PDA

View Full Version : Jetty Question

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I have a question for you saltwater fishing freaks. What jetties can be fished without a saltwater stamp, if any? I never gone saltwater fishing and would like to try it before buying a stamp.

I know you could fish off the piers without a stamp, but I don't think I could fly fish off of there very well.

Oh yeah, I live off the 605-60 freeways, so maybe somewhere down the 605/22/405 area just to try it out.
Thanks.

Ricky-Ray
01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Here's where you can fish for free as defined by DFG regs:

1.88. Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

hakaveli
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
A saltwater stamp is only $5 just get it if u have a license already and u dont have to worry about geting caught

Nessie Hunter
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
A saltwater stamp is only $5 just get it if u have a license already and u dont have to worry about geting caught

:ROFL::ROFL:

Dude, money is tight.... Just drive up North of Point Conception where you dont need it.... SAVE THAT $5............

If you fly fish, that $5 will allow you to Salt fish some of the best Fly areas. Surf, Bays etc.........

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM

1.88. Public Pier. A public pier is a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the landmass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.

Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers.

Thanks, but I know the regulations, that's why I'm asking for locations.

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM

I want to try it first before purchasing a stamp. I don't want to fish where I have to worry about getting caught. I'm asking was jetties can I fish where there is no license required, so I can try out saltwater fishing. If I like it, I'll pick up a stamp, and if don't like it, I could use that 5 bucks for flies or something useful.

hakaveli
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
I want to try it first before purchasing a stamp. I don't want to fish where I have to worry about getting caught. I'm asking was jetties can I fish where there is no license required, so I can try out saltwater fishing. If I like it, I'll pick up a stamp, and if don't like it, I could use that 5 bucks for flies or something useful.

i know the marina del ray jetty doesnt need it and 72nd street jetty in LB dont need it.
other than that i dont know . i dont worry about it because i have a stamp

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
:ROFL::ROFL:

Dude, money is tight.... Just drive up North of Point Conception where you dont need it.... SAVE THAT $5............

If you fly fish, that $5 will allow you to Salt fish some of the best Fly areas. Surf, Bays etc.........

Thanks NH! Finally someone that understood what I requested, and delivered. :Envious: Is that up by Santa Barbara?

I guess I'll be purchasing a saltwater stamp.

fish4keep
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM

purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers.

That is probably the most important part. Which alot of people don't understand. So understanding that here are some jetties that don't require a salt water stamp: Newport Harbor jetties, Huntington Harbor jetties, Alamitos Bay jetties (the jetty on south/east side of San Gabriel River requires a salt stamp).

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
i know the marina del ray jetty doesnt need it and 72nd street jetty in LB dont need it.
other than that i dont know . i dont worry about it because i have a stamp

Thanks dude, I just want to try it out, and if I like it, I'm getting a stamp for sure. The last thing I need is to get busted for illegally fishing.

Thanks again hakaveli.

smokinflies
01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
That is probably the most important part. Which alot of people don't understand. So understanding that here are some jetties that don't require a salt water stamp: Newport Harbor jetties, Huntington Harbor jetties, Alamitos Bay jetties (the jetty on south/east side of San Gabriel River requires a salt stamp).

Thanks F4K.

Fish Dog
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Just to kind of simplify this, as far as jetties that you don't need a stamp (or license) it is harbor mouth jetties. If there are boats going in and out of the harbor between the jetties then those two jetties do not need a license.

Nessie Hunter
01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Almost all of the non fishing jetties are well posted with signs in about 7 diff languages... Or fenced off & signed..

Point Conception was a joke (youll spend $50 on gas to get there, so you can save $5... :ROFL:

Point Conception is No of SantaBarbara between Solvang & Goleta

sansou
01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Are we really having a discussion over a $5 stamp?

Wow, I really hope Obama turns this economy around fast!!

lurk 182
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
buy the damn stamp. DFG needs the $ bad. buy ones less crocodile at the tackle shop and be legal wherever you go. you'll spend more than $5 in gas getting to the coast and back to your crib. if you buy it now its about fifty cents a month. i don't know if now would be the time to fish salt if you're only going to give it one chance from a jetty. in may though, when the water in newport harbor heats up, i don't know how you could not like saltwater fishing. that is unless you don't like hard tugging little spotted bay bass on light tackle, which hardly anyone doesn't like. for now, maybe fish the bolsa chica/huntington wash through for some barred surf perch or long beach peninsula for halibut.

Ricky-Ray
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
buy the damn stamp. DFG needs the $ bad. buy ones less crocodile at the tackle shop and be legal wherever you go. you'll spend more than $5 in gas getting to the coast and back to your crib. if you buy it now its about fifty cents a month. i don't know if now would be the time to fish salt if you're only going to give it one chance from a jetty. in may though, when the water in newport harbor heats up, i don't know how you could not like saltwater fishing. that is unless you don't like hard tugging little spotted bay bass on light tackle, which hardly anyone doesn't like. for now, maybe fish the bolsa chica/huntington wash through for some barred surf perch or long beach peninsula for halibut.

Yeah fishing the salt is bad. I hate them WSB, yellowtail, tuna/albacore. Flyline a sardine or a squid at them, just so you can get a tasty fillet from them. Yeah I hate them so much I've made it my life's calling to get rid of them one limit at a time. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Fish Dog
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe you could hold up a cardboard sign at the entrance of the local tackle shop...

"Will work for ocean enhancement stamp"