PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness Questions

boxl0bster
01-16-2009, 08:53 AM
hey guys i was wondering is it easier to get sea sick at night? Also is it possible that dramamine works better for someone versus bonine or vise versa? the reason im asking is because i want to get my girlfriend out on a 1/2 or 3/4 day, shes been out with me 3 times and the 1st time she was fine, but each time after she got a little sick until it was full on sea sickness the 3rd time. the first time out she took dramamine and the other two times i think was bonine. does an empty stomach or lack or sleep increase the chances of sea sickness??

thanks

Fisherman57
01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Ernie,

Ive posted this a couple times in the past, but I think it contains some good advice......

The best means of preventing seasickness is to take steps prior to even setting foot on a boat. Some well known over the counter medications for preventing seasickness include brand name drugs such as Dramamine, Bonine, Meclizine and Benadryl. Several stronger, more effective seasickness medications, including Promethazine and Ephedrine are also available by prescription only. Both the over-the-counter and prescription drugs generally work well for preventing seasickness, or for helping you recover more quickly once seasickness has begun. Many people are fearful of taking these medications, however, because of the possible negative side effects.

In most cases, however, the side effects (which typically include drowsiness and blurred vision) are nowhere near as unpleasant as seasickness itself. Medications such as those mentioned above also need to be taken at least a half hour ahead of time in order to do the job. Some users simply fail to allow enough time for these drugs to take effect, and consequently write them off as ineffective

There are also natural alternatives to seasickness drugs.

One of the best-known remedies is ginger.

According to MotherNature.com, a natural products/health advice Web site, several studies conducted have shown that taking two 500 milligram ginger capsules to be more effective in combating seasickness than the recommended dosage of Dramamine.

The German researchers that conducted these studies believe that ginger works via the digestive tract, instead of shutting down messages traveling to the brain (as most anti-nausea drugs function). Taking ginger capsules just prior to your planned boating or fishing trip, or at the first signs of nausea, should help prevent or lessen the severity of seasickness. If you don't have access to ginger capsules, try eating some ginger snap cookies or drinking ginger ale. These sources of ginger are not as strong or pure, but they should help a little.

Another popular option for preventing seasickness is what has become known as "the patch".

Worn behind the ear, such patches gradually release the drug Scopolamine into the body (over the course of three days). These patches are available only by prescription, and must be applied at least eight hours before exposure to work as intended.

Like seasickness pills, Scopolamine patches can produce various side effects, including dry mouth, blurry vision, drowsiness and dizziness.

Despite these possible drawbacks, the patch remains an effective option for seasick-proned boaters and anglers.

A drug-free option for preventing seasickness is available in the form of a "wristband" offered by various manufacturers.

This concept was invented by physician and surgeon Dr. Daniel Choy in 1980 during the Newport-Bermuda yacht race, when the seasickness pills he was carrying got wet and melted in his pocket. It was then that Dr. Choy found considerable relief from seasickness by pressing the Nei-kuan pressure point, located just above the crease of the wrist, towards the elbow, midway between the flexor tendons. Medical researchers hypothesize that there are precise neuroanatomical relationships between the Nei-kuan point and the hypothalamus, cerebellum and brain stem. Wristband type solutions for seasickness are available over-the-counter through most drug stores.

According to the manufacturers, these bands are incredibly safe and effective, and can be used by both children and adults, even expectant mothers, without any problems.

Of course, the best way to prevent seasickness is to take preventative action, but what happens if you find yourself becoming seasick anyway?

The best course to take is to recognize and react to any symptoms as early as possible. What are the early warning signs? Yawning, drowsiness, fatigue and lethargy are the pre-cursors to seasickness. Problem is, these signs can be hard to recognize, especially if you are already tired. Most people don't detect oncoming seasickness until there are more obvious signs, such as stomach discomfort (nausea) and slight sweating, excessive salivating or belching.

As you start to become seasick, you'll find that performing various tasks requiring mental concentration becomes more difficult.

Even simple assignments, such as threading line through the guides of a rod or tying on a hook become seemingly impossible.

Seasickness is obvious in its more advanced stages, when vomiting usually begins.

As mentioned, in order to avoid getting to this point, do something before these serious symptoms occur. Take anti-motion sickness medication. Avoid small, cramped spaces, get out in the fresh air, and take slow, deep breaths. Try going up on deck and looking at the horizon to eliminate visual conflict. Stay around midship or aft, where the pitching and rolling of the ship is less intense. Also be sure to avoid alcohol and smoking as this will only make your condition worse.

The worst thing you can do is to stay in a confined area (such as the galley) where there is typically smoke and various odors, and be sure not to eat any greasy or spicy food being served up.

You can try downing some soda crackers, but that's about it. Don't sit inside and try to read either, thinking the distraction will help. Trying to focus on the print while the boat moves is a sure way to bring on seasickness. While the tendency is to go off by yourself when seasick, don't let your embarrassment discourage you from seeking aid from others onboard, such as the skipper or crew members, that may be able to offer helpful suggestions and/or time-tested remedies.

If you do become seasick, remember to replace the nutrients lost from your system due to repeated vomiting. Even if you don't feel like eating, force yourself to consume small amounts of saltines, broth and fluids that include glucose and electrolytes.

Doing so will help alleviate continued bouts of nausea, strengthen your system, and move you along on the road to recovery.

