PDA

View Full Version : Best brand

bigblue
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Whats the best brand for a fishing pole? Lures? Does the brand even matter?

nismotech91
01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
How much cash do you got to spend on all of the above?

pasadenafishin
01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Brand name loyalty my friend!

fish4keep
01-09-2009, 07:12 PM

The kind that will catch fish.....

bsp
01-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Best rods are Phenix rods, best reels are Shimanos, and lures vary from style to style, but Lucky Craft always makes good hard baits. Soft plastics vary a lot, so there is not one overall best brand, but one best brand for each style of fishing. An example would be that Lip Ripperz make the best trout worms. Brand matters a lot because some companies do not make nearly as good a rod/reel/line/lure as other companies.

tmartin
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Brands do matter, but its personal preference. I like calstar rods for salt and g. loomis and lamiglas for fresh. Reels I like Avet for salt and Daiwa for fresh, Shimano = problems for me, but the next guy will say the same for Daiwa. Its all about you and what you like. Rods not poles.:Thumbs Up:

BIGRED KILLA
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Zebcos..

Bigred

snag
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree with Calstar / Avet on salt water. These are both top notch products, although I'm still a bit old school and will still use a squider or a jig master at times on an old truline rod.

Freshwater? hmmm I like allot of stuff.

To be honest with you......it really come down to preference.and it all boils down to confidence in what you are using. (No, Zebco is probably not the 1st thing that comes to mind when looking for new gear) LOL.

If you're confident in your gear and tackle; you will most likely fish harder and concentrate on the task at hand.

And Yes, stay with the well known brands mentioned in the above posts...remember, you get what you pay for.

Tight lines to you

CASTAWAY
01-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Since you ask. Go to SavOnTackle in Santa Fe Springs and get yourself some Phoenix rods... They are quality. Catching fish, that's your job.:Big Grin:

sesgia
01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree Calstar/ Gloomis /shimano/Avet on salt water are good for local or 2 day and/or long range. when it come to fresh water i like gloomis/Phenix and shimano

HEMAN
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Best rods are Phenix rods, best reels are Shimanos, and lures vary from style to style, but Lucky Craft always makes good hard baits. Soft plastics vary a lot, so there is not one overall best brand, but one best brand for each style of fishing. An example would be that Lip Ripperz make the best trout worms. Brand matters a lot because some companies do not make nearly as good a rod/reel/line/lure as other companies.

i agree with what he says as well... although i'm strictly shimano rods and reels.. although i am not opposed to other brands.. just havent gotten to try them out very much yet. G Loomis makes some very nice stuff as well..
i do highly recommend Roboworms and Yamamoto plastics as well.

sesgia
01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
i agree with what he says as well... although i'm strictly shimano rods and reels.. although i am not opposed to other brands.. just havent gotten to try them out very much yet. G Loomis makes some very nice stuff as well..
i do highly recommend Roboworms and Yamamoto plastics as well.

yup i agree Roboworms and Yamamoto are the best plastics i every use

sesgia
01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Since you ask. Go to SavOnTackle in Santa Fe Springs and get yourself some Phoenix rods... They are quality. Catching fish, that's your job.:Big Grin:

why go there when you can go to Richard fishing tackle in Rosemead the price and service are good

a biley
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Shimano Reels are the way to go, My Daiwa Tierra broke, and I noticed that part was made out of plastic instead of "one piece aluminum frame". And although I really loved that reel too, I'm hesitant to buy one similar to it, I changed that out to the Chronarch 50mg today and it's friggin amazing!!! I actually like it better than the new Curado 200 E5 I got last week.

Rods I like the Shimano brands too. Crucial and Cumara is what I have. I have 2 Bass Pro rods and I like one of them, I'm getting a custom Phenix built for me because after picking one up at the store, I knew I had to have one!

I have 7 reels, 2 Daiwa Excelers (1500, 2500), Shimano Sedona (1500), Shimano Sahara (2500), Shimano Chronarch 50mg, Shimano Curado 200 E5, Bass Pro Rick Clunn.

Minor problems on some... nothing drastic, and it's true about brand loyalty, you grow up with a certain brand, you always seem to buy it. All our TVs are Sony, all our cameras are Canon, toothpaste is ALWAYS Colgate and the cars are all Toyotas. As for fishing, majority is Shimano, 90% of my worms are robos. All my hooks are Gamakatsus or Owner.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
What fishing application your looking for means every thing. Just like in golf mizuno blades have a beautiful feel and look ,and the best money can buy ,buttt there fairway woods ,and drivers suck. Its the same with fishing gear. Although im a shimano freak most of the time. I find some of there rods for some applications arent as versatile.i love the claris line better than the crucial for fresh water. In salt water from shore ,i love my 8'.5"fenwick hm7 rated for 8lb to 15 lb. With my shimano cardiff 300.shimano is my favorite reel in spinning ,and conventional. You cant beat the life time warrenty. If we had a little more info on what applications your looking for ,the members are always a big help. Good luck............................ Mike the pmb....

CASTAWAY
01-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I broke my jig rod so today I will be going to SavOnTackle to
see if they have a nice one or two..... Will need it for tomorrow.
Going to Lake Corona....

DarkShadow
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Those new Phenix bass rods seemed a bit heavy compared to other rods in the price range. Does anybody know if they have a weight list of their completed bass rods? I only see weight listed for their unwrapped blanks.

CASTAWAY
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Shimano- Sedona 750FB
Phenix-Crappie 1000
4lb P line.....

Hate2Fish
01-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm not into spending spending high dollars on a stick and reel--Target Store suites me fine.

My way of thinking presentation and quality line is the major issue

You guys have taught me quite alot this past year. Now just have to plop some bucks to become legal unlike all the poachers out fishing