PDA

View Full Version : Parkway Lake 1-15-09

Kimochou
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Finally got the wife to go fishing with me for the first time since we moved back from Hawaii. It took me showing her a bunch of the Irvine Lake posts, but I got her excited about trout fishing again. (We fished Irvine or Big Bear every week for two trout seasons back in 1997-1998. She was in WON and OC Register for the biggest trout of the week once - almost 8lbs. That was big back then.) Since Parkway was close and the only pay lake in the area where I knew we would have have the best chance to catch something (and keep her enthusiastic about going again), it was an easy decision.

We got a late start and did not arrive until after 8am. On first glance it looked like a combination of Irvine Lake and SARL. Like SARL in size as well as freeway traffic noise with a couple of rock quarry type shorelines, but a nice penninsula in the middle and other more natural Irvine looking shores.

We were advised by the concessionaire (very friendly) that both the freeway facing side of the penninsula or the back cove were good spots and chose the penninsula. We chose a spot about 2/3 of the way down and baited up. I used corn pb with natural scent Nitro attractant and she used her old favorite, chartreuse glitter pb with no attractant. Started her off with a 30" leader and me with about 18". Two pound Maxima ultragreen and #18 trebels. This is what worked for us 11 years ago (except no corn pb back then and no attractant either) and had to start with what used to work right? Got no bites for about 3 hours which was the same for everybody on that shoreline. Progressively shortened leaders until both were down to 10" for nothing. One person on the opposite shore caught one fish. At least it was a beautiful morning.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr350/kimochou/IMG_0187.jpg

Made the move to the back cove about in the middle of the penninsula facing away from the freeway. With all the trees in the middle, no more freeway noise. We met a very nice regular named Larry who had caught three fish up to about 2lbs. We also saw these pelicans which we assumed was a good sign that there were trout around - unless they already feasted on them!?
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr350/kimochou/IMG_0192.jpg

Based on Larry's advice, we switched over to a inflated nightcrawler/power egg combo. (He had caught his on nc/white power egg). Retied with about 15" leaders and a #6 baitholder and used a orange/yellow power egg. 15 Minutes later, I see the wife's pole dancing, ran over and set the hook. She had just sat down and didn't notice the bite, but after getting admonished by Larry, I handed the rod to her. We had noticed earlier that Larry's fish had nicely formed tails with only a small clipping so we were expecting decent fighting fish and that is exactly what she got. The fish made several screaming runs and even jumped twice but after about 3 minutes, she landed her first trout in ten years!
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr350/kimochou/IMG_0189.jpg

We ended up with two more smaller grade trout, missed a couple of bites and lost two at the net that were in the 2 pound range. It seems we are a bit rusty. Once again, I got outcatched (I'll never admit to outfished) by the wife. My excuse like always is that this is my strategy to keep her excited about going again but I'm not sure anyone believes it anymore. In any case, we had a great time, enjoyed the warm weather and caught fish.

If anyone wants to join us on a Thursday at Parkway, send me a PM and let's meet up. We are open to other bay area lakes also.

troutslayer05
01-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Thats a good lookin rainbow! Look at the jaw on that thing sweeeet. I pass by that lake all the time going to and from Cen Cal. Always wondered what that lake was about nice to see a report. Ill have to go there now that im up this way now. How much are the fees to fish? Nice catch....

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Nice trout too. Congrats to you both on getting what you want.

It looks real nice there. Drowning a worm in that hole looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Better looking than SARL though....imho

Kimochou
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks troutslayer! The fee is $15. They have a one rod per permit rule that no one but the wife and I were following. Be aware that there is no fish cleaning station and it is in fact not allowed at the lake. You will see people fishing next to their vehicles parked on the penninula but parking on the penninsula is restricted for those with a handicapped parking permit only. Which is fair enough if you ask me. The walk end to end on the penninsula is no more than a couple hundred yards. Look for me if you are thinking of going on a Thursday.

Kimochou
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
I read one legs comment about how Parkway looks better than SARL which it does. Then looked at my original post and noticed that the first picture is NOT PARKWAY LAKE! OOPS!!
To top it off, it was late evening not morning in that picture! Yikes! I posted a picture from the day before by mistake.

Now I'm forced to post an additional report about another bay area lake. So I fished the Los Gatos Creek County Park better known as the Campbell Percolation Ponds on 1-14-09. It was more of a equipment test session as I had to buy all new trout gear after moving back. In 1998 when we last trout fished, all our ultralight poles were 4'6" or 5 footers. Not ideal for tossing lures/minijigs which I like to do. The only 7 ft long 1-6lb rated poles I remember seeing back then were custom wrapped with G Loomis fly rod blanks and very pricey. Anyways, I bought a 6' and 7' so wanted to test out the rod action, figure the ideal sinker weight for each pole, make sure reels smooth etc. to ensure that my wife would have a fun day of fishing the next day.
I did not see anyone catch anything including a few regulars who mumbled about how slow the fishing was. I tossed a green rooster tail, gold/red thomas bouyant, blue/chrome castmaster, and drop shotted a chartreuse power worm for over an hour for nothing. Soaked pb for 1/2 hour for nothing. The weather was nice and all the gear felt/worked great - ready for the next day at Parkway.

troutdog
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice to see another report from up North, thanks for the info and photos regardless of the mix up. Does parkway still stock browns? I was there years ago and this guy was killing the bigger model bowa fish with a kastmaster, I netted his kicker fish a beautiful 6lb brown!

I will always remember fishing this lake with some high school friends. I gotta #18 treble embedded in my finger early in the morning, but it was so cold I just ripped it out with pliers and I didn't even feel it :Shocked:

Good times...

TD

Kimochou
01-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Not sure about the Browns troutdog, but will find out next time I go and include the information in the report. The concessionaire did mention that red/gold kastmasters were effective. Funny thing about your treble hook story, I think all fisherman have experienced something similar. Mine was also in high school on a twighlight cattle boat fishing barracuda on the iron, snagged in the palm by the the guy next to me at the rail. He hooked me so hard that the barb went through completely, was exposed and was easy to clip off.