PDA

View Full Version : Catching Crawfish

gavin310
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I have some crawfish traps... I know it's not the season, but can you still catch maybe just a few crawfish in traps in the winter time? Or is it not even worth trying cause you won't get anything? I'll be down at a lake in San Diego.

nismotech91
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I've done it at night during winter.

Wont hurt to set em up and let them soak.

Goodluck!

gavin310
01-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Alright if you've done it I'll go for it. I just didn't want to be wasting bait and effort if there was no chance of getting anything.

Ambassadorhawg
01-14-2009, 05:59 AM
As long as the water temp is warm enough to keep them active, you should be able to get some year round. It's been warm lately so I would think that they are active now.

chris
01-14-2009, 07:46 AM
I have some crawfish traps... I know it's not the season, but can you still catch maybe just a few crawfish in traps in the winter time? Or is it not even worth trying cause you won't get anything? I'll be down at a lake in San Diego.

my buddy just pulled a dozen from a lake in the mountains surrounded by snow with a water temp of 49 degrees. It might be a little better in san diego

tpfishnfool
01-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Ah Mud Bugs .. Love those things. Whats the best bait ? We used to use bologna or hot dogs. They are better eating in the cooler water if you can find em.

gavin310
01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
my buddy just pulled a dozen from a lake in the mountains surrounded by snow with a water temp of 49 degrees. It might be a little better in san diego

That's really good to hear. I'll let you know how many I pull out

gavin310
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Ah Mud Bugs .. Love those things. Whats the best bait ? We used to use bologna or hot dogs. They are better eating in the cooler water if you can find em.

i've used trout guts and that worked. i've used salmon and that worked too. but i've heard catfood, hot dogs, and all kinds of other things work too. i honestly think as long as it gives off good scent they'll show up. these things have been on this earth for a looooong time and i don't think they survived this long by being picky eaters... ;)

HBJapo
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Lots of baits, but I've used mackeral for lots of bugs.

Japo :Envious:

smitty99
01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
get some cheap (more stinky) catfood and punch some holes all over the can; top and bottom

that always worked for me

Jester
01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Bacon works really good for me.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm gonna try some mackerel since I have a bunch of it. I'll let you guys know if I get anything. I'm only gonna put out 1 trap I think...

ToadsToadsOnly
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM
You dont need to catch them just go to Orange County and buy them wholesale $3 a pound. I'll be cheaper than buying Mac's or spending the gas money to go catch them. Artist Wholesaler in garden grove 714 901 4600 ask them for the small ones 1lb is like 25 of them.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
You dont need to catch them just go to Orange County and buy them wholesale $3 a pound. I'll be cheaper than buying Mac's or spending the gas money to go catch them. Artist Wholesaler in garden grove 714 901 4600 ask them for the small ones 1lb is like 25 of them.

I still love catching them (you can just go to the store and buy fish ya know? :Wink:) but I've been trying to find a place where I can buy them too. Thanks for that info!!! I also heard about a restaurant called The Boiling Crab that has crawfish and I've been meaning to go there.

ToadsToadsOnly
01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I still love catching them (you can just go to the store and buy fish ya know? :Wink:) but I've been trying to find a place where I can buy them too. Thanks for that info!!! I also heard about a restaurant called The Boiling Crab that has crawfish and I've been meaning to go there.

Boiling Crab does not sell them live but Man they taste awsome cooked. Got to warn you if you eat there you will be hooked for life and make sure you wear a bib.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Boiling Crab does not sell them live but Man they taste awsome cooked. Got to warn you if you eat there you will be hooked for life and make sure you wear a bib.

hah man i'm drooling now. i haven't had crawfish since i last ordered 40 pounds of live ones from Louisiana last year!

troutdog
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Now paging Koshaw and Mondo21 :LOL:

TD

calico killer kevin
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Don't procrastinate. GO. The absolute BEST place to get them around here(cooked). Also order some cajun fries.

gavin310
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Don't procrastinate. GO. The absolute BEST place to get them around here(cooked). Also order some cajun fries.

Wow... alright!! LOL. I'm gonna go soon. Honestly the reason I haven't gone yet is this hot 20 year old girl with big boobs said she wanted to go with me but she's being flaky. I just need to say screw it and go with a friend.

smitty99
01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Don't waste your money on getting a chick dinner. Just tell her to call you if she wants to go out for drinks.

Make sure to ask her what time she plans to eat dinner, whatever time she says, tell her you'd like to meet for drinks an hour later--then you don't get roped into paying to stuff her face.

Pursuit rarely gets you much anyway. It will save you the stress, the time, and dinner money if you just meet for drinks. It's more casual anyway and lower stress.

Don't act overly interested and make sure you check out all the other hotties walking by when you're at dinner. It will make her even more jealous.

If and when you do go out for drinks, don't buy the weak stuff....shoot for Long Island Ice Tea, an LA Water, or maybe a Donkey punch!!! :ROFL:

Oh wait, she's only 20??? oops! :LOL:

gavin310
01-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Don't waste your money on getting a chick dinner. Just tell her to call you if she wants to go out for drinks.

Make sure to ask her what time she plans to eat dinner, whatever time she says, tell her you'd like to meet for drinks an hour later--then you don't get roped into paying to stuff her face.

Pursuit rarely gets you much anyway. It will save you the stress, the time, and dinner money if you just meet for drinks. It's more casual anyway and lower stress.

Don't act overly interested and make sure you check out all the other hotties walking by when you're at dinner. It will make her even more jealous.

If and when you do go out for drinks, don't buy the weak stuff....shoot for Long Island Ice Tea, an LA Water, or maybe a Donkey punch!!! :ROFL:

Oh wait, she's only 20??? oops! :LOL:

dude once she sees how fast i can peel those mudbugs it's gonna be donkey punch time