PDA

View Full Version : Possible Shimano 50MG replacement?

That Dang Guy
01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
First of off, let me preface this by telling you to ignore the shimano vs daiwa fanboy arguments that tend to break out over at TT.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35937

As we all know, the 50MG was recently discontinued and Bantam has confirmed that they have no interest in upgrading/replacing it in the US market. Over on the otherside of the Pacific, something is already in the works. Photos has been spreading aroun and it's to be called Aldebaran MG. Rumor has it that it weights in at measly 155g, 5.46ish oz.

We'll see how this will unfold. I'm curious on what the price point will be. I think plat had a sale on their metaniums awhile back...which is essentially the equivalent of our Core here. I wonder if it'll outright replace it or be an addition to their line up.

a biley
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
man... i want it!

DarkShadow
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm sure it's a dope reel, especially the introduction of the JDM model, but unfortunately, has no place in my arsenal at this moment in time. The MG slot is currently being held by my MG and MG7, and unless the 'hollow' feeling of MG reels goes bye bye, I'll be looking for the all metal offering from reel manufacturers from here on out; obviously, no disrespect to those anglers that love that MG feel. I wonder how much the reel will go for?

A nice $400 price tag perhaps?

BassFreak
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Yep, All it needs is to get paired up with the new and improved Dobyns rods and youre all set to conquer the world.. :Confused:

That Dang Guy
01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
We'll just have to wait and see. My guess is if it is around the MG7 pricing, it'll replace it. If it's below that, it will essentially be a MG version of a the new Curado E.