PDA

View Full Version : So what do the steel head go for?

Koshaw
01-13-2009, 09:33 AM
I saw the post about the silver bullets and was wondering what they usually hit on. Do they usually go for the same items as the regular trout (pmouses, worms, pink/green berkley worms, kastmasters, thomas buoyants, gulp baits, etc?

Troutman65
01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
they usually go for the same items as the regular trout (pmouses, worms, pink/green berkley worms, kastmasters, thomas buoyants, gulp baits, etc?

That would be correct Chuck:Wink:

Koshaw
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks bud!!!

=^^=

Just checkin :D

Better go to 6lb fuourocarbon then at least on one pole eh? :D

Troutman65
01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks bud!!!

=^^=

Just checkin :D

Better go to 6lb fuourocarbon then at least on one pole eh? :D

4 pound line is all I use to bait & wait at the lake

MAVERICK27
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I use 6 lb mono with 2lb Floro leaders for big rigs and fish...4lb mono with 2lb Floro leader for the rest.......Been workin good so far

fishbone
01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
crawlers and cast masters blue and chrome.

Koshaw
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Hmm I wonder if I should put those nice red treble hooks on all my lures now :D

saintarv
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Magnets works pretty well also.........j/k :ROFL:

troutdog
01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
"Think Pink" :Idea:

TD

Koshaw
01-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Ooh :D Thanks TD!

*rubs his hands while cackling megamaniacally*

I gotta ck my 150 pack of pink floating worms :D

TroutOnly
01-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Hey koshaw what if they want something white,,,,,

Koshaw
01-14-2009, 07:03 AM
I got those too :D

I got a couple hundred pink berkley floating 3" worms cause I had a source online but they dried up :(

They were coming in 100 packs :D for cheaper than 28 bux i was selling em for.

I was making a mint buying em and then selling em to people on here and on ebay :D

Of course I gave FNNers a better rate!

Mondo21
01-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I got those too :D

I got a couple hundred pink berkley floating 3" worms cause I had a source online but they dried up :(

They were coming in 100 packs :D for cheaper than 28 bux i was selling em for.

I was making a mint buying em and then selling em to people on here and on ebay :D

Of course I gave FNNers a better rate!

Bring all the ammo! Team Koshaw will slay Trout!!!:ROFL:

troutdog
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Ooh :D Thanks TD!

*rubs his hands while cackling megamaniacally*

I gotta ck my 150 pack of pink floating worms :D

Don't forget about me on Saturday...."megamaniacally" nice word btw :LOL:

TD

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 06:31 PM
If you hook up to one of them Steelies while trolling you will have a blast reeling it in.

Koshaw
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Ooh ;D I hope I do hook up with one :D 4lb fluoro baby. And thanks TD I always have had a way with words ;)

I gotcher covered TD as well as Team Koshaw.

=^^=

one_leg
01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Lures Lures Lures

Trolling lighter color lipped harbaits like the shad pattern ShadRap05 early in the morning is your best bet. The Diawa SC Shiners that Ken from the Vine's Berkley Pro-Team has been recommending would also be a great choice. Ask him what colors he would prefer the day you go because conditions change from day to day. Smear or spray the lures with some scent, but make sure not to get anything on the leader for at least a couple feet above the lure or else the fish will be able to see it more easily. Just wipe the excess off if you do get some on the line.

You should have your rods in a rod holder, or else you might end up watching your rod go flying over the back of the 'Toon when you hook into one of those Steelhead. Mount a rod holder perpendicular off of each side of the 'Toon and you can troll at least 5 lines without much risk of getting any tangles. 2 out the sides, 2 at the back on each corner, and one straight down the middle. Troll them at about 2 MPH, and about 60 to 80 feet back if you can mount your rod holders parallel to the waters surface. If you are just leaning your rods against the the pontoons back rail you should let the 2 outside lines back about 100 feet, maybe even 120, but keep the middle one shorter, at about 60 to 80 feet. That will be a lot less likely to cause you to get tangled up.

Make sure your drag is set lighter than 1/3 of the lines rated breaking strength because the Steelhead hit harder than a freight train barreling down the tracks at full throttle. 1/4 of the line test rating wouldn't be too light in my opinion. Test your drag setting by using a spring or digital scale by attaching the line AFTER it goes through every guide on the rod. You should do this because the guides create friction as the line passes through them. More guides=more friction, and it all adds up. You must resist the temptation to tighten your drag while fighting the fish or else you might lose it when it gets close to the boat and makes another run snapping the line in the process.

Use the longest (7 foot +) light to medium action rods you have in order to absorb the shock of the strike and to allow for better sensativity and more challenging fight. 6 lb. is about as heavy a line as you'll need. Using a flouro leader is not neccessary, but it can't hurt, unless you tie crappy knots. Connect your flouro leader with a Uni to Uni connection. It is really easy to master with a little practice. The Double San Diego Jam and the Improved Clinch knots are what I prefer for connecting to terminal tackle such as barrel swivels and lure eyelets.

