PDA

View Full Version : swimbait setup return help.

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
hey i might return just the reel but maybe the rod to because its a 9 footer. but i dont know which rod and reel to get =[ any suggestions?

sesgia
01-13-2009, 09:17 PM
what's wrong with the set up?? and are you looking for a bait casting or a spinning??? for tossing out swim bait is good to go for a bait casting i say go for a Cardiff reel and a Gloomis rod. there are around $300 give or take

HEMAN
01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
hey i might return just the reel but maybe the rod to because its a 9 footer. but i dont know which rod and reel to get =[ any suggestions?

mmmm you'd have to return both... because spinning rods and baitcasting rods are made differently.

personally if you are still looking for a swimbait setup.. you probably want a shimano andsomething in the 300 and up size. i would suggest the Curado 300 or the Calcuttas for swimbait reels.

my first real baitcaster was the Curado 300, works great for inshore saltwater as well as freshwater swimbait. The crucial sticks are good as well.

i have a swimbait combo i'm tryin to sell if you're interested..
Shimano Curado 300
Shimano Crucial CRC-SX711MH

i'll post some pictures up, but its in great shape and its just about perfect for what you are looking for. I am not sure what price yet (probably about $350 for both, rod retails for $170 and reel retail(ed) for $250).

i will post pictures later.. i had offers for my rod already, but i really dont want to separate it.

matt duarte
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
i just saw a gloomis at a sporting goods store thats a perfect swimbait rod for 179..and if you want a good real diawa lunas are around 250 or you can get a diawa millionaire for 55...cheaper but will work just fine for starting out...ill proly get it just to have it when i sell this damn fish tank lol

hey heman do i hear a trade comming on...you know you want a fish tank...a awesome fish tank for that setup huh lol...couldnt hurt to try haha

socalrippin
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
glad to see you taking the constructive criticism well. very smart decision. theres a lot of rods and reels to choose from. i suggest spending a lil less on the rod and reel and getting some more big baits. lunker punker, huddleston, triple trout etc...

a biley
01-13-2009, 09:59 PM
mmmm you'd have to return both... because spinning rods and baitcasting rods are made differently.

personally if you are still looking for a swimbait setup.. you probably want a shimano andsomething in the 300 and up size. i would suggest the Curado 300 or the Calcuttas for swimbait reels.

my first real baitcaster was the Curado 300, works great for inshore saltwater as well as freshwater swimbait. The crucial sticks are good as well.

i have a swimbait combo i'm tryin to sell if you're interested..
Shimano Curado 300
Shimano Crucial CRC-SX711MH

i'll post some pictures up, but its in great shape and its just about perfect for what you are looking for. I am not sure what price yet (probably about $350 for both, rod retails for $170 and reel retail(ed) for $250).

i will post pictures later.. i had offers for my rod already, but i really dont want to separate it.

wha!? you're getting rid of that bad boy?! why?

SDDave
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Here check out this site might help
http://www.swimbaitnation.com/optimum.html

HEMAN
01-14-2009, 01:36 AM
wha!? you're getting rid of that bad boy?! why?

a biley, i dont want to, but i just got a new swimbait setup (G Loomis swimbait and a Calcutta 400te) and i can't really afford to keep both

so i am kinda trying to sell it.. not really posting in classifieds, but just random offerings.. haha.. maybe i'll post it into the classifieds later this week.. i find it so hard to part with my stuff.. haha
http://askhy.com/cdUploader/files/1/Fishing/Crucial1.jpg

http://askhy.com/cdUploader/files/1/Fishing/Crucial2.jpg

http://askhy.com/cdUploader/files/1/Fishing/Crucial-CU300.jpg

still have that 50mg i want to sell too.. brand new.. =)
now that would be a great first bait caster.. *wink wink LilMystere :Envious:

fishin' vince
01-14-2009, 02:13 AM
i learned how to use a baitcaster when i started swimbait fishing... its way better. i tried the spinning set up and it sucked. go with an Okuma guide select 711H with a Shimano Cardiff 400 and 25 lb test. about $200 for the rod and reel. i feel more confident with a 400 size reel than a 300. or you could get the Okuma induron 400 reel. i have one and its great.

