PDA

View Full Version : Owens Gorge - Need Help

netdawg
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Folks,

Thanks for the info on the South Lake thread I posted. I wanted to make sure there wasnt any mistakes made in fishing waters we shouldn't.

Along those same lines I'd like to ask about the Gorge and any do's & don'ts I should be aware of. We've always fished PVR, Bridges, and off Line but never actually made it to the Gorge. I know its open all season, but where is the least evasive spot to park, get to the water, and of course what regs apply here? I've seen the posts around the fly fishing, but is bait and other artificials allowed here?

I'd like to not bombard a pristine spot, rather get there and enjoy it with little impact (except maybe a keeper or two, ;) )

troutslayer05
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I was there a couple years ago and most of the fish that we caught were on ants..and a few other dry flys. I dont think they stock the fish in the gorge so C&R.. THe fish especially the browns are super finicky and u kinda gotta sneak up on um. Good luck..

Joshua
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Many people refer to the the Gorge as the section of the Owens between the Power plant and PVR.
The actual gorge is the section between the Power Plant and Crowley lake. You can access this from Gorge Road off HWY 395 before Sherman Pass. Once you turn off 395, about 1/2 mile to road will T. If you go right it will take you to the power plant. You can park there and work your way upriver
Or you can Turn left at the T and head upriver. You have to park at the top and walk down. I have never done this. There is an access road, but it is steep.
You can also access the Upper Gorge, There is a turnoff near Toms Place, on the East side of 395. You can follow the road to the dam (Crowley) Below the spillway is the beginning of the Gorge.
DOnt know all the reg, If you throw bait use a single barbless hook.
It is best to check the regs for yourself. I dont know of any special regs for this area, but DONT TRUST ME> YOu should look it up yourself.

sierraslam
01-16-2009, 07:16 AM
I hiked the Gorge a few weeks back from the power plant at PVR, and it was a tough walk. Found some accessible water but it's mostly over grown with cat tails and brush. I saw some fish but over all it seemed like a tough place to fish. I'd suggest waders but once you step in the water the big browns are gone anyway. PVR has easy access and lots of fish. I'd hit the Lower Owens if you want to fish moving water. good fishin!

tpfishnfool
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
The gorge is tough in the winter but it has alot of small browns. Summer is better fishing but way many snakes...

netdawg
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
We've hit PVR from the top and the bottom both, but the true Gorge is what we're targeting. I believe the waters south of Crawley are open year round, but I'll find the reg and post it here as soon as I do.

The crew I go with really loves the area and some of us are itching to get into some of the wild trout in the area to shake up the trip a bit. We don't fly fish but we do use artificials and baits (natural and man-made) on traditional tackle.

Anyone have any pics from that area? I'm trying to get a feel for how deep the walk is at some points down to the water. We're not against walkin the area as we tend to park and spread out pretty significantly when we fish south of PVR anyways, but if its mountain climbing vs just walking over some rocks here and there we might not be that interested...

Good stuff gang! As always the experience and camaraderie on these boards is extremely impressive.

tpfishnfool
01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
The gorge is a tough walk but worth it if thats what you are into. Not alot of big fish but some nice native browns. Good luck and let us all know how you do .

Mike274
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I was inquiring about the regulations for areas listed as artificials during this past season and was told the following:
You cannot use Berkley Power Trout worms, Trout Teasers, any other scented plastic or lure or any added scent i.e. garlic, salmon egg etc. This is considered live bait as far as the regs go. FYI

Joshua
01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
We've hit PVR from the top and the bottom both, but the true Gorge is what we're targeting. I believe the waters south of Crawley are open year round, but I'll find the reg and post it here as soon as I do.

The crew I go with really loves the area and some of us are itching to get into some of the wild trout in the area to shake up the trip a bit. We don't fly fish but we do use artificials and baits (natural and man-made) on traditional tackle.

Anyone have any pics from that area? I'm trying to get a feel for how deep the walk is at some points down to the water. We're not against walkin the area as we tend to park and spread out pretty significantly when we fish south of PVR anyways, but if its mountain climbing vs just walking over some rocks here and there we might not be that interested...

Good stuff gang! As always the experience and camaraderie on these boards is extremely impressive.
it is steep, If you walk to the edge and look down, you cant see the water. YOu can hear it, you cant see, The river has cut its way deep into the canyon.. May be more accessible if you enter if from below Crowley, I was there this Sat and took a friend. He agreed that he would never make the trip down there
You may want to park at the power plant and walk up. You can get into wild fish from this section. Talked to guy that was throwing fly. He said he walked in 1/4 mile and got a few small browns. I am pretty sure that most of the fish in that area are smallish. Still a trophy in my book