PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Josh Carp Bait

Brody
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Has anyone tried this bait out? If so what was your experience with it? Different flavors, hook-ups, texture etc? Debaiting about picking up some, the usual stuff (corn, bread, mallows) isn't working to well lately. Thanks brews.

http://www.unclejosh.com/unclejosh/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/46/page/1/id/38/name/CarpBait10oz

Sir Catchalot
01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I've used Uncle Josh Carp Bait for years and at times it will produce. But the trick I've discovered is to only use it when the water is warm. In warm water it will slowly melt and create a sweet scent trail that carp love to follow. In cold water it just sits there. I've had my best luck with the orange/vanilla flavor. A no. 8 treble hook works well but it can also be molded onto a single hook. You may want to also try some of the flavored canned carp corns or just some plain old sweet corn from the Super Market. They seem to be a better producer in cold water. A few kernels on a no. 4 hook with a Carolina rig and your in business.

Good Luck !!

Brody
01-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the info and advice Catchalot, I've been using regular corn lately but it's been a bust for me. I'll try out some of the orange/vanilla flavor and update with my results.

Bronzeback
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Has anyone tried this bait out? If so what was your experience with it? Different flavors, hook-ups, texture etc? Debaiting about picking up some, the usual stuff (corn, bread, mallows) isn't working to well lately. Thanks brews.

http://www.unclejosh.com/unclejosh/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/46/page/1/id/38/name/CarpBait10oz

The key to winter carp fishing success is, not so much about the bait, but what time your fishing. Carp are more active in the late afternoon, into the night, during the winter months. Having said that, you can still expect fewer bites, but your odds will improve, fishing later in the day. That's just part of winter "carpin".

Corn will work. Try, sweetened with some vanilla or strawberry extract mixed with a little corn oil. Fish 3-4 kernals on a #8 SSW hook. And lite line, 2-6#.

BingJr
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
FYI, Corn is not allowed at lots of lakes as it is un-digestible for fish and will kill those other fish that gobble up kernels. Make sure it is ok to fish corn at the lakes you are visiting.

Bronzeback
01-13-2009, 06:11 AM
FYI, Corn is not allowed at lots of lakes as it is un-digestible for fish and will kill those other fish that gobble up kernels. Make sure it is ok to fish corn at the lakes you are visiting.

The myth about corn killing fish has been around for a long time, but has no basis of fact.

And FYI, corn is a legal bait in California per DFG regs. All FNN members should know this by now. Please stop perpetuating the myth.

EDBSIP
01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
my brother and I have had good success with Uncle Josh's carp bait at most of the lakes we fish at. the orange and red flavors have worked best for us in the past

Brody
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Carp'n has been pretty slow for me lately. My usual rig is a c-rig with a few kernals of corn 4lb line, it just hasn't been producing bites. Maybe I just can't find the fish? I'll try some of the tips here and see if that puts the fish on. And for the DFG regs in CA I always here people tell me I can't use corn, but from what I've read it's legal (just no chumming). I did end up ordering some UJCB, hopefully it will produce for me. On a different note, anyone have any experience with the carpio at the Pudd? Debaiting about trying the Pudd out.

Fish Dog
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
The myth about corn killing fish has been around for a long time, but has no basis of fact.

And FYI, corn is a legal bait in California per DFG regs. All FNN members should know this by now. Please stop perpetuating the myth.

This is true and it is a great bait. What is illegal is chumming with it, which a lot of people tend to do since there a whole lot of kernels in even a small can of corn.