PDA

View Full Version : Don't Drink and Drive

migfrias
01-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Did I mention that I hate drunk drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been laid up for three weeks because of this "f"ing idiot who decided to drive drunk. I should be planning a weekend fishing trip instead of pissing off my time locked in my house. The idiot probably only spent a few days in jail and my butt feels like I am in prison. THIS SUCKS............................................. ................................Just venting. But, do think twice before driving while even a little intoxicated.

miguel

Tail Chaser
01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Not sure if its true or not. But.....
I just heard last week that a DUI in Calif cost 10k
They sure could build a lot more boat ramps with them healthy fines.

Bummer you got hurt by some drunk.

baadfish69
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
They couldnt crack down hard enough on drunk drivers, and this is coming from a guy who is on house arrest this very moment for a DUI.....ankle bracelet and all. Now before you all jump on me for being a "drunk driver", let me point out that I was NOT driving. I was up in the hills drinking with friends watching guys ride dirtbikes and just partying it up. As I always have done up there, (it was getting late) I crawled my drunk *** into my truck and went to sleep. Even when Im intoxicated, I know darn well not to drive, and never intended on it, but I woke up to the cops tapping on my window. I wanted to fight the DUI charge, but decided to take a plea bargain because I couldnt afford to keep the case going. So here I am....a whopping 5 days of house arrest. It sucks, but I probably shouldnt have even been in the vehicle, so I accept it.

I dont know where that 10K figure came from, but to let you know, my fines are $1700 plus a 4 month alchohol program....and 3 years probation.....plus the house arrest. Not to mention a 6 month license suspension. However this is my first offense.....AND LAST.....but I would bet that the fines and punishment are much higher for repeat offenders.

That being said, I feel for ya.......I have been on the freeway many times and seen drunks all over the road......nearly being hit by a couple of em. Sadly, its very common. Too many drunks and not enough cops to catch em all.

Heres to "None For the Road"

BF69

seahonk
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
baadfish , did you have the keys in the ingnition ? if not you should of fought that ticket unless the laws have changed .:Food:

tacklejunkie
01-10-2009, 07:00 AM
My GF's old best friend got nailed like three times for driving totally drunk and they let her off with a smack on the wrist. No jail time and she's been caught three times! I say they should lock her up and take her car and license! Drunk drivers are completely stupid.

You can drive while doing a large number of stupid things, but drinking is not one of them. It just does not work, it distorts your vision! It will catch up to you sooner or later! I can't wait until it catches up to my Gf's old GF.

Skaguy04
01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Dont do it! Dont drive drunk.... it hurts...

Lost my uncle to a drunk driver 2 months ago... (in bako)

trail blazer
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Sorry to hear bout your bad luck bro
hope youre feeling better soon

Tail Chaser
01-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I dont know where that 10K figure came from, but to let you know, my fines are $1700 plus a 4 month alchohol program....and 3 years probation.....plus the house arrest. Not to mention a 6 month license suspension. However this is my first offense.....AND LAST.....but I would bet that the fines and punishment are much higher for repeat offenders.

BF69

That 10k quote came from a flick my Tvo started recording called .....MANSWERS
Very funny flick. They covered the crazy/funny things people try to beat the breatholizer.
End Result....It can not be beat.

Very rare for me to drink more then 3 beers in a 2 or 3 hr time period on the boat.
But I always make sure at least 1 hr has gone by without a beer before returning to port.
Not to mention docking and trailering a 26fter solo. You need to be on your A game.

Hitts0n
01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I try not to drink n drink.I use to do it alot.Now most of the time I just sleep it off.When I leave the Vine on the 17th,someone else will be driving! I know of so many dui stories with people getting off the hook.One co-worker I has with me last year in the lakers playoff vs the celtics we had a black out.So we had to hurry and rush to another house to watch it.This guy had 2 beers in his cup holder and was pulled over by the ventura county sherrifs,for running a stop sign.They seen the 2 beers in his car and pulled him out of his truck.Seen that he was honest,and was in the accademy,or something to do with getting ready to be a sherrif,they told him good luck and let him go.I was shocked! Cool cops in my book,but we know drinking and driving dont mix.No ticket,no nothing!

sansou
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
You could get to $10K + easily with private counsel (plus fines, penalties and assesments) on a deuce that goes to trial. Requesting "splits" on the serum/blood from the labs and hiring experts ain't cheap. On the other hand, a quality public defender will save you tons of dough and get the same results.