Good luck out there!

boxl0bster
01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
thanks dana, i think its just a combination of things that have made her sick. if we resolve those problems before hand i think eveyrthing should work out. just have to get her to trust me and give it another try lol.

one_leg
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
In my opinion, time on the water is the best antidote.

Good Luck Ernie.

sullyfish
01-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Look up SCOPACE...Awesome stuff

Odium
01-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I seem to have bouts with sea sickness sometimes.

What has generally worked for me is:

Pre-Boarding the boat
30 Minutes before hopping on the boat, I take 1 dramamine
"empty" stomach, I dont eat a full breakfast usually i just snack on some trail mix or mixed nuts.
Drink just enough water to stay hydrated, but not enough water to have it sloshing around in my stomach.

I generally have no issues with seasickness if i do this unless the waves are pretty big or i have to really focus/concentrate on tying a knot or untangling lines

After like 3-4 hours of being on the boat, i pop a 2nd dramamine. At this point I can generally eat anything I want and down lots of water.

Tail Chaser
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Being tired and down in the galley looking out the windows can do a number on you.
When you see the horizon flying up/down. Your brain tries to compensate for the visual, Then tweaks you out. So being out at night. I would say there's less chance of getting sick.
If your out on some 10' rollers, Then feeling the boat floor drop out from under you.
Then your likely to get dizzy, and may get a chance to eat your last meal again :Shocked:

I had a girlfriend that got seasick very easy.
I gave her ginger and one of them acupressure wristbands.
We actually made it to Cat and back with no problems after that.

Whats nice about Ginger is that its an all natural herb.

PureAle
01-16-2009, 05:39 PM
since were talking about natural things check this web out.

www.naturalnews.com

PureAle

tmartin
01-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I have found that one bonine before bed ( the night before) , and one about one hour prior to boarding helps a bunch. I do this myself everytime, and the 2008 year wasn't sick one time. I was on the water about twenty times last year, I hope this helps.

Sue
01-17-2009, 12:27 AM
As a hardcore, dyed in the wool emetophobe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emetophobia)....all of the above advice is correct.

However, the above meds are also anti-histamine based only. If your girlfriend really doesn't want to get sick, ask the doc to prescribe an anti-emetic such as Raglan (metachlopromide). It can be taken with the dramamine/bonine.
Another thing I've found is that eating ginger biscuits, or something peppermint based helps A LOT (albeit this is taken on top fo the prescrip meds and over the counter pills).

My two cents only and is not to be taken as medical advice, just someone in very experienced in the art of not puking in 15 years :Smile:

olfishergal
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I use drammamine about 1/2 hour before boat time make sure I eat a protein meal before hand. Keep hydrated, outside, and take another in 3-4 hours. I like the ginger tea. Of course what works for one won't work for another. Only got real sick once last year but found out someone had spiked my drinks with some interesting drugs while I was on vacation. Oh, and stay out of the way of the diesel exhuast.......Scop patches are great but they do give you real dry mouth. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another person. I personally like using the sea bands (accupressure) like I said, gotta try and find what works best for you.

sesgia
01-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Look up SCOPACE...Awesome stuff

scopace is very good the only problem i have is dry mouth with that and because of it i have to drink a lot of water or eat need to keep my mouth from drying up and as for the other same but not as bad i just feel sleepy.
and i notice for my self if i don't get enough sleep i'll be chumming for the boat :ROFL:

tpfishnfool
01-17-2009, 08:12 AM
My Tactic is to do some carb loading before I get on board.. Usually load up on some wings, a burrito or three and then chase that with a few shots of quervo gold.
The results always gets me the spot I want on the rail ...........LOL

Tail Chaser
01-17-2009, 08:16 AM
since were talking about natural things check this web out.

www.naturalnews.com

PureAle
That really sucks.
Amazing how evil the FDA is.

JP
01-17-2009, 06:48 PM
The absolute best thing I've found is to take whatever preventative meds you want 8 hours before getting on the water. This give the meds time to get in your system and working. The worst thing is to take the meds right before boarding.

That Dang Guy
01-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Some people react differently to medicines and even the timing. I normally take dramamine after i get on the boat. If it's a one day or overnight, I don't need anymore. Usually one two days, i take a second one before bed and i'm done for the trip.

This year i'm going to really try to ween myself off of the seasickness medicines. My brother went cold turkey off the stuff and had small issues at the start, but doesn't require it anymore.

mg2969
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Diet wise I find
Eating Oatmeal , dry toast or dry bagel

Limit the amount of liquid you drink
Stay away from coffee as well as foods high fat and grease

boxl0bster
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
awesome info, thanks for all your help guys. i too think if you take it a few hours ahead of the trip it helps the med dissolve completely into your system decreasing the chances of it not working. i've heard of scopace from i think ronnie kovach lol so i did some quick research on scopace and i was wondering do i need a prescription for that? how does one go about purchasing it? it doesnt seem like some crazy med but at the same time its not over the counter??

marc626
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
The absolute best thing I've found is to take whatever preventative meds you want 8 hours before getting on the water. This give the meds time to get in your system and working. The worst thing is to take the meds right before boarding.

Got this advice MANY years ago! Boat leaves at 6am. Take the meds the night before between 6pm-8pm. Sleep it off then take another 1hr. before departure. Thats it. I don't get sea sick but it usually works for anyone that fishes w/ me. Oh and Scopace works!!