PDA

View Full Version : rod case?

a biley
01-11-2009, 11:14 PM
any recommendations? going to Canada for 2 weeks in the summer, cousins own a cottage by the lake, and I want to bring my gear with me.

looking for something similar to this:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0012079&navCount=0&parentId=cat20325&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=null-cat20325_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20325&rid=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=rod%20case&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502

but I heard it's not that great. do those plano rod tubes protect the rods any good?

sesgia
01-12-2009, 01:35 AM
there not that the best i use to have something like those. after the first trip at the airport. the guide on my rod got bang up really bad and all scratch up. and if you want to take your rod there here is the best thing to do is. head over to home depo and pick up a pvc pipe (depend on how many rod) and a cap. also you want to pick up some bubble wrap. use the bubble to wrap the rod together (in pair) and use the tape to finish it up. don't forget to tape each end of the rod to the tube so it doesn't slide around.

BassFreak
01-12-2009, 01:36 AM
This sounds a bit ghetto, but youre better off making one yourself, buy some PVC tubing, i forget the type, but its the thicker one and some end caps and youre done. I've tried the bazooka tubes and was not impressed. now I jsut go with the PVC pipes and use the coin i save for more fishing stuff.. :Wink:

Koshaw
01-12-2009, 06:34 AM
I got one sitting around if you want to grab it. PM sent =)

Its ok, just really big lol. I got a toyota corolla hehhehee.

Nessie Hunter
01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I have traveled (flown) to Mex to fish several times... With as many as 62 anglers in the group...

By far the best rod case I have seen/used was the flambeau Bazuka..

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0011837010576a.shtml

Easy fill and easy empty, The handle is longer then the rest, so you can find balance point easily.... Rugged....
Little things that count when your runnin & gunnin through an airport..

Get the 6" model (largest Diameter).
You can get a crap load of stuff in there, Most Airlines allow one Rod Case "free" (sporting equipment) in check in.. (Check your Airline)..

Always wrap rod tips & butts with towels/foam etc and make sure they are cushioned against the end of tube...

My 2 cents......

jplee3
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I have traveled (flown) to Mex to fish several times... With as many as 62 anglers in the group...

By far the best rod case I have seen/used was the flambeau Bazuka..

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0011837010576a.shtml

Easy fill and easy empty, The handle is longer then the rest, so you can find balance point easily.... Rugged....
Little things that count when your runnin & gunnin through an airport..

Get the 6" model (largest Diameter).
You can get a crap load of stuff in there, Most Airlines allow one Rod Case "free" (sporting equipment) in check in.. (Check your Airline)..

Always wrap rod tips & butts with towels/foam etc and make sure they are cushioned against the end of tube...

My 2 cents......

Ditto on the Bazuka. It's a GREAT way to transport! My buddies and I loaded around 10 trolling/casting rods (the longest being an 8'6) into my Bazuka on our trip to Bahia de LA. Around 10hrs, at least 4-5 of them driving through 90+ degree heat, the Bazuka fared very well. When we dismounted it down at Bahia the case was sorta 'buckled' in from where the straps were because of the heat, but it quickly formed back into shape overnight. It's a really nice unit. I'd suggest buying a small lock or using wire to secure the latch that closes the flap door though - I would have been concerned about it popping off but had a lock and it worked out perfectly.