PDA

View Full Version : 1-9-09 Dixon Lake

WaterBound
01-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Early morning had a lot of fog. Got a boat and headed around the lake. I only brought trolling gear, leadcore. Basically concentrated at the buoy line near the dam. Not too many people on the lake at all. Was told the tailwalkers went in on the 8th. Before long my trolling motor died. Thank god I remembered to bring the ranger station phone number. Was stuck on the lake for a while until it started back up again and I limped back to the dock only to have the motor die again just short of the dock. The ranger just came out to get us as we died near the boat dock. Kind of makes you think that they take their sweet time to rescue people. Now I know why the boat rental is only $25 for the whole day! Got back on the water and got nothing for the whole day. Saw most people on the north east cove and near the buoy line. The action seemed to be pretty good for boaters and shore anglers in this area only. Fish looked like they were all quality fish. Too bad I only brought leadcore and was told by a lot of regulars that Dixon is known for being tough on the troll. Saw fish being taken on crawlers, PB in chartreuse, Powerworms and minijigs. Long leaders seem to be better. Here is what I tried so you know what to avoid. I used flashers and dodgers with many sizes of rapalas, Z-Spoon, Roostertail, Panther Martins, Crawler, Hot Shots, Needlefish & Thomas Buoyant. As we headed in for the day our second battery almost gave out and it took us at least an hour to get from the buoy line to the boat dock at full power. Water visibility was awesome. I could see at least 40 feet. All in all this is a very nice lake in a great looking valley. Next time I fish this lake I will leave the leadcore at home.