PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor 1-11-09

bonitoboy
01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

Went to King Harbor yesterday from about 8am to about 3pm. High tide going out and low tide coming in. Water was clear. Skies clear, no wind. Got a new rod and reel for xmas and wanted to see how they perform.

Took the inflatable out of the harbor since it was pretty glassy and trolled some plastics for any halibut. No takers. Drifted past the outside rocks with a couple of LC pointers and staysees for 0 calico. Drifted past the pier to see if we could find any bonito schools on the fish finder nope.

Went back in to the harbor and had our fill of mackeral and little jack mackeral before leaving. Ridiculous school of Jack Mackeral. They are actually competing with the reg. pacific macks for dominance in King Harbor. I have noticed that in recent years they have been making a bigger appearance ever year. Does anyone know if they make good hoop bait?

Couple of guys in a skiff caught two bonito, so I guess they are still there. No one really catching, spoke to a guy on a kayak who did not have any luck either. As I was coming in some guys were going out in a kayak, 3 guys in fact. I have never kayaked but did not think that was possible. I watched them go out and about 25 yards from the dock, they flip. They were in about 6ft of water and were all wearing their pfds. But the water was 56 degrees. Another boat came and assisted but they abandoned the kayak and swam for the rocks which I thought was more dangerous than swimming back towards the dock or staying with the boat. Anyways lucky they were not out further.

calico killer kevin
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I was trolling feathers a couple weeks ago, but only the live baiters were getting bonies. Yeah, the macs are ridiculous in there.

BIGRED KILLA
01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the report.The jacks make good hooping bait just need more of them i will take bonita over them any day or a large pacific mack 4 hooping.

Bigred

jonshibata
01-12-2009, 05:39 PM
They are actually really good to eat. The greenbacks are only good for catfish bait, but Spanish mackeral are in the jack family (same as yellowtail) and are good. You just have to keep them fresh. Toss them in the cooler right after catching them. Bleed them before you do that, and they keep even better. Bonito are also catfish bait. Fun to catch, but that's about it.

BIGRED KILLA
01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
They are actually really good to eat. The greenbacks are only good for catfish bait, but Spanish mackeral are in the jack family (same as yellowtail) and are good. You just have to keep them fresh. Toss them in the cooler right after catching them. Bleed them before you do that, and they keep even better. Bonito are also catfish bait. Fun to catch, but that's about it.

I eat Bonita all the time i knife there gills and throw them on ice for 30 mins then take the blood line out.They taste great we sashimi it right on the boat with the soy sause and wasabi.I had fresh bonita and yellow on are boat and to me the bonita tasted better sashimi then the yellow.

Bigred

supasportkid
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
thanks for the report. 3 guys on a yak?? thats crazy

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Bonito are also catfish bait. Fun to catch, but that's about it.

Ur missing out on good eating there buddy.....slice throat and on ice they go....fillet and cut on each side of the blood line....remove the blood line and fry...batter dip...bake...it's ALL GOOD...........

I love them suckas !!!!

try it but keep it fresh as you mention with the spanish macks !