PDA

View Full Version : Boat rental 1-14

hoghuntr
01-14-2009, 09:51 PM
My buddy and I rented a boat today and here is the short report. The sun was already coming up by the time they let us out. We threw the TT and Lunker Plunker for the first hour with no wind and no love. Fished the ice jig and Senko the rest of the day in 45 to 65 feet.

Final score was 3 LM on the Senko. 9 LM on the Ice Jig. Biggest was 3.5 on the Senko. the rest were 2-3 pound clones. No wind at all. Not a great day for fishing but is was a nice day for a suntan. Just thankful to be on the water.

Hoghuntr

ddoskocil
01-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Not bad at all for winter. I've heard the deep bite is about the only wat to get em right now. Were you metering fish and bait, or just working points? It's been 2 weeks since I've been there. Is the water still dropping? Hope to get out there soon again. Thanks for the report.

backseater
01-15-2009, 07:50 AM
OH YA baby (is was) a great day! Are you sure Art Barry didn't help you just a little??? OH YA and mister senko, with the way it just lays there, very still, with the butt juice washing off in the water. Nice day where's the pic's?:ROFL:

rrawstron
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Senko in 45 to 65 feet of water? What was your method of rigging to get it that deep?

lurk 182
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
unless its windy, all you need is patience to fish a senko that deep. i can hardly wait long enough when i'm fishing them in 25' though.

FishingFanatic
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I ussually fish football jigs in 60 this time at DVL and come up with at least 4. I tried rapala ice jigs on 6lb test a few times but they just broke off my line while I was jigging them. How do you jig these things? Thanks for any info!!!

lurk 182
01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
i'd go with a little heavier line, and i'm no expert by the way, but those baits tend to have a spiraling motion as they fall and that's when you'll get bit usually. try to make sure they are falling through or near the bait (at the right depth) and try not to have any more slack than you need to let it fall w/o letting the line get so tight that it affects the rate of fall. if you don't get bit, i'd try to reel maybe halfway back up and let it fall through again.

snag
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
i'd go with a little heavier line, and i'm no expert by the way, but those baits tend to have a spiraling motion as they fall and that's when you'll get bit usually. try to make sure they are falling through or near the bait (at the right depth) and try not to have any more slack than you need to let it fall w/o letting the line get so tight that it affects the rate of fall. if you don't get bit, i'd try to reel maybe halfway back up and let it fall through again.

Just curious...We fish the sand bass with the same method on "Cody" jig heads.
They tend to spiral through the water column too. Wonder if anyone has tried them on LMB with any success.

Tight lines all

hoghuntr
01-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Not bad at all for winter. I've heard the deep bite is about the only wat to get em right now. Were you metering fish and bait, or just working points? It's been 2 weeks since I've been there. Is the water still dropping? Hope to get out there soon again. Thanks for the report.

The fish are deep, at least they were on the 14th. Concentrated on Points interior and exterior as the fish finders in the DELUXE rental boats are a little differtent then the ones on my Ranger:(

Water level has dropped about 2-5 feet in the past three weeks it appears. At least it looked that much.

hoghuntr
01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Truth be told Backseater, I did learn a few things from Mr. Berry. All I can say is, it was the best money I every spent when it comes to fishing. The amount of money I have spent (wasted) over the years on baits I don't even use anymore, would have paid for 5 private Art Berry Trips. This guy will show you the little things that make a big differnce. Save your money on the new baits, take a trip with Art and he will show you how to properly fish the Jig and show you how to get a Senko down 40 - 60 feet and a whole lot more. I don't work for Art and I really don't know him that well. All I know is once I was blind but now I can see.
or at least my glasses are not so fogged up:)

Hoghuntr

backseater
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Ya I read the reports, just wonder how much is true? I heard he striaghtened the hooks on a plunker one day, but lost the line side. I see how one trip with Art could help you more then all the banjo minnows one could buy. Does he get you dialed in with the proper gear for each season? Or is it just general stuff that most of us blog about? Is Art better than Pete? or Art Hill? Have you had a trip with them?

MAVERICK27
01-16-2009, 12:41 PM
The beauty of Art is that you will learn whatever you want. He asks you what you want to learn and answer any and all questions you can come up with. In fact, he challenged me prior to the trip to write down things I wanted to know or learn. That is usually evidence of humbleness when an instructor would taylor his instruction for you. I learned a ton on our trip with him.

If you are or think you are a bass fisherman...go with him and you will see that there will ALWAYS be much to learn and perfect in this sport!!! I guess thats what makes us sport fishermen and him the proffessional.

richaaron
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Senko in 45 to 65 feet of water? What was your method of rigging to get it that deep?

Don't be afraid to Carolina Rig that bad boy...

snag
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
The beauty of Art is that you will learn whatever you want. He asks you what you want to learn and answer any and all questions you can come up with. In fact, he challenged me prior to the trip to write down things I wanted to know or learn. That is usually evidence of humbleness when an instructor would taylor his instruction for you. I learned a ton on our trip with him.

If you are or think you are a bass fisherman...go with him and you will see that there will ALWAYS be much to learn and perfect in this sport!!! I guess thats what makes us sport fishermen and him the proffessional.

My exact thought!

Mav nailed it right on the head.

Get a couple of your buds together and give Art a call. I'm sure you will say the same as Mavrick once you have taken the trip. It's definitely money well spent my friend.

I'm up for another outing and will go thirds, quarter, or even halfers with you.

Mav?

Tight lines all

snag
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Ya I read the reports, just wonder how much is true? I heard he striaghtened the hooks on a plunker one day, but lost the line side. I see how one trip with Art could help you more then all the banjo minnows one could buy. Does he get you dialed in with the proper gear for each season? Or is it just general stuff that most of us blog about? Is Art better than Pete? or Art Hill? Have you had a trip with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICK27

My exact thought!

Mav nailed it right on the head.

Get a couple of your buds together and give Art a call. I'm sure you will say the same as Mavrick once you have taken the trip. It's definitely money well spent my friend.

I'm up for another outing and will go thirds, quarter, or even halfers with you.

Mav?

Tight lines all

snag
01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
My buddy and I rented a boat today and here is the short report. The sun was already coming up by the time they let us out. We threw the TT and Lunker Plunker for the first hour with no wind and no love. Fished the ice jig and Senko the rest of the day in 45 to 65 feet.

Final score was 3 LM on the Senko. 9 LM on the Ice Jig. Biggest was 3.5 on the Senko. the rest were 2-3 pound clones. No wind at all. Not a great day for fishing but is was a nice day for a suntan. Just thankful to be on the water.

Hoghuntr

Well done Hog Hunter!

dodoman
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
6in hudds.