PDA

View Full Version : Fishin 101

bigblue
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
First of all let me remind everyone that i just began fishing so it might some dumb but whats the best way to know when i get a bite. I usually put a bobber n it works well but at times it makes things difficult (it tangles my line when i rush to set the hook or other times i arrive to late to set the hook n the bobber hits the rod n i loose the fish) i use a c-rig so do i need a bobber? (there has been instances when i got my back turned n i hear reel screaming.) thx any tips would be helpful.

HEMAN
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
depends on what you are fishing for.. and how u want to use that bobber..

for bass.. you'll need to be holding ur rod and reel about 99% of the time... you'll feel that *tick and get ready to set...

catfish, trout, etc.. they range... do a little more research on google and i'm sure you'll find some good info.

socalrippin
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
forget the bobber. like you said it gets in the way. the best way is to keep ahold of your pole till you feel it getting hit. you can feel the fish barely messing with your bait until it swallows it completely. this way you can set the hook when you feel is right. this is how i fish striper at night. with frozen bait at least. if your using more than one pole other good ways are the clip on bells that jingle when you get a hit or the clip on glow sticks. both clip onto the tip of your pole.

matt duarte
01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
also instead of a bobber try putting a lure or jig or something like that about 3 or 4 eyes down from the top of your pole (depending on how big your pole is, generally about in the middle of your pole or a lil closer to the top) and just put the hook around the line and let it hang from your pole..when i fish takes the bait the lure will rise upand normally falls to the ground when you set the hook...hope that made sence

bigblue
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I fish w two rods one set up w pb n the other w n/c. Thats why i be using the bobber hanging from my line between the eyes of my rod. Fishing for trout (didnt know it mad a difference). I hear the drag of my reel once the fish has taken of with my bait thats why im guessing i dont need the bobber.ALSO HOW DO YOU SET THE HOOK WHEN ALL THE EXCESS LINE IS HANGING FROM WHERE THE BOBBER WAS. Thx for the tips

snag
01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
also instead of a bobber try putting a lure or jig or something like that about 3 or 4 eyes down from the top of your pole (depending on how big your pole is, generally about in the middle of your pole or a lil closer to the top) and just put the hook around the line and let it hang from your pole..when i fish takes the bait the lure will rise upand normally falls to the ground when you set the hook...hope that made sence

I tried that with a hudd and can assure you that doesn't work...LOL.

Socal Bassman
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I use a bobber attached to a paper clip. I form the paper clip like the one pictured below. I attach the bobber on the enclosed loop and the hook end hangs on the fishing line. When I get a bite, a quick snap of the rod and my nifty strike detector falls to the ground.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/paperclip-1.jpg

fish4keep
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't stay to far away from the rods. That will eliminate your problem. When the bobber starts going up, you are there to remove the bobber, reel in the slack line, let the line tightens up, and then set the hook....

socalrippin
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
dont hang anything from your line!!! especially lures with barbed hooks!!!

smokinflies
01-14-2009, 08:07 AM
First of all let me remind everyone that i just began fishing so it might some dumb but whats the best way to know when i get a bite. I usually put a bobber n it works well but at times it makes things difficult (it tangles my line when i rush to set the hook or other times i arrive to late to set the hook n the bobber hits the rod n i loose the fish) i use a c-rig so do i need a bobber? (there has been instances when i got my back turned n i hear reel screaming.) thx any tips would be helpful.

Maybe you should start fishing with other people. Learn their ways, ask questions, and see what works for you.
Everyone fishes differently as you can tell.

dalean08
01-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Bako told me to attach the bobber to a hook smash the barb down if it has one kind of like Socal's paper clip the bobber just falls off the line

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I never use a bobber. For trout fishing from shore, I cast out, set my rod in the rod holder and tighten up the line till there is no more slack. I watch my rod tip. When I starts to wiggle I know a trout is there and going for it. I quickly pick up my rod and reel in any slack that might be there and I wait till I feel the trout biting it and I set the hook.

