PDA

View Full Version : finally i got a swimbait setup!!! =]

lilmystery246
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
well hit up good old richard fishing tackle and he sure hooked me up! i bought all this =] and hes so cool that he gave me free line! well im not good at bait caster si i got spinning setup. oh and saw these limited edition powerbait jars. the guy said there hard to find so i bought three jars =]. and i also bought a new swimbait =] i believe that size is hard to find to =]. totaled up to $329 =]

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300020.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300021.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300022.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300024.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300025.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300026.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300027.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300030.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300031.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300032.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300034.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300035.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300037.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/LILMYSTERY246/S7300040.jpg

old pudd fisher
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Dam your on the move man, good days a head for you, nice rigs and that moma on the wall looks better than ever, do you want to sell that painting?

BingJr
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow, that was a curveball. I was never expecting to see a spinning reel at the end of this. Thank you for that curveball. Put two giant balls of orange glitter power bait on each hook of the BBZ. Let me know how it works!

ogrich31
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow, that was a curveball. I was never expecting to see a spinning reel at the end of this. Thank you for that curveball. Put two giant balls of orange glitter power bait on each hook of the BBZ. Let me know how it works!

lol me neither. but if you learn how to use a baitcaster, you'll be able to toss those swimbaits out much farther and spool up bigger line (20-30lb test) for those big swimbaits.

pasadenafishin
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
cool, i have that same reel, i never thought that i could use it for swimbaits.

a biley
01-12-2009, 10:16 PM
should have just went with a baitcaster, you skipped the whole regular basic bass setup and went straight to swimbaits! get ready for some repetitive casting that gets tiring

socalrippin
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
yep, prolly should have went with a baitcaster for tossing them big baits. remember practice makes perfect.

sesgia
01-13-2009, 01:24 AM
very nice set up and you got a good deal too wow

candyman
01-13-2009, 02:38 AM
Just be careful if you toss the bigger heavier swimbaits, your finger might get cut...

richaaron
01-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Two words. Line twists... Good luck with that.

tama16
01-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Go to save on tackle pick you self a diawa strikeforce for around $50.. Not to much money and a good way to practice. I got one for my 13 yr old son and he loves it....

ghetto dad
01-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Who cares about your new setup, whos is that in that picture hooking up tortillas??? nice....lmfao

Nice gear homie

GD

ps....now that your dishes are washed...take out the trash lil homie....

dalean08
01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
taking pictures in the SH**** of power bait at least get a picture of a German brown trout

a biley
01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Just be careful if you toss the bigger heavier swimbaits, your finger might get cut...

ohh yeah!!! lol completely forgot about that!!! i say you return it and get a baitcaster.

That Dang Guy
01-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Interesting choices. Let us know how it works out...I have a sneaking suspicion that casting a swimbait on a spinning rod is going to be rather difficult to load up since you have to hold the line with one finger. I'd hate to be casting on a setup all day that weighs that much too.

fishndrinknsmokin
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Very cool that you are getting into fishing so seriously at such a young age and that you are learning to do things the right way. I know you are just a teen so whoever is supporting your habit should get props too even if they are just driving you around to get your lines wet.

Picture taking tip for you tho.....you need to learn to use the macro function on your camera to take close up pictures. You cam probably has a setting for it....if you don't have the manual for your cam, most cameras have a pic of a flower to indicate the macro setting. Just dial in the setting and you will see you will be able to focus your close ups very sharply.

Good luck on the swimbaits!

familyguy15
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
You know what...some people just live to hate on this site --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two words. Line twists... Good luck with that.

Its nice see fisherman, especially young fisherman, expanding there fishing knowledge, trying new things you know!! some people just got to hate. Good luck with the new setup Mystery!! Let us know how it works for you!!!!

FishermanStu
01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure it can be said enough but I would seriously reconsider your choice of tackle. It's a sweet setup for sure but seriously casting Heavy things on the baitcaster is pretty easy. IMO get something more conventional setup.

DarkShadow
01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
LilMystery,

I'd recommend getting yourself working on using a baitcaster before dropping that type of cash on a heavy spinning setup which is not very ideal for throwing big swimbaits.

In bass fishing especially, you want to learn how to walk before you try to run, IMO.

OH, and I remember the days when candid advice wasn't dubbed 'hating.'

BingJr
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Ideally get your self a MH 6'6 Baitcasting set up, they can be gotten for relatively inexpensive and begin to master casting the baitcaster. I bought my 10yo one for his birthday in May and he loves it. Never wants to fish the spinner again. Although he does for trout and bluegill and such. Practice in the pool, park, front yard, local pond with an easy to cast item such as a texas rig worm, crankbait, jig, krocodile, kastmaster etc etc. Avoid a bait thats too heavy for your set up or a spinner bait as both are a little more difficult to master. Once you have the inexpensive MH setup dialed in, then you can set your sights on that Baitcasting Swimbait setup that will trully allow you to enjoy that style of fishing much more and you will be more effective in your presentations as well. I am not trying to down your stuff, but just give you some sound advice that you will ultimately be happier with in the future. Good luck with the venture which ever way you choose to go.

FishermanStu
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Ideally get your self a MH 6'6 Baitcasting set up, they can be gotten for relatively inexpensive and begin to master casting the baitcaster. I bought my 10yo one for his birthday in May and he loves it. Never wants to fish the spinner again. Although he does for trout and bluegill and such. Practice in the pool, park, front yard, local pond with an easy to cast item such as a texas rig worm, crankbait, jig, krocodile, kastmaster etc etc. Avoid a bait thats too heavy for your set up or a spinner bait as both are a little more difficult to master. Once you have the inexpensive MH setup dialed in, then you can set your sights on that Baitcasting Swimbait setup that will trully allow you to enjoy that style of fishing much more and you will be more effective in your presentations as well. I am not trying to down your stuff, but just give you some sound advice that you will ultimately be happier with in the future. Good luck with the venture which ever way you choose to go.

the exact path I took on my road to greatness. Haha. The road to greatness is a joke but the rest is exactly what I did

FISH_HUNTER
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
HEY LOOKS LIKE FOR THE MOST PART EVERYONE HERE IS CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR CHOICE OF TACKLE SETUP, AND I DO BELIEVE

THEY HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS. I DON'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE BUT I'M SURE YOUR OLD ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S "GOOD"

ADVICE AND WHAT POST YOU CAN IGNORE. THAT BEING SAID I THINK YOU SHOULDN'T GO BACK TO THAT TACKLE SHOP! WHAT WAS IT? RICHARDS?

YEAH I THINK HE SCREWED YA OVER. I DON'T SEE HOW WHAT YOU HAVE LISTED COSTS $329? EVEN WITH LINE!

LIKE FishermanStu AND OTHERS HAVE SAID

IT'S PRETTY EASY TO USE A BAIT CASTER WHEN TOSSING THE HUGE SWIMBAITS.

"RICHARDS" SHOULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB ON COACHING YOU INSTEAD

OF TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING THAT WAS COLLECTING DUST OF THE RACK/SELF................

Sorry about the all CAPS :LOL:

DarkShadow
01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
The rod was listed for $229? Ouch.

Cabelas has them on sale for $79 to $99.

http://tinyurl.com/a437np

You keep that receipt, bro?

Nessie Hunter
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I dont know what to say?????

Good job???

HBJapo
01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
LilMystery,

I'd recommend getting yourself working on using a baitcaster before dropping that type of cash on a heavy spinning setup which is not very ideal for throwing big swimbaits.

In bass fishing especially, you want to learn how to walk before you try to run, IMO.

No kidding DS. A little "advise" goes a long way in fishing. It's one thing to be creative based on experience and fishing knowledge, it is much different to be steered in the wrong direction.

You are dead on, as usual.

Japo :Envious:

bsp
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, you definitely should return the gear. You can get Sedonas for $35 and that rod for $100. I cannot believe that that store sells Fenwicks (not the elite series) for that much. That limited edition powerbait is not better than the normal kind, but it's a decent buy b/c you get twice as much in the jar. So you didn't get ripped there. How much did he charge you for the Megabait? They are $15 for the old ones.

On the gear, if you HAVE to learn swimbaits first (NOT recommended), and you have that kind of cash, get yourself top of the line gear and be done with it. A Calcutta 400B and a Phenix Ultra Swimbait rod (Heavy Action) will handle whatever you want. A spinning rod and reel are not suited for swimbaits at all because of line twist, line cutting your hands with really heavy baits, bad action on the rod, and that most spinning reels are incapable of the high drag settings needed for swimbaits. It's way easier to learn how to use baitcasting gear.

As several others have said, it's a lot better to learn basic bass fishing first before you pick up swimbaits. Trout on powerbait to bass on swimbaits is a huge jump, and the learning curve will be really steep. Swimbait fishing is not something you just try out and get fish the first time out. You might, but that's really unlikely. Learn basic bass fishing first, and once you understand that try the swimbaits.

weaponofbassdestruction
01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow thanks for the heads up. I will never ever go to richards tackle.It seems the people over there took advantage of you and your lack of experience.Take all that stuff back tell richard or whoever to shove it and go to sav-on and get a way better BAITCASTING setup.Also pick up some huddlestons.

a biley
01-13-2009, 04:10 PM
LilMystery,

exactly what I was thinking, you skipped the whole regular baitcasting with worms and cranks and went to the most expensice style of bass fishing with the wrong choices...

and it's definitely not hating, it's solid advice...

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, you definitely should return the gear. You can get Sedonas for $35 and that rod for $100. I cannot believe that that store sells Fenwicks (not the elite series) for that much. That limited edition powerbait is not better than the normal kind, but it's a decent buy b/c you get twice as much in the jar. So you didn't get ripped there. How much did he charge you for the Megabait? They are $15 for the old ones.

On the gear, if you HAVE to learn swimbaits first (NOT recommended), and you have that kind of cash, get yourself top of the line gear and be done with it. A Calcutta 400B and a Phenix Ultra Swimbait rod (Heavy Action) will handle whatever you want. A spinning rod and reel are not suited for swimbaits at all because of line twist, line cutting your hands with really heavy baits, bad action on the rod, and that most spinning reels are incapable of the high drag settings needed for swimbaits. It's way easier to learn how to use baitcasting gear.

As several others have said, it's a lot better to learn basic bass fishing first before you pick up swimbaits. Trout on powerbait to bass on swimbaits is a huge jump, and the learning curve will be really steep. Swimbait fishing is not something you just try out and get fish the first time out. You might, but that's really unlikely. Learn basic bass fishing first, and once you understand that try the swimbaits.

i know basic bass fishing if you havent seen my other post you should.... but thanks for the advice im going to laguna lake today just to try it out and if i dont like it im going to return it

a biley
01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
i know basic bass fishing if you havent seen my other post you should.... but thanks for the advice im going to laguna lake today just to try it out and if i dont like it im going to return it

return it while its new!!! and trust me the bass fishing you did is VERY basic, spinning setup, we mean basic baitcasting setups...

ouch i just saw the rods at cabelas!!! return them now and order it there!!! If Richards tackle told you to get that for swimbaits, he didn't do his job correctly IMO... but if it catches you fish, then by all means, keep it!

we're all just trying to help...

ghetto dad
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
return it while its new!!! and trust me the bass fishing you did is VERY basic, spinning setup, we mean basic baitcasting setups...

ouch i just saw the rods at cabelas!!! return them now and order it there!!! If Richards tackle told you to get that for swimbaits, he didn't do his job correctly IMO... but if it catches you fish, then by all means, keep it!

we're all just trying to help...

Was it Sesgia, a big asian guy, who sold you that gear lilmystery???

GD

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Was it Sesgia, a big asian guy, who sold you that gear lilmystery???

GD

he was big [bigger then me] and asian

GET DA NET
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
who cares about your new setup, whos is that in that picture hooking up tortillas??? Nice....lmfao

nice gear homie

gd

ps....now that your dishes are washed...take out the trash lil homie....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ghetto dad
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM

I believe that might have been Sesgia..hes a member here...you should hit him up, Im sure hell work out something for you man....

GD

matt duarte
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
hey dude whats up.. Im sure youve read it enough on here but im gonna say it again haha...

i toss big baits all day..bbzs,lunker punkers, hudds ect.. All the advice that has been given is GOLDEN! Were just trying to save your fingers and to save you from having to buy bait after bait cause they snap off your line.. I cant see any way of tossin a 5.3oz bait like the bbz on a spinning reel..i just dont see it working correctly....with a baitcaster and heavy baits its just as easy to toss as a spinning reel just set the settings on the baitcaster your gonna get so the bait falls slowly when in free spool...also i suggest you get a pole at least 7'6" the new pole im getting for my big baits is 7' 11" extra heavy, fast or medium action. And as for the reel you can get a diawa millionaire for 55 bucks and it will handle the baits good..

oh and even if you do keep it and catch a good sized fish the drag on spinning reels sucks for big baits and big fish..defentl take it back bro ull find a better deal and setup

HEMAN
01-13-2009, 04:37 PM
with all the goofing we do on posts.. i sincerely think everyone that has posted it just trying to look out for you...

especially with money being so tight for everyone. i wouldnt want to see someone blow so much money on something that is a bad deal.

