PDA

View Full Version : Aquaduct skunk tour

ghost2uu
01-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Hit the aquaduct sat night in Pear Blossom, Little Rock and Palmdale at gate 49 for nothing. Started at 10:00 pm and wrapped it up around 8:00 am. threw rattle traps, flukes, and jerkbaits. Skunked again, after six the gates completly closed and there was no current. I need some duct help.

ghost2uu
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah finished the day at Silverwood for two schoolies on the chovie.

scvbasser
01-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Hit the aquaduct sat night in Pear Blossom, Little Rock and Palmdale at gate 49 for nothing. Started at 10:00 pm and wrapped it up around 8:00 am. threw rattle traps, flukes, and jerkbaits. Skunked again, after six the gates completly closed and there was no current. I need some duct help.

just keep plugging away. you'll get them. i have no luck at the duct either

jonshibata
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
A lot of stuff hit at the same time. The full moon, the earthquake, the wind. Just let it settle down for another week or so and it should be kickin

yolo
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
A lot of stuff hit at the same time. The full moon, the earthquake, the wind. Just let it settle down for another week or so and it should be kickin

I don't think those have much to do with it. It does sound good though :Razz: I remember after the Northridge earthquake, which was pretty major, I couldn't get down to work and went to the duct to fish and I caught two. Wind is not a factor either. It just sucks to fish in the wind when it is cold.

RamboBoy
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Was that you I met you at the Duct in the a.m. ? I was fishing there 5am to 4:00 p.m., nada catch....next time !

By the way, it was good to see you Striper Bill and I enjoyed chat with you!

ghost2uu
01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Were you at gate 49 off of 70th st???

Bison
01-13-2009, 08:40 AM
yolo,
I have to disagree with you. I don't post much but I have fished the duct for 20 years and have done better than average with lures only. I can tell you that wind, moon phase, sun, or clouds make a huge differance and a bass lateral line pick up vibration from earthquackes, trucks even that loud mouth guy down the bank. Try to think of stripers like a LMB and they should be fished similar but duct stripers get way more pressure than any LMB in a given lake

WJC71
01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
It basically comes down to being at the right place at the right time. I've caught them during the full moon,no moon, high pressure, low pressure, any season of the year,before and after earthquakes and morning, noon or night. If there's no bite, it probably means they're not there. I know a lot of people say to hang out at one spot for a while. All you're doing in that circumstance is waiting for the stripes to come to you. If you have that bait and wait personality, and bait 'n wait applies to throwing jigs, traps, etc. in one spot for an hour or two also, your fish to time ratio goes down the drain. You need to stay on the move. By this, I mean to find a spot (not necessarily a gate or siphon) and work it upstream, downstream and strait across. After you do this, you move on. Maybe ten twenty yards max. Do it again and again and again. The stripes are in constant motion searching for food and the necessity of getting oxygen into their systems. You, as a fisherman need to act and think like the fish your targeting. I, personally, have never spent more than two hours at the duct and I have pulled fish out. I bring one lure, one pole, a sack (for the stripes), and the necessary water and phone.

PM me If you need more info

BTW...... Hope the ankle's feeling better Yolo

...end.....

ghost2uu
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I have the aquaduct in taft and tupman dialed, but trying to get something in palmdale area since I live in chino. I got DVL dialed but my buddy and I have been hitting that once twice a week since halloween.

yolo
01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
It basically comes down to being at the right place at the right time. I've caught them during the full moon,no moon, high pressure, low pressure, any season of the year,before and after earthquakes and morning, noon or night. If there's no bite, it probably means they're not there. I know a lot of people say to hang out at one spot for a while. All you're doing in that circumstance is waiting for the stripes to come to you. If you have that bait and wait personality, and bait 'n wait applies to throwing jigs, traps, etc. in one spot for an hour or two also, your fish to time ratio goes down the drain. You need to stay on the move. By this, I mean to find a spot (not necessarily a gate or siphon) and work it upstream, downstream and strait across. After you do this, you move on. Maybe ten twenty yards max. Do it again and again and again. The stripes are in constant motion searching for food and the necessity of getting oxygen into their systems. You, as a fisherman need to act and think like the fish your targeting. I, personally, have never spent more than two hours at the duct and I have pulled fish out. I bring one lure, one pole, a sack (for the stripes), and the necessary water and phone.

PM me If you need more info

BTW...... Hope the ankle's feeling better Yolo

...end.....

I concur. I have caught them in all conditions and been skunked in all conditions. I don't over analyze it. I too don't spend more than 2 hours out there. I guess since we are close and can run out there for a little bit even a couple of times a day, we are spoiled. I know if I was driving from an hour plus away, I would spend more than 2 hours out there.

Ankle is better but still tender and sore.