Once you have hooked into a nice sized fish make a gentle turn towards the side of the 'Toon the fish is hooked on if there isn't any risk of interfering with other boaters. This will help in a number of ways. Firstly, it will decrease the tension on the line a little bit. Secondly, it will cause the fish to come up alongside the 'Toon making it easier to net it. And it also keeps your line away from your other lines allowing you to keep the motor in gear. If it is a really large fish you should probably take the motor out of gear as soon as you have begun reeling in the other lines to avoid the possibility of tangles or breaking off the fish.

As soon as you have the fish safely on the 'Toon get your lines back out and start fishing again. Then you can start taking some pics and calling everyone to tell them the good news. That area would be a good one to make a few more passes through a couple more times just in case you had encountered a nice sized school of fish there. Rainbow trout are a schooling fish and once you catch one there are often some more in the same general vicinity. Once you hook up on the troll you'll often get another hookup, and sometimes even a triple while trolling three or more lines. The other fish get excited when they see the fish that is hooked up and think that they are gonna get something good to eat too. A veritable feeding frenzy sometimes ensues.

Otherwise I would just use a PowerMouse early in the morning made with White Berkley PowerWorms and Berkley Marshmallow Cluster PowerBait. Completely drench it in Berkley Corn or Garlic Dip. Chartruese w/1/2 an inflated crawler would probably be an all right choice as well.

Chuck, I sincerely hope that you guys catch a monster Steelhead 5 lbs. or better because they are a real blast to catch on the lighter line.

Koshaw
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow man thanks for all the info bro O_o and for the kind words of encouragement :D I hope we do as well =)

I never got one of those before =^^=

Nice write up btw! and very detailed :D

troutdog
01-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice post O_L, you are back in prime form these days....keep the solid info coming :Thumbs Up:

See you Sat,

TD

Rooster
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
One_Legg Trolling guide service. Gotta Love it

BTW when is the DVD and book coming out :Envious:

one_leg
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
One_Legg Trolling guide service. Gotta Love it

BTW when is the DVD and book coming out :Envious:

As soon as Maverick27 can find the time in his busy schedule to write the forward to it.

DVD? I am too homely looking to ever star in anything.

MAVERICK27
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Thats ok, we'll do it documentary style, we'll hire Nick Nolte to play you hahahaha

Mondo21
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Thats ok, we'll do it documentary style, we'll hire Nick Nolte to play you hahahaha

Low blow...:ROFL: Cindy

one_leg
01-16-2009, 10:46 AM

It'll never work. Nobody would believe it. He falls down a lot more than I do.

MAVERICK27
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Haha, he is funny...I used to see him n court a few times...fighting drug cases!!!! he looked horrible!!! Yes he does fall down...

one_leg
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Nolte was a heavy drinker until 1990. When Katharine Hepburn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000031/) accused him of falling down drunk in every gutter in town, he replied: "I've got a few to go yet."

Rooster
01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I noticed your getting good at cut, copy and paste O_L ... Props :ROFL:

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I noticed your getting good at cut, copy and paste O_L ... Props :ROFL:

I wrote every word of my reply to Koshaw myself. :Neutral:

I did snatch the quote from Internet Movie Database. :Embarrassed:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000560/bio

sansou
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Gary Busey....

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:21 PM
He isn't weird enough.

sansou
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
He isn't weird enough.

Yeah, not sure if it's because he isn't "weird" enough, or if it's because it would be hard to picture him hunched in front of a monitor playing an internet predator. :ROFL:

one_leg
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Oops, I must be getting too popular again. I will leave now.

Rooster
01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I wrote every word of my reply to Koshaw myself. :Neutral:

I did snatch the quote from Internet Movie Database. :Embarrassed:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000560/bio

I meant the Katharine Hepburn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000031/) part. Not the Novel. :LOL:

MAVERICK27
01-16-2009, 01:12 PM
you forgot to tell them what underwear to wear haha...

nice report...all kidding aside...can't wait to see the 400 noobie trollers at the tournament for me to maneuver around now..after the lurkers read this post..

one_leg
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Noobie trollers only let their lines out about 30 feet. You will be fine Maverick, no need to worry.

The Vine likes to rent out their boats so that people can fish from them. Most don't even troll at all.

So Mav, are you gonna troll the leadcore this time, or are you gonna stick to the mono?

MAVERICK27
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, they will let their line out how far you told them to silly man!!! I'm gonna see a bunch of One_Leg internet trolling students haha.

I have a secret...that's why I haven't posted much on trolling reports lately. It involves some leadcore work...yes and mono. I will tell you this.....its all bout time of day!!!

one_leg
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, they will let their line out how far you told them to silly man!!! I'm gonna see a bunch of One_Leg internet trolling students haha.

I have a secret...that's why I haven't posted much on trolling reports lately. It involves some leadcore work...yes and mono. I will tell you this.....its all bout time of day!!!

Aha, I think I know what your secret is. You fish during the time of day when everyone is eating their breakfast burritos and lunchtime Fishermans Cheeseburger Specials so that they won't run over your trolled lines in a one_legged fashion!!!

Rooster
01-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Oops, I must be getting too popular again. I will leave now.

This may be a reach, But my guess is you like ATTENTION O_L :UDaMan:

Sansou please STOP,, Your killing me :ROFL: