PDA

View Full Version : Native Sun (01-10-09) with a few familiar faces

KaliDawgFan
01-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Since I hadn't been out on an ocean boat in YEARS and saw ghetto dad's post about the half off weekends I had to just at the opportunity. Boxl0bster said he'd go in halves with me. Sweet! I'm finally going to ocean fish from a boat again. This morning on the way to LBSF I was coming up the 405 N and see that the connector to the 710 S is closed. Fantastic...I have to find another way to get there. What was lame about it was they weren't working on the connector. They were working on the freeway a couple of miles ahead. I managed to get there anyway. It only took an extra 10 - 15 minutes. So I arrive in the parking lot and see two familiar faces...OFG and Norma Jean.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/OCDawgFan/Native%20Sun%2001-10-09/GEDC0123.jpg

OK, now to the fishing. We get to our first spot, and it was an instant perch slaughter. I must've caught a limit's worth in 5 minutes. Boxl0bster, OFC and Norma Jean were doing very well also. The was the result of my first cast.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/OCDawgFan/Native%20Sun%2001-10-09/GEDC0128.jpg

That was how it was the first couple of stops. Mostly perch were hitting, but you would occassionally see a different species. OFG caught 5 different species out there today...perch, a sand bass, a sole, a mackeral and a baby rockfish. A couple of sheepshead were caught as well. Once everyone tired of the perch we set out for some bass sculpin. We never did really that WO of a bite again, but a couple of later spots yielded good fish. We all seemed to get a strong fish hooked that got away though. I had a hard tugger that spit the hook about halfway up, and the other big fish I hooked made a run for a buoy and snagged me up to it. Boxl0bster fought a monster that got hung up on something down on the bottom. We did see a few monsters caught though. There were these two cabazon that from a distance looked like good-sized ling cods. I mean these things were HUGE! A big sculpin was also caught. Team 57 cleaned up in the raffle. Boxl0bster won a cool tackle bag. Both Norma Jean and OFG won something too, but I forgot what it was.

Here's the inside of my gunny sack.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/OCDawgFan/Native%20Sun%2001-10-09/GEDC0129.jpg

Thanks Ernie for showing me the correct way to set up my rig, and thanks OFG for showing us all how to fish...again. Oh, and thanks again GD. I'll definately have to go back out sometime soon.

hakaveli
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
good job with the blacksmith . BBFC aka team blacksmith will try to get the bass tommrrow

troutdog
01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Nice to fish with friends, you sure were in good company out there today. Wish I coulda joined you guys, thanks for the report and pics Kali.

TD

one_leg
01-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Ryan, way to go on the nice perch. Eat them quick!!!I like the way you did that one a favor and caught it through the eye so you wouldn't hurt it's lips....lolThanks for the report.

Mr Bendo
01-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Nice job Ryan!!!!

sansou
01-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Very cool!

Good to also see OFG and her buddy "Norma Jeanie Weenie"!!

boxl0bster
01-11-2009, 09:03 AM
thanks ryan for letting me go halves with you. i had a blast fishing with you, ofg and norma. we gotta do it again soon. :Cool: if it werent for all of you the trip would not have been as fun. i also want to thank norma for picking my raffle ticket so i could win that sweet tackle bag, too bad it wasnt for the rod. haha. the crew of the native sun and mack were awesome. thanks to ghettodad for hooking it up ill be back soon! :Envious:

KaliDawgFan
01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I almost forgot about putting a plastic crawdad and plastic frog on my lines to see what would happen. The perch nailed those too. lol

Was that first picture the one that wrapped around the buoy line or the one that spit the hook on the way up?

boxl0bster
01-11-2009, 09:25 AM
lol yeah that frog and crawdad were funny. i dont remember which one it is. i want to say its not the one when you hooked into the lobster traps. let me know when you want to go again.

JapanRon
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi KaliDawgFan,

Nice job on the good-tasting fishys. Be sure and take advantage of that deal as long as it lasts. I'm kinda wondering when the hammer is gonna fall at some of the landings with boats going off-line for refurbishing. Some boats do it earlier some later between now and March 1st when everybody will be up and ready for the full-on season !!

2 for 1 a great deal !!

Thanks,

JapanRon

supasportkid
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
cool, nice perch party

ghetto dad
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice job and report guys....thanks

GD

olfishergal
01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Norma kept bugging me to get out on the Native Sun again since we had such a good time last time we went. Needless to say, we had a blast. Ran into Kali and Boxlobster so we had great fishing companions. It was a beautiful day on the water, calm seas and not cold, barely any wind. Capt Jason and his crew are the best. They worked so hard to get us on the fishies. Jason doesn't give up easy at all. Sue in the galley cooks a mean Burrito.....We probably fished the same place as the Sunday crew. The Perch bito was WFO to say the least. Scored the limit several times over and gave away to those who didn't. I took mine home.......Also caught nice Sandy, a rock, mack, baby sculpin, and a sole. I had a (6) species day,. Brought home the sole, sandy, and 10 perch. Grilled them up and had great fish Tacos. Saw a couple of Cabs and Goats caught. Got beat out of the jackpot by a fat sculpin. I managed to get my Sandy on a gulp chartrusse grub. I had another one hooked but had a weird thing happen. Came unpinned somehow., When brought the line in loop was intact and hook was missing WTF!!! I have a few pics but having trouble loading. I will have my kid load them for me tomorrow. Ryan, Ernie, Norma and I had alot of fishing with you two and hopefully we can do it again. I think I will stick to Sundays since I work so late on fridays I was cranking on (2) hours of sleep. Worth every second IMHO to spend my day on the Native Sun. I love that boat, lots of room, plenty of seats in the Galley or just go upstairs for the upper deck. Thanks Steve, Norma and I had a great time and we will fish with your crew again. OFG

Troutman65
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Ryan , Nice report. Cool BoxlObster & yourself could split the cost of the trip. :Cool: