PDA

View Full Version : Greer Park, Huntington Beach 1/12/09

glumace
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
I have at a local little park near Golden West College where I work called Greer Park. I found a lot of info about Huntington Beach Central park on the internet and how to fish it, but nothing on Greer. So I geared up my stuff last night (I have gotten all my stuff down into a smaller set up, another post for another time) and planned to go out today. We have been having Santa Ana’s and high temps so the weather was going to be a factor. My friend Deepak stopped by right before I was ready to leave work for my lunch and tagged along. So we picked up lunch and drove over to Greer.

http://www.stockteam.com/grprk2.jpg

Photos from http://www.stockteam.com/greer_park.html

Sorry did not bring my camera.

http://www.surfcity-hb.org/Residents/Parks_Facilities/parks/index.cfm

Greer Park is located on the corner of Goldenwest Street and McFadden in Huntington Beach. It’s split in half, on the north side its a regular little park with kids stuff and a softball field, on the south side of McFadden is the lake. Not only is this place very close to work, it is stocked by the CA DFG about every two weeks. I checked the DFG site for stocking in Region 5 and it was stocked before the new year and has a planned stock for the week of 1/11. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/SouthCoast.asp

Rolled up and because of the wind and sun we fished the east side of the lake, with the wind to our backs. I used a basic set up of 4# test with a small egg sinker and #16 trebble. I brought some red trout powerbait with glitter and casted out. There are 3 pumps on the lake that filter the water from what I can see. I casted out about 30′ and let her soak while we ate lunch. One thing I noticed was that there is a drain on the northeast side of the lake that allows for street and drainage run off into the lake. I have also seen this lake overflowing its banks (which are cinderblocks) when it rains. The water was murky, and had that park look to it, black muck kicked up by the ducks. Would I keep anything out of the lake, nope probably not but its close to work and I can get almost a full hour in fishing on my lunch. No hits or anything, so we packed it up and called it a day. We did drive down to Central Park Lake in HB and take a look. We may try it another time, as well as Carr Park in Huntington Beach, they are both on the stocking list.

So to sum up my short trip, nothing really but a scouting trip. Will I go back, sure why not? It’s easy to get to. A bad day fishing beats a good day at work ;)

Ifishtoolittle
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Well Fishing is definitely better than working. Cool report man, thanks for sharing.

Fish Dog
01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
DFG stocks it but I'm not sure they are currently stocking it due to the State's budget mess and, also, that trout stocking suit thing.

HBJapo
01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
DFG stocks it but I'm not sure they are currently stocking it due to the State's budget mess and, also, that trout stocking suit thing.

I believe that they may have stocked it earlier in the week, the pelicans were there the other day. I drive by there almost every day.

Japo :Envious:

HBJapo
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
We did drive down to Central Park Lake in HB and take a look. We may try it another time, as well as Carr Park in Huntington Beach, they are both on the stocking list.

So to sum up my short trip, nothing really but a scouting trip. Will I go back, sure why not? It’s easy to get to. A bad day fishing beats a good day at work ;)

glumace,

You will find HB Central much more productive if you take the time to get to know it.

chivo
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
nice info for a first report, and welcome. HB is my hood till i die, and there are some pretty good parks to fish at. Central had some decent fish every once and a while, but i'm not sure what's up with the park now scince it lost so much water. the other parks i've never had any real good luck at. just barley catchable fish. Thanks for the report.

HBJapo
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
nice info for a first report, and welcome. HB is my hood till i die, and there are some pretty good parks to fish at. Central had some decent fish every once and a while, but i'm not sure what's up with the park now scince it lost so much water. the other parks i've never had any real good luck at. just barley catchable fish. Thanks for the report.

The water level was better the last time I was out there, still need more rain though. Give it a few weeks and it should pick up.

Liteliner
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I believe that they may have stocked it earlier in the week, the pelicans were there the other day. I drive by there almost every day.

I witnessed those four pelicans destroy a whole catfish plant last summer and I have not been back since. Me nor the 20 other anglers got a single fish and the pelicans were just pluckin away at them. I swear each one had to of eaten atleast six or seven a piece while i was there. They had a crazy system goin. The four of them would all swim next to each other and take turns sticking their heads in the water and probe the bottom of the lake. What year did you start seeing the pelicans there?

glumace
01-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I was able to talk to some DFG volunteer wardens last week in HB and while they would not say which day the stock happens, they did confirm are stocking Greer and Carr on the list. Did not see any pelicans in the area, we do have red hawks living on the campus across the street. Just a boatload of ducks and seagulls. The water level at HB central looked better than I have seen it in the past.

HBJapo
01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I witnessed those four pelicans destroy a whole catfish plant last summer and I have not been back since. Me nor the 20 other anglers got a single fish and the pelicans were just pluckin away at them. I swear each one had to of eaten atleast six or seven a piece while i was there. They had a crazy system goin. The four of them would all swim next to each other and take turns sticking their heads in the water and probe the bottom of the lake. What year did you start seeing the pelicans there?

Liteliner,

I've been fishing Central very consistently for about a year and a half and the pelicans and cormorants are always there after a stocking, though I have not seen nearly the number of cormorants as in the past. You're not kidding, they can definitely eat their share. I'll be checking them out this weekend....

I was able to talk to some DFG volunteer wardens last week in HB and while they would not say which day the stock happens, they did confirm are stocking Greer and Carr on the list. Did not see any pelicans in the area, we do have red hawks living on the campus across the street. Just a boatload of ducks and seagulls. The water level at HB central looked better than I have seen it in the past.

glumace,

Plants are generally on Thursday, that's why the pelican sighting threw me off. They may be varying the day now.... I don't really know.