbird seem to more of an East Coast thing. Although I think a lot of the pros up north use em too! I installed two x96's on my nephews boat and they seem to work pretty good. Pretty good detail, in the 300's in pixels both ways, and for $199, I don't know if you can beat it. They are not color, and they do not have GPS, but for an entry graph, they're alright!

hung380
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Bad transducer installation might be the problem with not seeing some perfect archs on the humminbird. I have a 787c2 and I only see archs when my tranducer beem is narrow in shallow waters and most of my fish displays are represented in lines. My furuno 585 with a properly installed transducer doesnt even show archs.