Nessie Hunter
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Okuma guide select 711H with a Shimano Cardiff 400 and 25 lb test. about $200 for the rod and reel. i feel more confident with a 400 size reel than a 300.

Okuma has a great S/B rods for reasonable price..
The Cardiff 400 will treat you right also..

Quality gear at reasonable prices...

Just dont over spend on your first set ups.. !!!!!
The price of your gear does not catch more fish!!!
Even used or garage sale items will get you on the water.... THEN you can figure out what you want & need.... If you like it????
I know it kicked my arzz (old & arthritic) so it isnt something I do very often....
I use a Saltwater Rod (Calif Calico Special (hand me down from friend), and Last time I used a Abu Garcia Ambas bait caster....
Works OK.. I dont throw the big bats often enough to spend a lot on gear.

I guess what Im trying to say is, you dont need a Rolls Royce to learn how to drive.... Start with what works, but doesnt break the bank..
I know your young and that Money is hard to come by.

"Big Swim Bait fishing" is frustrating to say the least..
Your going for that ONE big fish with a thousand casts and 10's of outings. It is definatly a Quality over Qauntity type fishing..

Never, ever forget!! That most Tackle catches more 'anglers', then it does fish....

HEMAN
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Okuma has a great S/B rods for reasonable price..
The Cardiff 400 will treat you right also..

Quality gear at reasonable prices...

Just dont over spend on your first set ups.. !!!!!
The price of your gear does not catch more fish!!!
Even used or garage sale items will get you on the water.... THEN you can figure out what you want & need.... If you like it????
I know it kicked my arzz (old & arthritic) so it isnt something I do very often....
I use a Saltwater Rod (Calif Calico Special (hand me down from friend), and Last time I used a Abu Garcia Ambas bait caster....
Works OK.. I dont throw the big bats often enough to spend a lot on gear.

I guess what Im trying to say is, you dont need a Rolls Royce to learn how to drive.... Start with what works, but doesnt break the bank..

Your going for that ONE big fish with a thousand casts and 10's of outings. It is definatly a Quality over Qauntity type fishing..

Never, ever forget!! That most Tackle catches more 'anglers', then it does fish....

well said...

jim532
01-14-2009, 08:52 AM
if you're not familiar with a baitcasting reel then you might want to get a Sport Chalet Combo, becuase when first learning to use a baitcasting reel you might get really frustrated and throw the f-ing thing as far as you can. Also you might wanna get together with someone from here who lives near you to show you how to use it and how to cope with backlash.

HBJapo
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Solid advise from Nessiehunter! Learn and live by this adage.

Japo :Envious:

lurk 182
01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
don't fear the backlash, it happens to everybody. the key is understanding why it happens and learning to thumb the spool correctly (vey lightly at first and then barely harder as the lure flys toward its target) this way the spool is not spinning faster than the momentum of the bait is pulling out line. those big swimbaits are actually some of the easiest baits to learn with cause they are so heavy that their momentum keeps them flying at a fairly constant speed all the way until they land. a 1/4 oz pop-r is a whole different story, especially when you need to throw it into the wind. no disrespect to HEMAN but don't get that MH Crucial he's trying to get rid of. get the crucial designed for 8-12" baits (i think its an extra heavy 7'11" you need it to throw that BBZ or a huddleston or really any of the eight inch baits.

HEMAN
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
don't fear the backlash, it happens to everybody. the key is understanding why it happens and learning to thumb the spool correctly (vey lightly at first and then barely harder as the lure flys toward its target) this way the spool is not spinning faster than the momentum of the bait is pulling out line. those big swimbaits are actually some of the easiest baits to learn with cause they are so heavy that their momentum keeps them flying at a fairly constant speed all the way until they land. a 1/4 oz pop-r is a whole different story, especially when you need to throw it into the wind. no disrespect to HEMAN but don't get that MH Crucial he's trying to get rid of. get the crucial designed for 8-12" baits (i think its an extra heavy 7'11" you need it to throw that BBZ or a huddleston or really any of the eight inch baits.

no problem Lurk.. thanks for lookin out... i havent thrown a BBZ on it. I'll make sure to note that stuff if i post it to the classifieds. probably going to drop the price a little too.

ghetto dad
01-14-2009, 11:45 AM
what's wrong with the set up?? and are you looking for a bait casting or a spinning??? for tossing out swim bait is good to go for a bait casting i say go for a Cardiff reel and a Gloomis rod. there are around $300 give or take

Should have told him that the first time....i hope you guys are taking these items back for the kid sesgia

GD

FISH_HUNTER
01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Should have told him that the first time....i hope you guys are taking these items back for the kid sesgia

GD

That's what I was thinking!!!!! I can't belive no one else caught on to his reply!!:Shocked:

jbassc
01-14-2009, 01:12 PM

GD

Hes asking whats wrong because he problably brainwashed him to buy all that crap sesgia if your reading this you need to stop ripping off little kids and start learning about tackle before you sell it, i dont know what the hell richard is thinking by hiring a (GOON)like you.Remember that time you tried to tell me what to buy at richards and i told you to get out of my face lil mistery next time tell him the same thing and if your gonna buy something talk to richard directly.

ghetto dad
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
That's what I was thinking!!!!! I can't belive no one else caught on to his reply!!:Shocked:

Yeah, thats how I roll...I pay attention....:Wink:

GD

cappo
01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Refund! Refund! Refund!

richaaron
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
"It's not the wand, it's the magician". Feel free to use that one whenever...

bsp
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Cheap: Cardiff 400 and Okuma 7'11 H Guide Select Swimbait rod $200
Medium: Cardiff 400 or Curado 300 ($200 on ebay) and Shimano Crucial 7'11 H Swimbait rod $250 or $350
Expensive: Calcutta 400 and Phenix 7'11 H swimbait rod $450
Ultra expensive outfit: Conquest 400 and a custom rod to match $700

You cannot go wrong with any of those combos.

Even though you seem to have your heart set on getting a swimbait combo, please consider getting a basic baitcasting combo and learning basic bass fishing first. You've caught bass on nightcrawlers before, but that is nothing like using artificial lures. I really recommend spedning $150 on a 7' Medium fast action bass rod and matching reel with 10lb line before stepping up to swimbaits. This way you can learn and get a decent understanding of basic bass behavior and concepts. Once you have that, go get some bass jigs, 1/4oz and 3/8oz bullet weights, 1/0 Owner worm hooks, round jigheads, a few bags of 6in and 4.5in roboworms (zipper, shakey, and straight tail all work), and maybe a crankbait or topwater hardbait (like a Sammy). You could also throw in a bag of senkos or ikas.

Spend a while getting familiar with all of these lures, and then once you can consistently catch bass on each of them, get a swimbait set up. You'll know you are ready when, after you've caught a fish, you can articulate exactly what made you choose that lure for that area under the current conditions. An understanding of ambush points, escape routes, and lines of attack for the bass will also play an essential part in swimbait fishing, along with a thorough understanding of structure and what it entails.

Keep us (FNN) updated on what happens, and we can give you some more advice if you want.

lilmystery246
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Cheap: Cardiff 400 and Okuma 7'11 H Guide Select Swimbait rod $200
Medium: Cardiff 400 or Curado 300 ($200 on ebay) and Shimano Crucial 7'11 H Swimbait rod $250 or $350
Expensive: Calcutta 400 and Phenix 7'11 H swimbait rod $450
Ultra expensive outfit: Conquest 400 and a custom rod to match $700

You cannot go wrong with any of those combos.

Even though you seem to have your heart set on getting a swimbait combo, please consider getting a basic baitcasting combo and learning basic bass fishing first. You've caught bass on nightcrawlers before, but that is nothing like using artificial lures. I really recommend spedning $150 on a 7' Medium fast action bass rod and matching reel with 10lb line before stepping up to swimbaits. This way you can learn and get a decent understanding of basic bass behavior and concepts. Once you have that, go get some bass jigs, 1/4oz and 3/8oz bullet weights, 1/0 Owner worm hooks, round jigheads, a few bags of 6in zipper roboworms, and maybe a crankbait or topwater hardbait (like a Sammy). You could also throw in a bag of senkos or ikas.

Spend a while getting familiar with all of these lures, and then once you can consistently catch bass on each of them, get a swimbait set up. You'll know you are ready when, after you've caught a fish, you can articulate exactly what made you choose that lure for that area under the current conditions. An understanding of ambush points, escape routes, and lines of attack for the bass will also play an essential part in swimbait fishing, along with a thorough understanding of structure and what it entails.

