PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke or 4 stroke

dean070
06-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I am saving for a boat and am trying to make the right decisions. if anyone can shed some light on what the difference in a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke is i would appreciate it

Nessie Hunter
06-10-2007, 07:19 AM
2 stroke is designed to have OIL injected or oil Mixed with the gas, (no oil sump to lubricate, 2 stroke oil is expensive also), oil is used in the combustion chamber to lubricate the engine parts, and is used up rapidly like fuel..
High pollution in exhaust (except for newer model DIRECT INJECTION Models). Higher RPM and more power at lower RPM's..
Not allowed on a few Lakes due to high pollution level (DVL, Skinner)

4 Stroke is similar to car type engine, Oil sump for lubrication, Fuel is not mixed in any way, oil is not used up by running engine, is changed at regular intervals (like a car engine)...
Much less Pollution, less power at lower RPM's. Very Quiet, Better MPG..
4 Stroke is more desired for above reasons and normally cost more also (supply/demand??)...

If you can power with a 4 stroke you will be much happier. Sometimes cost per Horsepower prohibits it.

No mixing oil and fuel all the time. Very quiet. better MPG.. almost no/or much less pollution..........

dean070
06-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks

I knew i could count on you to educate me on the differences. Definitley will be going for the 4 stroke.

sansou
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
2 stroke is designed to have OIL injected or oil Mixed with the gas, (no oil sump to lubricate, 2 stroke oil is expensive also), oil is used in the combustion chamber to lubricate the engine parts, and is used up rapidly like fuel..
High pollution in exhaust (except for newer model DIRECT INJECTION Models). Higher RPM and more power at lower RPM's..
Not allowed on a few Lakes due to high pollution level (DVL, Skinner)

4 Stroke is similar to car type engine, Oil sump for lubrication, Fuel is not mixed in any way, oil is not used up by running engine, is changed at regular intervals (like a car engine)...
Much less Pollution, less power at lower RPM's. Very Quiet, Better MPG..
4 Stroke is more desired for above reasons and normally cost more also (supply/demand??)...

If you can power with a 4 stroke you will be much happier. Sometimes cost per Horsepower prohibits it.

No mixing oil and fuel all the time. Very quiet. better MPG.. almost no/or much less pollution..........

Mind you I'm no gear head, but I do know this from personal experience, and I feel you are biased a little toward 4 strokes:

- 2 strokes are simpler engines, and as a result, repairs and repair costs reflect this. 4 strokes are actually very complicated feats of engineering, and require far more maintenance. I know this from having to repower my boat (17ft deep V Tracker, now with a 60ho Johnsion 2 stroke) At the 60hp level and lower, I would stick to a 2 stroke unless you need to be on DVL (or similar lakes), especially if you are going into the ocean.

- The big downside for big HP 2 strokes is that they are not as fuel efficient, and if you are a big slow troller (e.g. targeting trout), you will find they tend to foul up much quicker.

- the fule injected 2 strokes should be given very serious consideration if you are powering 90hp or less. The big downside there is they ain't cheap!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents of personal ecperience on this.

ghetto dad
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
good lord im confused!!!! :D

CAPT'N
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh Yea right Ghetto, and I am supposed to belief that this is something new for you ! ?

:nutkick: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :finger: :banana: :banana:

Peace..................

MarkyMark
06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
good info, good points from all although there is something else to consider especially if you are gonna buy a small outboard .

..4 stroke engines are heavier as compared to 2 strokes

Headhunter
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Listen to Nessie.....he knows about strokes....... :lol:

POSTAL
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
2 stroke all the way ,Im going on 17 wrenching years exp.More power ,faster excelleration .way less weight ,way less maint ,cheaper overall,cheaper parts and to fix ,longer life,Newer 2 strokes allmost match emissions of 4 strk esp evinrude e tecs.The e tecs are used on allmost all law boats even on lake taho that is a 4 stroke lake only.If mixing oil is your determining factor thats just dumb ,2 stroke oil is cheap as heck go to wally mart and get gallons for a few bucks.I will send you a video on the comparrisons if you pm me your address and you will not believe what you see .2 stroke all the way in my book 8)The only thing going for 4 strokes is quietness and mpg but who wants that if performance is bad and you dont get the power or enjoyment out of your boat you should have esp with the smaller motors