You can also fish with a bait runner. I know 3 people who now fish with Small bait runners at Irvine Lake and they swear by them. When the bait runner feature is on the trout takes the bait and the line goes out. all you do is turn the reel handle and the bait runner feature is off and you then set the hook. Most of the time the trout will set the hook by taking the bait. All you have to do is reel it in. Most of the time.

Hope this helps you out some .

smokinflies
01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I use a bobber attached to a paper clip. I form the paper clip like the one pictured below. I attach the bobber on the enclosed loop and the hook end hangs on the fishing line. When I get a bite, a quick snap of the rod and my nifty strike detector falls to the ground.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/Socal_Bassman/paperclip-1.jpg

That's a good idea, Socal. Never thought about using a paper clip. Bobbers make great strike indicators when your playing the "bait-n-wait" game drunk.:Envious:

HBJapo
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
forget the bobber. like you said it gets in the way. the best way is to keep ahold of your pole till you feel it getting hit. you can feel the fish barely messing with your bait until it swallows it completely. this way you can set the hook when you feel is right. this is how i fish striper at night. with frozen bait at least. if your using more than one pole other good ways are the clip on bells that jingle when you get a hit or the clip on glow sticks. both clip onto the tip of your pole.

I disagree. Bobber fishing can be a lot of fun and very productive in certain waters. I have caught my share of LMB on a bobber. The key is to keep your line straight without too much slack, or you will have to reel the slack in first and then you are likely to spook the fish. Sometimes a bobber works better cranked in slowly, especially with active LMB's. Experiment until you find techniques that work in your body of water. It is much easier to detect a bite with a bobber than a T-rigged Roboworm, especially if you are just starting out. Just an opinion....

Actually, I think I misunderstood your question..... If you are bass fishing, anything attached to your line can be prohibative. Hold the line between your thumb and forefinger as you you work your bait, if you are bottom fishing. TM65 has the right idea if you are going for trout or catfish. The only thing that I do dfferently is that I leave by bail open and just wait for the line to peel off, then go by instinct and set the hook when you think the fish taken the bait far enough.

Japo :Envious:

smokinflies
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Bako told me to attach the bobber to a hook smash the barb down if it has one kind of like Socal's paper clip the bobber just falls off the line

I'm sure a single hook would work too, but I think using a paper clip would be safer.

BassEngineer
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Carolina Rig is made for fishing the bottom. The bobber would be counter productive. IMO, the best way to detect a bite with a C-rig is to keep the line almost tight. With this method when a fish bites several things may happen:

1) Line moves left or right with no tension, STH!! (Set The Hook)

2) Line moves with tension...(the most obvious) STH!!

3) Line will go more slack...this can happen when a fish sarts swimming towards you...STH!!

If at any time you feel, Tick, Tick Tick on your rod...STH!!...and last but not least, when in doubt or your line/rod doesn' feel "right" STH....swings are free.
There are different ways to STH...depending on your gear, so study up!

FISHBAIT
01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
BASSENGINEER

Read your post and it worked me up. For a minute i thought I was fishing at my desk. Good feed back you should be proud.

Fishbait

bigblue
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
first of all thx for taking ur time to read and respond w some very helpful advice that i will try n experiment on my next fishing day. But when im using the c-rig n i have turned the lil knob above the reel counterclockwise (making the line come of the reel easily) do i need a bite indicator can i just wait till my reel starts goin (zzzzzz) then i set the hook. And also when removing any slack line doesnt it remove the bait from the area of the fish is nibbling on ur bait.
Ps. Forgive me i just began fishing not up to date on all fishing terminology.

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
first of all thx for taking ur time to read and respond w some very helpful advice that i will try n experiment on my next fishing day. But when im using the c-rig n i have turned the lil knob above the reel counterclockwise (making the line come of the reel easily) do i need a bite indicator can i just wait till my reel starts goin (zzzzzz) then i set the hook. And also when removing any slack line doesnt it remove the bait from the area of the fish is nibbling on ur bait.
Ps. Forgive me i just began fishing not up to date on all fishing terminology.

The little knob your refering to is the drag setting. BE SURE TO TIGHTEN IT BACK UP BEFORE YOU GO AND SET THE HOOK. If you don't you will have a rats nets like you won't believe:Wink: