PDA

View Full Version : The Duct-Bako

BassnRack
01-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Headed out to the Duct at 6:15 this morning. Nice and clear at Calloway and Snow when I left. By the time I hit Kratzmeyer it was FOGGY! What a fun drive out there going 45 the whole way! Anyway, ended up at my spot about 7:00 after I stopped and got some biscuits and gravy. I only took two rods out today, one with bait and the other with a lipless Lucky. First cast, Wham! After a nice fight I pull in a 24" 5lb striper. I'm thinking, oh this is gonna be fun! 2nd cast- Nada. 3rd cast- Nada. 10th cast Nada. Time to throw out the bait pole! 100th cast- Nada. Did this for another 3 hrs. The most action I had during this time was breaking the ice of my guides. It was 26 out there this morning. At 10:15 I almost lost another rod. The fish grabbed my anchovie and took off and didn't stop. After a nice little fight I landed a 22" 4 lber. Then I packed it up and headed home!

Be careful if your going out that way!!!! It was REALLY FOGGY this morning! Slow bite, but it was better than sleeping in this morning.

I may add pics. I just got a new phone and have no idea how it works yet!

trail blazer
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
WTG on the limit bro!!!!!!!
did you try any jigs??

BassnRack
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Nope! To be honest with you, I've never thrown a jig or tube bait for striper. I am fairly new to striper fishing(Been doing it for years, but only 1 or 2 times a year). I've always been able to catch them on rattle traps and bait, but I'm sure I should get jiggy with it. Do you work em like a bass jig? The guys I've seen fishing them are really popping them. What do you suggest I try?

Think I might head out there again in the morning!

trail blazer
01-10-2009, 09:34 PM
cast out then let r sink 3 seconds then start 2 quick 1 ft jerks then let her sink for a cpl seconds and repeat,,,,be VERRY aware of youre jig as its falling cause this is when most hits happen!!!!!!

1st few casts let r sink 3 seconds,,,if no takers then let the next few casts sink 6 seconds before starting the retrieve ,,,and so on till youve coverd the whole water collumn.

if no current i use a 1/4 oz jig
if current i use a 1/2 oz

white or red jig head
pearl or glitter clear tubes and fluke,s,,3 and 4 inch.
hope you slay a monster bro

t,blaze

BakoBassin
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Ah, BnR slummin' at the 'duct, LOL.

It's almost time for the real fishes to start biting again :Wink:

You know I kid guys. That's why you wubs me :Envious:

BassnRack
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Slumming at the Duct is right! I've got to do some sort of fishing, and I'm really not in to lake fishing for trout, even though I went out once with my dad. Was going to pre-fish Millerton today, but thought it would be too foggy! It's about time our bass season is finally ready to kick off.

Went out to the Duct again this afternoon from 2-5:30. Should have went from 4:30-5:30. No bites from 2-4:30, but pretty quick limits from 4:30-5:30. Fish a little smaller grade this evening(22 inchers), all on bait. I threw Lucky Lipless, pointers, gunfish, 6 in. swimbaits for nothing.

There were a lot of fishing busting the surface toward the end of the evening. All appeared to be pretty big 5-10 lbs. maybe?? Just wondering if these are striper or carp. I threw everything in my arsenal at them with no takers.

Well, I'm having striper tacos tomorrow for dinner! Can't wait!

yacker
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Brad-

Nice work out at the Duct. Didn't know you went out there? Needed to get the fishing fix since it's not bass season I guess. Haven't been out there in a while myself, have to give it a shot sometime. Let me know if you want to go out there sometime.

Chris Miyake

dalean08
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Bassnrack what club are you in?

BassnRack
01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Kern County

BassnRack
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Yacker! Haven't seen too much of you lately at school! Yeah, like Bakobassin said, slumming at the Duct. Hey, can you blame me! They're bigger than most of the bass I've been catching, it's close to home, they fight harder, and I will keep and eat them. Add em all up, your still catching striper. HA HA! It's all good! Give me a ring if you want to go out their sometime.

spooky007
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Nice report!! Pics are always nice!!