Baadfish....from the facts you presented, my first impression was: "Why didn't this guy get a wet reckless (at maximum!)". I know a handful of Riverside Pub Defs (& DA's from law school), and its my impression for the most part they do a great job out there repping clients. Sounds like you had private counsel (since you mention "cost" as a factor in not being able to reach a plea).

As an aside, it's my opinion the CA legislature needs to wake up and realize (like AZ and a few other states) that it is contrary to public policy to penalize individuals who choose to sleep off the ETOH in their non-moving vehicle, rather than hit them with a deuce. I realize facts drive the cases, but keys in ignition or not (and where the def is sleeping in the vehicle, and issues of "control vs. operating"), clearly a legally parked non-moving vehicle with a sleeping motorist presents no immediate danger to the public.

I understand the concept of deterrence, but in America we punish the actual breaking of the law, not "what he/she could have done". By this logic, we should take away fishing rods for fear of poaching fish. God forbid I fall asleep while fishing...a Garibaldi might bite.

In their quest to appear tough on drinking & driving (no doubt driven by their personal quest to be re-elected), legislators and judges have fashioned some ridiculous laws, with this being one of them.

Rant over. I hate when I see bum raps.

Sue
01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm the first one to admit I got a DUI 5 years ago. Utterly bloody stupid of me, but I deserved it.
The lawyer was $3K, the fines were $1,500, the alcohol ed program was $500, my insurance went up $500 a year, it was $125 to get my license back. I was on probation for 3 years, and spent a night in jail.

It really just isn't worth it.

Edit: Sansou, a wet reckless is the same as a DUI these days - if you're stopped and get a DUI, a prior wet reckless counts as a 1st DUI.

baadfish69
01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah....the cops told me on my way down to the station that I was "probably" going to be charged with public intoxication. It wasnt until they released me from the cell, that the guy presented a ticket for me to sign, and sure enough it said DUI. I did in fact hire an attorney, and I actually wish I would have just went with the Riverside Public Defender. It almost seems as if I got punished worse just because I did hire an attorney.

Anyhow, its all said and done now, so I guess it is what it is. The ankle bracelet comes off Monday......its driving me nuts! :ROFL:

You could get to $10K + easily with private counsel (plus fines, penalties and assesments) on a deuce that goes to trial. Requesting "splits" on the serum/blood from the labs and hiring experts ain't cheap. On the other hand, a quality public defender will save you tons of dough and get the same results.

Baadfish....from the facts you presented, my first impression was: "Why didn't this guy get a wet reckless (at maximum!)". I know a handful of Riverside Pub Defs (& DA's from law school), and its my impression for the most part they do a great job out there repping clients. Sounds like you had private counsel (since you mention "cost" as a factor in not being able to reach a plea).

As an aside, it's my opinion the CA legislature needs to wake up and realize (like AZ and a few other states) that it is contrary to public policy to penalize individuals who choose to sleep off the ETOH in their non-moving vehicle, rather than hit them with a deuce. I realize facts drive the cases, but keys in ignition or not (and where the def is sleeping in the vehicle, and issues of "control vs. operating"), clearly a legally parked non-moving vehicle with a sleeping motorist presents no immediate danger to the public.

I understand the concept of deterrence, but in America we punish the actual breaking of the law, not "what he/she could have done". By this logic, we should take away fishing rods for fear of poaching fish. God forbid I fall asleep while fishing...a Garibaldi might bite.

In their quest to appear tough on drinking & driving (no doubt driven by their personal quest to be re-elected), legislators and judges have fashioned some ridiculous laws, with this being one of them.

Rant over. I hate when I see bum raps.

CASTAWAY
01-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah....the cops told me on my way down to the station that I was "probably" going to be charged with public intoxication. It wasnt until they released me from the cell, that the guy presented a ticket for me to sign, and sure enough it said DUI. I did in fact hire an attorney, and I actually wish I would have just went with the Riverside Public Defender. It almost seems as if I got punished worse just because I did hire an attorney.