muskyman
06-21-2007, 06:25 PM
If I were you ; I would get a two stroke direct injected. Just as clean running as a 4-stroke, same or better fuel economy and it weighs less. Like the dude in the previous post said, newer 2 strokes that are direct injected kick butt dude. I have a 90hp 2 stroke direct injected TLDI Tohatsu. And it plains runs like nothing I have ever seen. I use the crap outta my engine. I have owned it for 4 years now, and not one problem. I change the lower unit every year and put new spark plugs in her 2wice a year - I fish alot. I have trailered my boat all over the country and everyone says the same thing - " do you like that tohatsu " ? Cause no one has ever heard of them. I would never buy anything else. And my next engine will be a tohatsu too.

sansou
06-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I believe the Tohatsu engines are Nissan engines without the branding. They are meachanically the same thing, but are priced way cheaper.

johnsfishing
06-29-2007, 07:47 AM
ok so overall Im assuming a 2 stroke is better??

does dvl allow newer 2 strokes or is it just 4 strokes period? :?

Thanks,

johnsfishing

one_leg
06-29-2007, 12:22 PM
does dvl allow newer 2 strokes or is it just 4 strokes period? :?
johnsfishing

This is from the DVL website:

Boats with four-stroke or direct fuel injection two-stroke combustion engines are allowed, as are two-stroke engines that comply with the California Air Resources Control Board 2001 or later model year spark ignition marine engine standard (or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2006 equivalent). This rule will be strictly enforced and any questions regarding your engine compliance should be resolved prior to entrance into the park.

One_Leg

johnsfishing
06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
thanks One_Leg! 8)

johnsfishing

hook1fred
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM
for the gent stating 2 stokes have worse fuel efficiency please take a look at http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1122463 also the Verado 4 strokes have been dropped from a 3 star rating to a 2 star rating in california emissions standards which mean the optimax is the same as the 4 stroke verado and the opti pro xs is better on emissions. the speed and weight are hands down 2 stroke (lighter better acceleration) this is of course if you are in the market for a newer 2 stroke

johnsfishing
06-29-2007, 05:12 PM
how much do you guys think a 2 stroke, 50 HP, that is DVL approved cost?

johnsfishing

peterl
06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke list price is around $4,800. I would imagine the Honda is close.

The new 4-strokes get a premium price.

Pete

johnsfishing
06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Yamaha 50 HP 4-stroke list price is around $4,800. I would imagine the Honda is close.

The new 4-strokes get a premium price.

Pete

thanks peter

gnfshn
06-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I bought a 150HP 4 stoke cuz it came with it, and I was looking for resale value as well. Two strokes in Cali, their days are numbered.

hook1fred
07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I bought a 150HP 4 stoke cuz it came with it, and I was looking for resale value as well. Two strokes in Cali, their days are numbered.

gotta be the most ignorant quote i've ever read.....the newer 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than some of todays 4 stroke motors. example mercury verado has been dropped to 2 stars in the california air research board while the optimax pro xs maintains at 3 star standards

dude get your facts straight and educate yourself, don't rely on a sales person to feed you bull to sell you a boat.....he obviously had the boat in the lot and needed to unload it. take a look at the resale values of bass boats with 4 stroke and new 2 stroke direct injection and decide for yourself.....here read this post
http://www.randlmarine.com/true%20story.htm

greeper
07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
wow dave sounds like this hook1fred guy doesn't like you very much I think someone pissed in his cheerios this morning :roll:

hook1fred
07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
wow dave sounds like this hook1fred guy doesn't like you very much I think someone pissed in his cheerios this morning :roll:

LIKE has nothing to do with it i'm sure dave is a great guy and excellent fisherman, that being said. i don't feel it's right to mislead people looking for advise by posting incorrect information.

another good read
off the california department of boating waterways
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/TwoStroke/TSFAQ.asp
here one off of espn
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bass ... ll_truckin (http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?page=b_col_bt_1206_still_truckin)

sansou
07-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Excellent info and supporting documentation Hook1fred!

hook1fred
07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Excellent info and supporting documentation Hook1fred!

thanks sansou...i researched alot before purchasing my last 2 boats and recieved alot of incorrect advice, i feel i needed to clear the air and provide you with legit info

greeper
07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
[/quote]

LIKE has nothing to do with it i'm sure dave is a great guy and excellent fisherman, that being said. i don't feel it's right to mislead people looking for advise by posting incorrect information.