your fishing skills have no relevance here.. if you want to jump to swimbait.. then so be it.. BUT i think the point here is, that you got a bad deal or are getting the wrong type of gear for what you are trying to do.

for example, you could easily drop shot for bass using 25lb line, but is it right for the application? no

just cause you can cast the swimbait on a spinning reel doesnt mean it's the best application for what you are looking to do.

i think in general (and i think everyone else here can agree), if you want to keep your setup, then fine. BUT purchase from somewhere else, as it seems you didnt get a very good deal.

free line can only add up to so much $$$, unless he gave you some spools of PowerPro.. then maybe... =)

good luck kid... i see you have a lot of fishing heart...

matt duarte
01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
oh ya what size line are you using to toss those bad boys? I use nothing less than 30lb i have snapped and seen buddys snap 20 and 25 lb test like nothing with the bbz and hudds...

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
oh ya what size line are you using to toss those bad boys? I use nothing less than 30lb i have snapped and seen buddys snap 20 and 25 lb test like nothing with the bbz and hudds...

i got 25 LB AND 30 LB

socalrippin
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
matt is right.... im currently looking for a big bait setup. definitely gonna be a baitcaster. just wish i had the cash you had lil baller!!!

PureAle
01-13-2009, 05:14 PM

yo LILMYSTERY if your going to return it roll to a better tackle shop like FISHERMANS ACCESS.

The store owner is really cool man his name is Jack.

here is the address

FISHERMAN'S ACCESS
524 E. Imperial Hwy. #Unit A
BREA, CA 92821

Tel:(714)674-0064
Fax:(714)674-0061

a biley
01-13-2009, 07:24 PM
in my honest opinion, i say you should skip the whole swimbait setup, i hope your reason for getting it wasn't because everyone throws those bad boys... go with a 7'0 mh rod and a low profile baitcaster, catch a few fish on those... then go for the grand daddy of bass setups, swimbait! like someone said earlier, learn how to walk before you run

PureAle
01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
in my honest opinion, i say you should skip the whole swimbait setup, i hope your reason for getting it wasn't because everyone throws those bad boys... go with a 7'0 mh rod and a low profile baitcaster, catch a few fish on those... then go for the grand daddy of bass setups, swimbait! like someone said earlier, learn how to walk before you run

correction got to learn how to crawl before you walk :LOL:

matt duarte
01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
dont be doggin this dude.. he knows and can catch bass and if i remember correctly he caught quite a few at the pudd...and that is one tuff place to fish at times... dont worrie dude just work on taking that setup back and get a bait caster and a heavy action rod and your golden!

a biley
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
dont be doggin this dude.. he knows and can catch bass and if i remember correctly he caught quite a few at the pudd...and that is one tuff place to fish at times... dont worrie dude just work on taking that setup back and get a bait caster and a heavy action rod and your golden!

spinning tackle and nightcrawlers though... from that to a swimbait setup is like using the warps in Super Mario Brothers NES

jbassc
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
To be honest with you your gonna be the first guy i ever seen fishing a swimbait with a spinning setup if i were you i would return the stuff and get me casting equipment the other guys are right the line twist are gonna be horrible.

jbassc
01-13-2009, 08:23 PM

that guy doesnt know anything about bass fishing he went to a golf course with one my friends and got skunked while my friend caught like 30 bass.I know him real good and hes kind of (DINGY)what i mean is that his missing a couple of screws in his head he was problably trying to impress richard by making a sale lil mistery you should return that crap and never listen to that lame again.

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
that guy doesnt know anything about bass fishing he went to a golf course with one my friends and got skunked while my friend caught like 30 bass.I know him real good and hes kind of (DINGY)what i mean is that his missing a couple of screws in his head he was problably trying to impress richard by making a sale lil mistery you should return that crap and never listen to that lame again.

um idk if that was him i dont think it was

lurk 182
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
dude, don't fish that gear and give them a reason not to take it back. as long as you're cool with store credit, they'll give you that. you want an eight foot heavy rod and a cardiff 400. you should be able to get it for less than what you spent already. give that megabait back too. those baits will burn your thumb, 100% guaranteed.

dockboy
01-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Spinning tackle can be used. One of the best swimbait fisherman out there, Fish Chris, uses spinning. Use braid tho. Use a leader, and the braid wont twist up like mono. Hes caught some massive fish on the big baits with spinning tackle. And he outcasts some of the best of them. I personally prefer and use the casting setups for the big baits, specifically the Okuma Guide Selects and Shimano Cardiff 300/400.

jbassc
01-13-2009, 11:18 PM
um idk if that was him i dont think it was

yes it was sesgia is the only fat asian guy who works a richards.

