PDA

View Full Version : Sarl sat night action 1-10-09

Redside
01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Finally got the chance to hit up SARL again, figuring the place should be crowded with fish and ready to bust wide open! With all the wind, I figured it would probably be harsh conditions, but to our suprise, it was a beautiful, calm evening.

I met my friend Tony in line at 4:30 p.m., we were in promptly at 5:00 and headed to Levitz corner. To our surprise, the high winds that had been hitting Orange all day had pretty much died down. The crowd was light as usual for a night session, maybe 20 cars altogether.

We got set up, I put out my standard white gulp egg/ lipripperz worm combo on a #10 mosquito hook for one pole, and a 1/2 inflated crawler on the other. Tony went all power bait.

It was still daylight when we started fishing, and although the water was stained, it wasn't as muddy as I expected. Nontheless, we used short (10") leaders all night.

Things were pretty quiet for the first hour or so, but then my bobber started dancing and the first fish was on. It turned out to be about a 1.5 pound fish, nice looking with full fins. Couldn't tell if it was a Nebraska trout, but it fought pretty good.

Over the next hour or so I caught two more, before Tony caught his first fish. He then proceeded to start catching, and added two more by about 9:00. I caught a fourth at about 9:30 and figured it would only be a matter of time before I was through.

And that was it. They quit biting, no matter what I tried the fish were through playing for the night. Just when you think you have it all dialed in, the fish can show you otherwise.

All of the fish we caught were nice, 1.5 to maybe just over 2 pounds. No 3+ pounders this time, but all were nice fish with full fins. I honestly couldn't tell if they were Lassen fish or Nebraska trout until I cleaned them.

I think I ended up with two of each, but I also think that the longer the Nebraska fish are in the lake, the less orange their meat is. The lassen fish are pretty much white meat.

Overall, it was a great evening of fishing. As the water continues to clear, I think it's going to get better. The two guys to the east of us caught some also, I think they had 3 or 4. Can't wait to get back out again soon.

Oh, by the way, the crawler pole never got bit. I think some mini-bluegills attacked it a few times, but the trout left it alone. This is my second trip without catching a fish on the nightcrawler setup. I usually catch at least a couple, and sometimes this is all they want. I tried both garlic oil and corn dip scent to no avail.

Tight lines.

saintarv
01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Good job man. It seems like the bite is getting better. Might hit it next Sat. night. :LOL:

CASTAWAY
01-14-2009, 06:26 AM
cool report. thanks for sharing.

FISH_HUNTER
01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the detailed report!!

"The lassen fish are pretty much white meat." yeah nothing like trout that come out of "cold" waters. It sucks when you clean a 5 lbs trout and the flesh is white as snow :Shocked: I've cleaned 3/4 lb trout out of Big Bear and
they are already starting to turn color.