PDA

View Full Version : Cricket question

fishmounter
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
When you use live crickets for Bluegill, when they drown and die, are they still useable. I mean will dead crickets catch fish? And don't they die pretty fast anyway? Do the fish really care if they are dead or alive?

calico killer kevin
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Alive is best, but fresh dead is okay too.

smokinflies
01-15-2009, 07:02 PM
When you use live crickets for Bluegill, when they drown and die, are they still useable. I mean will dead crickets catch fish? And don't they die pretty fast anyway? Do the fish really care if they are dead or alive?

I have another question to add, since we're on the subject of crickets.

Do crickets float or sink?

carpinator
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I grew up using crickets for bait, if your at a secluded lake or pond thats glass on the surface, you can float crickets on the surface, the movement and ripples they create are great for drawing strikes on bluegill and trout. Eventually they all get water logged and sink. Suspended fish come into play with a submerged cricket, they do die quick but if the fish are biting they will nail a fresh cricket, i think the key is freshness and the fact that the crickets are plum and soft. Put some fish atractent on wet sponge cubes and feed it to the crickets 1-2 days before you fish. Good luck!!

LARiver
01-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I am not a cricket expert but I remember that as they ran low on food ( like a piece of banana ) they would seemingly randomly cannibalize each other. After a night or two I'd notice the numbers declining in my container and a loose cricket leg or antennae would remain. They are very aggressive towards each other. Use them fast and keep them happy!

one_leg
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
If you collar hook the crickets behind the head with a very small thin wire hook they will float upside down which allows them to remain alive because they breath from spiracles located on the bottom edges of their abdomens. After a few casts their body oils will begin to leak out and that will break the surface tension and they will then sink and quickly drown. They will still catch fish but not as well as when they are still squirming.

BTW: Criskets at the Vine? Not Cool Bro!!!

karlow
01-16-2009, 09:30 PM
All I remember is trout do not seem to like them if the do not have heads.

chivo
01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
best tip about fishing live bait in ANY situation is: Presentation. Keep bait fresh and looking its best. Fresh bait is always best.I know the cricket will die in 2 seconds when hooked, but the fish aren't going to hit crusty old cricket.

HuskerRod
01-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Mounter,

I've always struggled keeping Crickets on the hook, but their have been times especially at Perris where the gills would only hit a cricket. I remember back in the old east end when it was full they would spawn back their in May and crickets were king. Man, I could sight fish the gills and catch them pretty good.

jim532
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I haven't targeted bluegill since I was a kid but I remember they would hit on just about anything you threw at them. When I was in cub scouts at santa fe dam I hooked a chunk of gummy bear and land me some gills.