FishermanStu
01-13-2009, 11:21 PM
alright seriously. five pages of posts about how its not a good idea and your still rejecting it? i mean by all means go out there and do it if you want. i know its cool that you got your first swimbait setup and your stoked to try it but come on, listen to experience. im not saying that i personally know what is best for you and your fishing but guys like matt duarte who i have been reading swimbait posts for some time now are giving you some good advice. do what you will, im sure you will go out there toss the thing and love the distance you get but when it comes to actually handling fish or hell even getting the bait unstuck you might have some major issues.

lilmystery246
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
yes it was sesgia is the only fat asian guy who works a richards.

umm i didnt say hes fat

BassFreak
01-14-2009, 12:09 AM
alright seriously. five pages of posts about how its not a good idea and your still rejecting it? i mean by all means go out there and do it if you want. i know its cool that you got your first swimbait setup and your stoked to try it but come on, listen to experience. im not saying that i personally know what is best for you and your fishing but guys like matt duarte who i have been reading swimbait posts for some time now are giving you some good advice. do what you will, im sure you will go out there toss the thing and love the distance you get but when it comes to actually handling fish or hell even getting the bait unstuck you might have some major issues.

Since it appears that you wont take the advice offered to you here, good advice that I agree with by the way. Let me try to make the best out of the situation..

1. I will try and stick with the cheap swimbaits. $15 and under, you will lose a lot more swimbaits lures using that setup. yeah sure they might not swim as nice as the high priced ones but there is a snowballs chance you can catch fish on them. may I suggest the LA slider. cheap but effective sometimes. remember its not the bait, its where you throw them that matters..

2. stock up on line.. you will be changing line ont hat thing quite a bit, maybe once very coupe of trips. as what already has been said, heavy line is more susceptible to line twist than their lighter counterparts.

3. buy some gloves!! holding that line while trying to cast the heavy swimbait lures will destroy your finger. get some extra protection..

I just hope that you dont give up on swimbaits jsut because your first attempts at it were difficult, and you do have a more difficult time n front of you with that set-up than most.

Last but not the least, bring someone more knowledgeable with you next time you decide to invest in some gear. It really doesnt matter how much you spend as long as you get exactly what you need for your style of fishing.

And just to add, one thing not mentioned here is if / and when you actually do get a bite and it sticks.. you dont play swimbait fish, you kindda try to winch them in to keep those hooks embedded as it is easy for the fish to throw these baits due to their weight. this is where the baitcaster shines most as inherently by design, spinning reels CANT "winch" fish in. good luck to you and your ventures, hope you make good use of that set-up..

XS.. Shame on you Richards tackle!! :Rolls Eyes:

cappo
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Why would you hustle a kid Sesgia? Thats ****ed up.

HBJapo
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Lots of great advise lilmystery,

Remember that the test of time is what it's all about. On this site you can advance your learning curve by leaps and bounds. Please take the time to absorb the info these guys are giving you. I am not a swimbait guy, but what is being shared with you makes a lot of sense. If you can avoid the pain of spending time creating unproductive time on the water you will benefit greatly. Bass fishing is a lifelong process and shortening the curve will make it much more enjoyable. As someone posted earlier, we can tell that you have a lot of heart, don't stunt your growth by doing the square peg round hole thing. I'm not stating that you are doing the wrong thing, but you are getting some very good advise from those that have struggled and then succeeded.

Tight lines my man, nail that big one,

Japo :Envious:

fish4keep
01-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Did you guys ever thought that maybe thats what lilmystery wanted, a spinning and not a bait casting. If I was a salesman, I would try to look for what the customer wanted after giving him some advice on the advantages and disadvantages (hope the salesman at Richard did????) between the two setup. It ultimately comes down to the customer.

But if I were you, lilmystery, don't even throw that and just take it back for a refund or atleast store credit.

HEMAN
01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
just an fyi... looks like he is deciding to return it.. there is another thread...

basscatcher
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM

you have learned well young grasshopper. haha hey bro lets go hit up prado this saterday morning. i'll be thier at 8 near the areator with a group.

God Bless

basscatcher

ghetto dad
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
you have learned well young grasshopper. haha hey bro lets go hit up prado this saterday morning. i'll be thier at 8 near the areator with a group.

God Bless

basscatcher

hey biley, you got a date homie!!! :ROFL:

GD