[/quote]
Ok there big guy, since you don't know Dave (and yes he is a great guy), you're comment, "gotta be the most ignorant quote i've ever read..."
wasn't too cool.. You probably could've been a little less harsh considering Dave wasn't trying to be a dick nor was he intentionally providing bad info..

hook1fred
07-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Two strokes in Cali, their days are numbered.

Sounds like straight forward wrong information to me.... they guy who started this thread was looking for advice on what engine to buy with his new boat. With a statement like this, it definately could make mislead him into looking for a different motor. Maybe if he wrote "I believe 2 strokes in cali, their days are numbered"......Ok i could live with that BUT he wrote it like he knew what he was talking about. Alright I said my peace and stated the facts

greeper
07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Dude move out of your mom's basement and get a life :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

hook1fred
07-02-2007, 08:55 PM

woah whats with the attitude did i hurt your feelings...you obviously have strong feelings towards dave, maybe you should should move out of the closet and tell him how you really feel. i would expect alittle more from a bruin but i guess thats why you couldn't get into a real school

one_leg
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
I have used lots of four strokes, and two strokes.
I like the quiteness of a four stroke, and the lightness and dependablility of the two strokes.

I ain't sure what you guys are uptight about, but surely you can agree that they can both get you to the fishin' hole on time.

One_Leg

greeper
07-02-2007, 10:55 PM

woah whats with the attitude did i hurt your feelings...you obviously have strong feelings towards dave, maybe you should should move out of the closet and tell him how you really feel. i would expect alittle more from a bruin but i guess thats why you couldn't get into a real school

Hookup,, you're too easy :lol:

play4therush
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I was told by anglers marine that you cant buy a new 2 stroke in cali anymore :shock:

muskyman
07-20-2007, 11:41 PM
That is false information. You can buy a two stroke direct injected. I know, cause I did it and it was and is waaay better than any 4-stroke in my opinion. I got a 90hp Tohatsu TLDI 2-stroke direct injected, with a 3 star rating for the CARB rating. Awesome fuel enconomy and it runs awesome. Reliable too. I run the heck outta my engine. From California to Utah to Ontario Canada and in Lake Michigan. Tohatsu / Nissan makes an awesome reliable engine.

brando123
07-21-2007, 01:12 AM
yea you can buy them my dad just got a new tracker with the 2 stoke opti max mercury direct fuel injected 115hp.. awesome engine

newster
07-21-2007, 03:24 AM
I own a 1990 Suzuki two stroke oil injection. Granted it is only 8 horsepower, but this thing neither guzzles gas nor does it guzzle oil. In fact, I fish with it on average once a week, with the motor running 3 hours each time. It took me a whole year to use up a gallon of 2 stroke oil I bought from Wal-Mart for ten bucks. Echoing what others have already stated, the newer two strokes are even more efficient and run even cleaner, so don't limit yourself when you are shopping for a motor. At the end of the day, you will buy what you think is best for you in your opinion, but it is always wise to form that opinion based upon facts.

Rick Grover
07-21-2007, 07:40 PM
You can buy a new Direct Injected 2 stroke outboard in Calif. In fact in some model Mercury's like the 75-115 they are actually more fuel effecient than the 4 stroke of the same horsepower. Both are 3 star rated. Here is what I recommend to all customers. Get a 4 stroke if
1-Offshore Saltwater is your application. Speed does not matter.
2-Pontoon boat, nice and quiet.
3- Small fishing boat under 60hp.
All other applications get a DI 2-stroke, faster, will get on plane faster with better holeshot, meets all CARB emmissions standards and in most applications gets BETTER fuel economy. All motors brought into the State after Jan. 1, 2008 must meet 3 star ratings. Thats just what the MFG'S can sell us a dealer, not what you can still buy and use. 2-3 star is more than Ok at all our lakes including DVL. What you cannot and havenot been able to bring into Calif. since 2001 is Carburated and EFI 1 star rated motors. Hope this clears things up. Rick G.