Keep us (FNN) updated on what happens, and we can give you some more advice if you want.

ive never caught a bass on nightcrawlers. ive caught them on rapalas

snag
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Dude,

the Okuma rod has come up quite a few times here.

They're great rods, I have three thus far and dig them.

Considering the fact you have a Spro BBZ which is a fairly heavy swim bait, you need the correct rod/reel to throw it.

Go get yourself an Okuma Swim Bait Rod...

Okuma GS-C-711XH 15-40lb test 2oz to 10oz lures @ $109.00

OK, now you have a killer rod, now you need a killer reel.

Okuma IDX 400 Induron reel @ $119.00

Here's the kicker man, if for any reason you don't like this combination, just let me know and I will buy it from you for the full price of $228.00 plus the tax, I Promise.

I was going to get an extra one anyways so my kid and nephew will have one when they go out with me.

Spool it with Trilene Big Game 30lb mono at first. You will not break this line and end up losing a 39.00 swim bait.

You will love this set up!

Best of luck to you

lilmystery246
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Dude,

the Okuma rod has come up quite a few times here.

They're great rods, I have three thus far and dig them.

Considering the fact you have a Spro BBZ which is a fairly heavy swim bait, you need the correct rod/reel to throw it.

Go get yourself an Okuma Swim Bait Rod...

Okuma GS-C-711XH 15-40lb test 2oz to 10oz lures @ $109.00

OK, now you have a killer rod, now you need a killer reel.

Okuma IDX 400 Induron reel @ $119.00

Here's the kicker man, if for any reason you don't like this combination, just let me know and I will buy it from you for the full price of $228.00 plus the tax, I Promise.

I was going to get an extra one anyways so my kid and nephew will have one when they go out with me.

Spool it with Trilene Big Game 30lb mono at first. You will not break this line and end up losing a 39.00 swim bait.

You will love this set up!

Best of luck to you

okay thank you im going for this one =] but remeber if i dont like it okay you promised

basscatcher
01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
you should pm some good friends of mine that been swimbait fishing for many many years. pm samfisher or zplugjunkie one of them will hook you up with advice on what to get.

God Bless

basscatcher

ghetto dad
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
This poor kid has GOT to be overwhelmed will the wealth of knowledge that you guys have been giving him....very cool of you guys helping him out

GD

PureAle
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
ya return that setup. go to FISHERMANS ACCESS in BREA talk to Jack for a swimbait setup. but before hand listen to the golden advice fnn members are giving you.

PureAle

bsp
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
ive never caught a bass on nightcrawlers. ive caught them on rapalas

But you have... I remember a post of yours where you had a bunch of catfish and 2 bass in a sink and you said you got them on nightcrawlers. Then becuase you never mentioned what you used in your other posts with bass pics, I assumed you had used nightcrawlers again.

Still, I stand by my prior advice. The bass you caught are good fish, but they are average size. They do not behave the same way as the bass you are targeting on swimbait. I am not talking about the 4 or 6lb bass that will attack the swimbait, I am talking about the 11lb and 12lbers you want to catch. Just be aware of the fact that while you may get one the first time you use a swimbait, most of the time you are fishing for one bite that will take several trips to get. Once you have the first fish, figure out exactly why you got it and you should be well on your way to getting another.

old pudd fisher
01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
"It's not the wand, it's the magician". Feel free to use that one whenever...

Nicely put.:Neutral:

snag
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
okay thank you im going for this one =] but remeber if i dont like it okay you promised

Yup, that I did, and I'm sticking to my word!

If you're anywhere near Glendora, go to B&M tackle (533 E Arrow Hwy Glendora, CA) east of Grand and just west of Sunflower on the north side of the street.

The gal that owns the place is "June". She probably has the reel in stock and possibly the rod too. If she is out of the rods, no worries. The guy that does all the reel repair for her is "Larry" and his son is an Okuma Rep. They can have your rod to you in a couple days.

Larry's a cool old guy and will perhaps even kick you down a few odds and ends for the fun of it (Matt Lures, Optimas, etc...) he no longer competes in tournaments, but knows quite a few folks in the know. You'll get a kick out of meeting him.

Just tell them Vinny's nephew sent you.