Anyhow, its all said and done now, so I guess it is what it is. The ankle bracelet comes off Monday......its driving me nuts! :ROFL:

"Ankle bracelet", that's gangsta....lol.....:Big Grin:

Darius
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
DUI, very sad i lost my good friend she was only some 19 years of age. Everytime i drink i am responsible i simply put the keys away. It is something so simple but people make a mistake think they are tough and macho and what not. Little did they know they are drunk, it does not matter if it's one two, twenty-two drinks just do not drink. I've sadly seen first hand how a death due to someone drinking has affected a family. Let me share to all of you what happened to my friend. She was with her boyfriend on the way back to school (UCR), she was in the passenger seat, her boyfriend driving. They were less than couple of miles to their destination, little did she know it was her sadly final one. On there approach to the off ramp, some lady who was drunk, and impaired took the offramp as a on ramp and sped up like you would do on a on ramp, but this was a off ramp, both cars collided. the boy friend survived, my friend was asleep and she died at the scene asleep. The drunk lady survived. This has been about a year ago, but i never stop thinking and wondering about her, what if's what if she was still here today just very sad, senseless irresponsible event caused by one drunk driver. lastly, the judiciary system is very slow in the justice department because there is no set in how many years this lady will be in prison for her actions. In the end, do not drink and drive, if you drink just drink and drink.

Samantha Portez 1988- November 31, 2007.

sansou
01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Edit: Sansou, a wet reckless is the same as a DUI these days - if you're stopped and get a DUI, a prior wet reckless counts as a 1st DUI.

Sue,

They are not the same. Far far from it.

I think I'm pretty familiar with the difference, having pled a client in 2007 with a .11 to a wet.

FYI: DUI vs. Wet Reckless: if you have professional licensing concerns, or ever plan on going to school and think you will be subject to moral turpitude concerns, the wet reckless, if possible, is the way to go...besides saving yourself some major bucks. Just my 2 cents...

Tail Chaser
01-10-2009, 06:05 PM
You get anything DUI related with a comercial drivers lic.
You can kiss any decent paying driving jobs goodby for at least 5 to 7yrs.
Doesnt matter even if it was in your personal vehicle.

I blew a .08 due to using listerine.
Was getting pulled into a scale up in Idaho a few years back.
I just got done munching on a bag of doritos.
Thought I would be kind to the DOT officers by using some mouthwash before talking to them.
Jerkoffs thought my breath smelled like beer.
They retested me 15 minutes later. I was fine.

Sue
01-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Sue,

They are not the same. Far far from it.

I think I'm pretty familiar with the difference, having pled a client in 2007 with a .11 to a wet.

FYI: DUI vs. Wet Reckless: if you have professional licensing concerns, or ever plan on going to school and think you will be subject to moral turpitude concerns, the wet reckless, if possible, is the way to go...besides saving yourself some major bucks. Just my 2 cents...

No probs, Sansou - I was just going by what they told us in alcohol ed :D
Although a DUI has no moral turpitude issues when it comes to immigration - crapped myself over that one!

one_leg
01-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I have never driven, or ridden, anything while intoxicated.

Skaguy04
01-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Sorry Alan, but its too easy!

I HOPE YOU HAVE NOT RIDDEN ANYTHING WHILE DRUNK!

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I used to ride my 1000 kawasaki around so drunk. That I had to time the lights.
If I would stop I would probably fall over. Actually any direction i would look other then straight ahead I would feel like I was going to fall over in that direction. Bike held a 6 pack of beer, or a 5th of Whisky under the seat :Cool: Good times.:LOL:
Rode it around in tornado warnings too. I was In KY at the time.

I never dropped that bike. Due to the fact that when I was drunk. I just rode around in survival mode.
When I wasnt buzzed.
All time spent on the bike was drag racing, doing wheelys, and riding around from 90 to 115 mph everywhere I went.
That was a long time ago.

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you have lived a shelterd life :ROFL:

one_leg
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I used to ride my 1000 kawasaki around so drunk.

It sounds to me like you are the one who is really lucky to be alive.

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I rode slow and carefull when I was drunk.
Most of the riding was on high speed country roads in Ky. Not very much traffic back in 1979.
I was only 19 at the time.
Sold that bike after riding it to Calif. To dangerous out here. As you know.

one_leg
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I used to ride my 1000 kawasaki around so drunk.

All time spent on the bike was drag racing, doing wheelys, and riding around from 90 to 115 mph everywhere I went.

I rode slow and carefull when I was drunk.
Most of the riding was on high speed country roads in Ky. Not very much traffic back in 1979.
I was only 19 at the time.
Sold that bike after riding it to Calif. To dangerous out here. As you know.

Now I am starting to get confused. Was it fast and safe, or slow and dangerous?

Tail Chaser
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Now I am starting to get confused. Was it fast and safe, or slow and dangerous?
Fast and safe when I was straight.
Slow and dangerous when I was buzzed.
Much easyer to tip over when your going slow.

BassFreak
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
A lot of us abhor and condemn drunk drivers yet would not even think twice before driving a boat after a beer or so. :Embarrassed: