PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Special 1/06/09

waterpossum
01-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I was just talking to deckhand Taurus about how few Yellowtail I saw caught in 2008. I myself caught exactly 0. Something took my line and it was off to the races. The problem was that I was fishing with my Californian bass rod and an old 5600 Ambassador reel spooled with 20 lb. Ande line with a long shank 7/0 hook with a 1/4 oz.slider and a live squid pinned on. Yes, people do laugh a the big hooks I sometimes use, but what do people know? The fish made several serious runs. Hunting bear with a BB gun would have been easier. Taurus kept by my side a gave good advise. Three good runs 20 minutes of cranking my little reel, an expert gaff by Taurus and there was a 38 lb. Yellowtail on the deck. I really believe what saved me was the hook. The fish was hooked in the upper jaw and his teeth were not rubbing on the line. The line was not even frayed. Tight lines, Smitty

Garrettc8
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Nice, congrats on the whopper forky! I was wondering whether that 1 yt on the fish count was a mistake. But good to hear it wasn't. Yellowtail in the winter months here is as good as it gets!

mybada
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM
So it was true... I saw that report too and i was like WT? 1YT croaker?
Wow congratulations!

jplee3
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
YT in these waters!? At this time of year?! Craziness!!! Congrats on the big catch! That's a *nice* sized YT too! Where were you guys fishing?!

JapanRon
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi waterpossum,

Good job on the fishy. I used to use the 5600's and 5500's Black graphite reels with spiderwire. Love the thumbbar design..... especially in the flippin' mode where all you had to do is release the thumbar to engage the spool !!

JapanRon

sesgia
01-09-2009, 09:34 PM
congrats :Applause: on your YT i land it one last year around this time but the water was around 56F and everyone on the boat said WTF. it was a 20lb and as for big hook i understand :Beer Toast: i have always use big hook. i like to use 6/0-8/0 with live squid or fresh dead for YT and WSB just remember those fish can really open there mouth

waterpossum
01-10-2009, 09:58 PM
YT in these waters!? At this time of year?! Craziness!!! Congrats on the big catch! That's a *nice* sized YT too! Where were you guys fishing?!

We were fishing in about 70 ft. of water near Rocky Point. Smitty