PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing combo

jim532
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Would like to setup with a rod and real for some surf fishing. Any suggestions what type of rod/reel I might want to get

bsp
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
It depends on what you want to target. Most people start on perch and then move up to halibut, but you could try for halibut right off the bat. If you want halibut, get a Phenix X-10 crankbait, aka a Phenix 7' Med-Hvy Crankbait rod, and pair it up with a low profile bass reel with a 5.0:1 gear ratio or a 200 size baitcaster. I prefer shimano baitcasters, but Daiwa's new Pluton looks sick too. Spool it up with 10lb copolymer or flourocarbon, buy a Lucky craft Flash Minnow 110, and you are good to go!

dockboy
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Depends on what u want to do dude. The combo bsp recommended is of excellent quality. If you have never surf fished before and dont fish much in general, however, Id recommend something more basic. Buy yourself a nice 6'6"-7' spinning rod, with medium flex, and rated for something along the lines of 6-12 mono line. Luckily, if you dont have a lot of money to get setup, you can buy a very decent setup like this for about $60-80. I personally use a 8 1/2' steelhead rod for my perch fishing in the surf. Some brands Id look at would be Shimano, Daiwa, St Croix, Berkley, and Bass Pro Shops. All make great quality rods for a good price. If you want to go higher end, there are a plethora of excellent companies.
For a reel, if you havent used a baitcaster before, Id go with a Shimano or Daiwa brand spinning reel, in the 2500 size. Both brands make excellent reels with smooth drags. The 25000 series has a large spool with a relatively light weight and large line capacity, a bonus when you start go into halibut and other larger quarry. As a bonus, provided you wash it down after each and maitenance your gear regularly, a spinning setup like this can also pull multiple duty as a general purpose freshwater rod throughout California. Also if you dont fish a lot but would like to really get into it, this setup would serve adequately in freshwater and light saltwater situations for a while before you have to upgrade. That being said, 6-8lb test is the most versatile line range, with the ability to fish just about anywhere except the open ocean.
For baits, it varies on what you want to target. Perch are fun, not incredibly picky eaters. Halibut are more prone to eat baitfish, so they are quite a bit more difficult to target. For perch, smalls grubs like the Big Hammer Perch grubs, and Kalins grubs in 2-3" sizes are great. Berkley Gulp baits like their 2-6" sandworms will catch all types of fish. Indeed, the 2 and 4" versions are often called "perch crack". :Smile:
Other baits are also good. Basstrix tube soft plastics are great for both perch and halis. So are the standard 4.5" Roboworms. Also, swimbaits like the Big Hammers and Fish Trap brands in the 3-4" size account for many large perch and halis each year. As mentioned, hard baits that imitate smelt and other common surf baitfish, such as the Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110 and Pointer 100, are excellent baits for halibut and perch. However, hard baits take some practice and arent exactly cheap. Id recommend, if you have never surf fished, to learn with the grubs and Gulp baits on the perch, then work ur way up the curve. If you start fishing at the present, you could quite possibly be up to speed enough to start targeting halibut when they really start to come into the California surf in good numbers around spring time. And dont discount the winter months. Some of the largest perch of the year are caught between December and March. This week I landed one close to 3 1/2lbs. They're here :Wink:

bsp
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
What dockboy says is true (and is excellent advice!), however, I have to disagree with the steelhead rod recommendation. The reason I do not like them is that they are not versatile at all. They are only good for perch, and even then are not ideal. They can cast far, but you never need the extra distance. Plus, they are not versatile.

On the other hand, if you get a 7'6" spinning rod (Phenix dropshot 7'6" Medium) with a 2500 size spinning reel, you can fish for perch, halibut, and bass! Spool it up with 6lb or 8lb (both if you get a spare spool) and you can fish carolina rigs for perch, dropshot dropshot minnows for halibut and bass. Go for a fast action rod though. You want to be able to get a hard hookset as soon as you feel a bite. Medium action is better for hardbaits, but it will irritate you when fishing grubs. Basstrix Flashtrix are good lures that come in sizes suitable for halibut (4in) and perch (2.5in). Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos will carry them. Big perch will hit the larger lures too, so try them when you feel like upgrading your catch size. Krockadile spoons in the 5/8oz size are nice too.

If you choose to go for baitcasting, get a Shimano Cardiff 200 reel. I really like mine, and it is very durable while maintaining adequate casting distance. If you can get quality gear from the get go, it will make your introduction to surf fishing a lot better. Cheap gear generally gets destroyed by the corrosive environment in a few outings, so you may save money in the long run by buying quality gear right off the bat. A Shimano Sedona 2500 would be a good spinning reel.

jim532
01-15-2009, 10:09 PM
thanks for the replys, I'm definitly look for some versatility, throwing LC minnows was exactly what I had in mind or tossing something on a jig head. I like the I idea of a bass reel as well, maybe a Citica? I like baitcasting reels because when matched up with the right rod I can toss good distance when I need to.
I actually have a sedona 2500 that never been wet.

calico killer kevin
01-15-2009, 11:43 PM
thanks for the replys, I'm definitly look for some versatility, throwing LC minnows was exactly what I had in mind or tossing something on a jig head. I like the I idea of a bass reel as well, maybe a Citica? I like baitcasting reels because when matched up with the right rod I can toss good distance when I need to.
I actually have a sedona 2500 that never been wet.

Good choice. The Citica will be great.

jim532
01-16-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Citica, I just need to match it up with a pole that will be be ideal for both perch or the occasional Hali, I'd even like to hit a few spots where we caught Corbina many years ago. Unfortunatly I can't really afford the over $100 rods, but I do need something that will get me good distance when throwing cranks like the LC minnow, or tossing plastics or gulp on a jighead.

jim532
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking the Daiwa Tierra Cast Rod 7' Med Hvy action might pair up good with the Citica, what you guys think?

bsp
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
It is very unlikely that you would catch a corbina on that rig (4lb spinning rods are what you use for corbina), but those specs look good. I would not get the tierra though because Shimano is about to come out with a brand new line of rods in that price range. There is also, according to Tackletour, one that is designed for cranking. My advice is to wait for the Voltaeus line to come out, and then get the cranking model. Just go to http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanovoltaeus.html if you want to read a bit more about them. The Citica is a good choice.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Im impressed with the cariff 200 and 300 i started using last year. For the price($99.00) they are smooth, and cast a mile. This leaves the option of spending ,the money you saved, on a nicer rod. I like a 7'6" to a 8.5 foot casting rod. With 8lb to 12lb. Rated fast. My 7'6" (rouge)with the cardiff 200 is my drop shot, and lite plastics. The 8'5" is for throwing my crocs,lcs ,and carolina rigging with my cardiff 300. Both spooled with 20lb rated 8lb dia. Crystal fire line .i get a ton of extra line capcity ,and feel every tap, that stuff cuts thru the kelp like a knife.in case i get lucky, and hook something big, i know i wont get spooled. Of course i use 8lb to 12lb floro leader. Good luck on your search,and peace out,,, mike the pmb....