Tight lines lilmystery.

smokinflies
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
ya return that setup. go to FISHERMANS ACCESS in BREA talk to Jack for a swimbait setup. but before hand listen to the golden advice fnn members are giving you.

PureAle

Is that the fishing shop across from the Brea Mall?

If it is, that shop is sweet!

PureAle
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
ya man, you cant miss it, its around nordstroms rack. the store owner and employees are mad cool. they know wassup. they got a big variety of gary yamamoto plastics. check it out dude.

sesgia
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Hes asking whats wrong because he problably brainwashed him to buy all that crap sesgia if your reading this you need to stop ripping off little kids and start learning about tackle before you sell it, i dont know what the hell richard is thinking by hiring a (GOON)like you.Remember that time you tried to tell me what to buy at richards and i told you to get out of my face lil mistery next time tell him the same thing and if your gonna buy something talk to richard directly.

i heard he was asking for a spinning set up. because he dosen't know how to use a baitcasting and i'm not the one who set him up. and last time i didn't tell you i recommend. know the fact before pointing finger is better that away ok :Wink:and is not nice to point finger ok GD

ghetto dad
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
i heard he was asking for a spinning set up. because he dosen't know how to use a baitcasting and i'm not the one who set him up. and last time i didn't tell you i recommend. know the fact before pointing finger is better that away ok :Wink:and is not nice to point finger ok GD

The finger got pointed cuzz i asked him if it was a big asian guy, and he said yes....also, this WHOLE time, at least to my knowledge, during this kids dilema, I DID NOT SEE you offer to take the gear back for an exchange for the kid to get the proper set up for swimbaits. Considering that you work there, and are a representitive of that tackle shop, you should have said something...anything....to the effect of "I will see what I can do" or "bring it in, well exchange it".....SOMETHING.......anyways, the kid got the right gear now....go get a DD lilmystery......

GD

PureAle
01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
the finger got pointed cuzz i asked him if it was a big asian guy, and he said yes....also, this whole time, at least to my knowledge, during this kids dilema, i did not see you offer to take the gear back for an exchange for the kid to get the proper set up for swimbaits. Considering that you work there, and are a representitive of that tackle shop, you should have said something...anything....to the effect of "i will see what i can do" or "bring it in, well exchange it".....something.......anyways, the kid got the right gear now....go get a dd lilmystery......

Gd

well said....

Nessie Hunter
01-15-2009, 01:40 PM
The finger got pointed cuzz i asked him if it was a big asian guy, and he said yes....also, this WHOLE time, at least to my knowledge, during this kids dilema, I DID NOT SEE you offer to take the gear back for an exchange for the kid to get the proper set up for swimbaits. Considering that you work there, and are a representitive of that tackle shop, you should have said something...anything....to the effect of "I will see what I can do" or "bring it in, well exchange it".....SOMETHING.......anyways, the kid got the right gear now....go get a DD lilmystery......

GD

I agree with PureAle.. Well said....

sesgia
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM

GD

i would help him but he didn't respon back and i don't know what he want
well what done is done and he is happy now

Senor Rambone
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS ,...... come on now lets not get our panties in a bunch. Im pretty sure people don't come on here to be personally attacked by a bunch of web goons. I really don't think Sesgia had the intentions of ripping off lil mystery. If you are going to give advice fine, but if you are going to talk smack...... u'd better back it up.. its a small world and believe me you'll run into the person you're bad mouthing sooner than later at one of the local waterholes....... when that happens its funny fast peoples attitudes dissappear.

"CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG"
Rodney King :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

FishTacos
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS ,...... come on now lets not get our panties in a bunch. Im pretty sure people don't come on here to be personally attacked by a bunch of web goons. I really don't think Sesgia had the intentions of ripping off lil mystery. If you are going to give advice fine, but if you are going to talk smack...... u'd better back it up.. its a small world and believe me you'll run into the person you're bad mouthing sooner than later at one of the local waterholes....... when that happens its funny fast peoples attitudes dissappear.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:I agree 100% with you Senor..... tell it how it is. Everyone's panties in a bunch :ROFL:
Some people need to lighten up or may they need to light one up .......

ghetto dad
01-20-2009, 12:06 AM

no one is being attacked....and trust me, the last thing im worried about is what is being implied up there.....peace

GD